The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#158734 - 12/17/08 03:12 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
and we are stuck here in fogland with a cranky grandson! wish we were there...

#158737 - 12/17/08 03:52 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Nishnabotna]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Just worked for me

#158738 - 12/17/08 03:53 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Blast,
Thanks for posting that picture , I can now finish my dartboard.
grin
Stu

#158739 - 12/17/08 04:11 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ]
ChristinaRodriguez Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Rhode Island
Smash, you bring up very valid points. Certainly all of us know the merits of keeping a low-profile and not drawing attention to oneself. When it comes marketing oneself on the internet, though, a certain amount of “accessibility” is necessary. Blast has a great blog and wild edibles classes to offer, keeps everything PG-rated, and the personal things he posts about his life (including photos) only make him look friendlier and more easy-going. Those are huge pluses for a teacher. Besides, as a guy, Blast doesn’t have to worry as much from the internet weirdos as he would for his wife and kids (and he takes precautions with them especially).

Trust me on this, too: in regards to the internet weirdos, you simply cannot control what gets them all riled up (no matter how benign your material is) or how deep their weirdness goes. It's a personal assessment whether the risks outweigh the gains. I say this as a children’s book illustrator who absolutely has to maintain an internet presence for professional reasons AND as someone who has been the obsession of an individual for the past 5 years. I just wish they’d buy one of my books already!

#158743 - 12/17/08 04:28 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Blast]
KenK Online   happy
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Great picture!!!

I don't worry so much about posting pictures other than causing the women-folk to swoon (yeah, right) ... its the address, phone number, etc... that would concern me more. I don't post my last name because its VERY unusual, but still, if you search hard enough you'll find it. :-)

I've come to really enjoy the folks on this site. Its one of the best controlled environments I've seen (Thanks Chris, Doug, and Martin) and has some mighty MIGHTY knowledgable people.

Now my suspician about their drinking issues has been confirmed ... at least in Houston.

BTW, what's that pile of papers on the table? Maps??

#158744 - 12/17/08 04:34 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: KenK]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My photo used to be viewable at any post office.
They took them down.
that staged shootout at the San Jose biker Bar must have worked.
I feel bad for the missionary though.

#158746 - 12/17/08 04:40 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: KenK]
KenK Online   happy
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Christina,

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I've wondered about the problems faced by women (and maybe men too) whose professions require them to have an on-line presence. That stinks big time.

Ken

#158748 - 12/17/08 04:48 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: KenK]
Henry_Porter Offline

Looks like a fun evening.

Re: online privacy
As others have suggested, there is a continuum of anonymity and openness, of risk and benefit, when being online. Complete anonymity is nearly impossible to achieve, especially if one wants to interact with others online, let alone promote/market one's books, blogs, classes, products, etc.

I will note that a few months ago a person posted on this forum, indicating his entire family's upcoming travel plans and also mentioning a collection of valuable items in his house. It seemed imprudent, and as a test, I looked online for about five minutes, searching on his name (which was uncommon) and his city (which was posted in his public profile under "location"). I quickly found his house address (along with aerial photos of his house and neighborhood).

Now, in my neck of the woods, home invasions seem to happen with little more preparation than gathering fellow thugs, a gun and a getaway vehicle rather than online surveillance. Still it seems better to reveal less rather than more about certain personal details when posting online.

That said, I appreciate the openness and good will of folks like Blast, IzzyJG99, Christina et al who share their thoughts and lives with us.

#158752 - 12/17/08 05:10 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: ChristinaRodriguez]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Besides, as a guy, Blast doesn’t have to worry as much from the internet weirdos as he would for his wife and kids (and he takes precautions with them especially).

This is very true. One thing I'm very careful about is annoucing future trips. I know I can be tracked down and I know I have a beautiful wife and kids. It sometimes worries me, but I also have a lot of people watching over them when I'm not around.

As Christina said, balancing security against self-promotion is tricky. If I were impossible to find the Houston-area Boy Scout Council couldn't have contacted me about setting up a program with them (Woo hoo!). Luckily other than are old friend ChaoticKlown I haven't had any problems (Blast kisses foot of his St. Barbara icon).

-Blast

Edited by Blast (12/17/08 08:01 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#158769 - 12/17/08 06:06 PM Re: Faces of ETS [Re: Blast]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Blast
Luckily other than are old friend ChaoticKlown I haven't had any problems (Blast kisses foot of his St. Barbara icon).

I guess I missed that story?

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 196 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.