Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#158095 - 12/12/08 04:05 PM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Good point, but the Israeli gas masks sold over here are not second hand/expired. I have seen new ones for sale for about $50 - these are made in pretty huge quantities as far as I can tell and probably the cheapest decent gas mask out there.

#158179 - 12/13/08 08:01 AM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: Tom_L]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Good point, but the Israeli gas masks sold over here are not second hand/expired. I have seen new ones for sale for about $50 - these are made in pretty huge quantities as far as I can tell and probably the cheapest decent gas mask out there.

Surplus Israeli masks are generally suplied with a teargas caninster, not the NBC one.

#158233 - 12/13/08 10:51 PM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: Nicodemus]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I can remember reading somewhere that a typical gas mask filter is going to deteriorate after so many years of storage, so it kind of makes me wonder if a gas mask is going to protect you if you've had one in storage for x number of years. LW.

#158300 - 12/14/08 08:41 AM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: BigCityHillbilly
I can remember reading somewhere that a typical gas mask filter is going to deteriorate after so many years of storage, so it kind of makes me wonder if a gas mask is going to protect you if you've had one in storage for x number of years. LW.

Gasmasks are made from rubber, which will degrade after time. This will cause masks to leak. The problem generally can't be detected by the wearer, but only by testing equipment. The shelf life of gasmask are usually about 10 years and the canisters range from 5 to 20 years.

#158307 - 12/14/08 12:57 PM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: Nicodemus]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I read the instruction and I found some more weak points:
- the filter does not have a defined pressure difference, too much makes it hard to inhale, too little lets unfiltered gas through
- the nose is left open, depending on the resistance of the filter a certain percentage of gas is inhaled through the nose
- there is no inhale valve, that will cause CO2 and moisture to flow back to the inhalation tube due to the fluctuation of pressure during breathing
- the exhale valve is designed to work under water, the closing time may cause leaks on inhaling when used on dry land, I would not trust it to seal properly anyway
- when the mouthpiece is not sealed carefully with the lips it will allow unfiltered gas to leak in
- the mouthpiece will not allow to speak

Considering those weaknesses in addition to the lack of eye protection the mask may give a false sense of safety. The gas mask must be used properly all the time or else there will be a complete bypass for the unfiltered gas. A stress situation is bound to lead to erratic use as the mistakes are fairly easy to make. If there is a need to own a gas mask a proper specimen should be bought and proper maintenance should be done too.

#158308 - 12/14/08 01:06 PM Re: DIY Gas Mask [Re: Tjin]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The really weak points are the valves. They degrade much faster than the rest of the mask. The problem is that they get stiffer and no longer work properly. The difference between a good valve and a one that is past itīs prime is barely noticeable especially if you are not an expert. So at least the valves should be replaced on a mask bought from surplus.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.