Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#158708 - 12/17/08 12:32 PM What works for common cold
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Recently I read a meta-analysis of what works and what doesn't for a common cold. You can find it here.

Some highlights from that article:

Vitamin C
Prevention
Generally does nothing if taken as a prophylactic, but...
"prophylactic vitamin C (when given to marathon runners, skiers, or soldiers in subarctic climates) reduced the incidence of the common cold by 50%. This appears to suggest that, when taken during periods of stress when the body's immune system may be weakened, vitamin C may help to prevent the onset of the common cold." and
"In addition, among individuals who experience a cold when taking vitamin C preventively, the duration of the cold may be reduced by 8%; the impact on the severity of the cold may only be slight, however"
Take home message - it probably makes sense to take vitamin C during the times of stress to prevent cold. If you do take vit C chronically your colds will be shorter by a whopping 8%!

Treatment
"one study did find that a single 8-g dose of vitamin C, when taken at the initial onset of symptoms, reduced the duration of the cold to 2.86 days, compared with 3.52 days with placebo. Vitamin C treatment does not appear to reduce the severity of the common cold, despite one study that found a slight benefit to its use"
Take home message - 8 grams of vitamin C in any form (even the "good" Ester-C kind) will give you epic diarrhea, but it may also cut the duration of your cold!

Echinacea
Treatment and prevention
"echinacea versus placebo for prevention, no statistically significant difference was found in terms of the number of colds, their severity, or duration"
"Two studies evaluated the efficacy of echinacea versus placebo in individuals who developed a complete cold on the duration of the cold. Whereas one study showed statistical significance, the other did not."
Mixed results in both treatment and prevention - it might or might not work

Zinc Gluconate
Lozenges
"The author of this review concluded that fair evidence suggests that zinc gluconate lozenges reduce the severity and duration of the cold when taking at least 13.3 mg of elemental zinc every 2 hours while awake starting within 24 to 48 hours of symptom onset"
Intranasal
"zincum gluconicum nasal gel spray shortened cold duration and reduced the severity of symptoms if initiated within 24 to 48 hours of symptom onset."

Although some studies have shown zinc lozenges to not be effective - there is significant evidence that they do work. Nasal gel seems to work the best

#158711 - 12/17/08 01:25 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: redflare]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
There was an article in the newspaper today revealing that chicken soup does indeed help fight off the common cold, or at least the symptoms.

#158713 - 12/17/08 01:27 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: redflare]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I can't explain why but I've noticed vitamin supplements work pretty well for me. I wasn't taking multivitamins for some years but started again a few months ago and there has definitely been some improvement. I've even managed to stay healthy when everyone around me got sick and I'm pretty sure at least part of it is due to the vitamin supplements. Working out more intensely again probably helps, too.

#158714 - 12/17/08 01:31 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: Nishnabotna]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
There was an article in the newspaper today revealing that chicken soup does indeed help fight off the common cold, or at least the symptoms.

A hand bell is also an essential piece of kit to help deal with a cold.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/17/08 01:52 PM)

#158720 - 12/17/08 02:21 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Jakam
Unregistered

In another post, I mentioned Airborne (high vitamin dose mixed in water) and Zicam (zinc) spray (not the lozenges)ended my cold 3 days before my wife, who caught it at the same time and did not treat with any nostrum.

I also mentioned I am a big believer in the power of positive thinking- I truly believe that Zicam and Airborne are going to work, while my wife is resigned to riding it out.

I think that's why placebo studies are so prevalent (and so erratic, sometimes)- folks think they're getting a cure, and their belief (or non-belief) affects efficacy.

#158724 - 12/17/08 02:34 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: redflare]
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I remember what my family doctor used to say:

"If you have a cold, you should get plenty of rest, eat healthy foods and drink plenty of fluids. You'll feel better in about 7 days. You also could do the same things and take plenty of expensive over-the-counter medications. You'll also feel better in 7 days."

#158802 - 12/17/08 08:15 PM Re: What works for common cold [Re: ]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Homemade chicken soup!!

When I make it, I make about 5 gallons and freeze a bunch. Dont freeze with the noodles in it, they nearly disintegrate.

#158869 - 12/18/08 04:59 AM Re: What works for common cold [Re: el_diabl0]
Jakam
Unregistered

Big Daddy, I believe it helps, thus, it does. The settlement is about lawyers, naturally, and package labels.

#159033 - 12/19/08 01:07 AM Re: What works for common cold [Re: redflare]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
I've had great success with my formula:

Get plenty of rest and drink plenty of fluids.

Although I do take a daily multi-vitamin and "prophylactic" Vitamin C as well, for some reason I am less sick and less often than my athletic friends.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 276 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.