Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#158588 - 12/16/08 03:54 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: CAP613]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: CAP613
Another thing is if you tow please make sure that the trailer is attached correctly. We had a fatal incedent yesterday that involved a run away trailer crossing the center of a four lane road and hitting a car.

I have a clear mania about making sure my trailer is secured.

#158594 - 12/16/08 04:47 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Yesterday the youngest daughter had to take me to the train station for work, and it was below 0 degrees F and snow and ice intermittent on the roads. She drove 10 mph below the speed limit, and complained about the idiots that were passing us just to get to the red light up ahead first.

For 19, I think she is starting to learn.

#158598 - 12/16/08 05:13 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
As anyone in emergency services will tell you, the 10 day window centered on Xmas is THE WORST for Motor Vehicle Accidents.

I just noticed this one. I'm traveling this weekend so its within the window. What can I do tomimprove my chances? I have:
1. CB to monitor conditions around
2. Good tires (BFG AT just bought first of this year)
3. Upgraded brakes, they are the same as police rated except for the police rating.
4. High end car seats.
5. BOB's/ GHB for the famlily.
6. I need to get winter blades still, I'll stop on the way home today and get those for both vehicles.

#158600 - 12/16/08 05:20 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Snow is falling in Cincinnati, OH area now. Temps below freezing, freeways jammed up already.

http://www.artimis.org/segaccess1.html

Looks like a bad day to have to pick up the kid at school! Just have to get home and stay. Good thing he listened to me this am and actually wore his winter coat!

#158601 - 12/16/08 05:29 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Eugene

I just noticed this one. I'm traveling this weekend so its within the window. What can I do to improve my chances?

Not much, short of driving a very heavy, large vehicle, like a Suburban or a Peterbilt.

My perspective is warped from cutting people out of cars - I think of driving as the single most insane thing you can do, with the possible exception of Russian Roulette.

I've seen wrecks in snow, rain, night and day, where the car was hit and where the car just went off the road and we'll never know why.

The good news?

Early projections show traffic deaths for the first 10 months of 2008 are down about 10 percent compared with the same period last year. Estimates from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that 31,110 people died on the nation's roads from January through October, compared with 34,502 during the same period in 2007.

The bad news?
31,110 people died on the nation's roads from January through October. That's 102 people a day, or about 4 people an hour, every day of the week.

Of course, compared to the over 459,000 Americans that die of coronary heart disease every year, this is nothing, but it's still a big number.

#158604 - 12/16/08 06:04 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Silverado, so close enough to one of those.

I also read somewhere that the amount of miles driven was down around 10% due to higher gas prices.

#158608 - 12/16/08 07:13 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I've come to the conclusion that paying attention while driving is something that is done only when drivers have nothing else to do. Unfortunately, there is almost always something else competing for their attentiveness.

On terminology, I prefer to refer to these incidents as crashes and not accidents. Calling them accidents seems to infer that it was something that couldn't be avoided. I also don't like it when people say that the weather caused a wreck. If that's the case, everyone who drove in the same conditions should have wrecked. Wrecks that occur during poor weather are generally caused by drivers who refuse to adjust to deteriorating conditions.

Condolences to the family, friends and coworkers of the officer that was needlessly killed. Unfortunately, it is not a unique occurrence. frown

#158611 - 12/16/08 07:40 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Eugene]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
As anyone in emergency services will tell you, the 10 day window centered on Xmas is THE WORST for Motor Vehicle Accidents.

I just noticed this one. I'm traveling this weekend so its within the window. What can I do tomimprove my chances? I have:
1. CB to monitor conditions around
2. Good tires (BFG AT just bought first of this year)
3. Upgraded brakes, they are the same as police rated except for the police rating.
4. High end car seats.
5. BOB's/ GHB for the famlily.
6. I need to get winter blades still, I'll stop on the way home today and get those for both vehicles.

You never know when your time is up, but a coupla things I think improve one's chances:

- seatbelts, everyone, all the time.
- drive on divided highways (avoid headons)
- driver slower, speed kills
- drive alert, rest often. Get fat eating burgers at greasy spoons along the way. Don't drive tired no matter what you do.
- cellphone for 911 calls.
- FAK and roadsign assistance stuff, and the wits to know when to use either. 911 is always your first option. Actually getting out of your car and helping at a roadside accident is not always something you can do without getting killed or putting your family in danger.
- Your AAA card and phone number.
- yield. Smile. Yield again. Don't worry about it, they'll just assume you are Norwegian.

#158615 - 12/16/08 08:04 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Lono]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
+10 on the driving only when rested. Few years ago I drove 3 hours one way to help my brother in law rebuild his front porch. Nice october day, windy and drizzle all day! I was back on the road by 5pm and after an hour realized that I had no buisness being on the road. Pulled into a rest stop laid the seat back and instead of waking up to my wristwatch alarm 45 min later, I woke up to a NY State Trooper knocking on my window 2 hours later!
Turns out the trooper was my best friend from grade school whom I hadn't seen in 18 years.

#158622 - 12/16/08 09:30 PM Re: Just slow down [Re: Lono]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

- seatbelts always. In laws won't ride in our vehicles because anymore due to that rule, so it has a bonus advantage smile
- All highway until we hit route 7 in morgantown
- I get tailgated and flashed at often for going the speed limit or below. With the cap I not have three layers of tinted glass to block the light and a trailer hitch for the tailgaters.
- we have to stop often, kids get bored. I make the wife swap cd's when there are no Christian stations.
- both cell phones, check
- first aid kit in the cab under the seat and in the cap.
- have tools and breakdown gear.
- AAA card, etc
- check.

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.