The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#158014 - 12/11/08 07:43 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Stu]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Hi SBRaider, I knew about it. Thanks for the tip though.

#158016 - 12/11/08 08:11 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: raptor]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: raptor
Hi yelp, yes, it is located in Europe but it is just Czech on-line store - www.mujnuz.cz (alternative address: www.nuz-knife-messer.cz). I guess it won´t be useful to anyone outside the Czech Republic because it is not some reseller for whole Europe or something like that.

Still fantastic info since a lot of us travel. Great to know if we have to have some items shipped to an in-country hotel (or what have you). Thanks again.

#158019 - 12/11/08 08:37 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: yelp]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

No problem, yelp.

#158031 - 12/11/08 11:21 PM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: BOD]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: BOD
Too sophisticated a technology.

*looks around and whispers*
Uh, dude, you do realize you are saying that on the internet, probably using a computer that has more calculating power than all of pre-1980 world and more storage than the sum total of all printed texts in human history, assuming you optimize the file format.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#158151 - 12/13/08 02:46 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: ironraven]
BOD Offline

Loc: paleotropics
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Too sophisticated a technology.

*looks around and whispers*
Uh, dude, you do realize you are saying that on the internet, probably using a computer that has more calculating power than all of pre-1980 world and more storage than the sum total of all printed texts in human history, assuming you optimize the file format.

I sure do which is why I wouldn't rely on it to start a fire in the bush or anywhere else. smile

And if I were in survival mode a pencil and notebook are more reliable than a laptop

There is no laptop or Blackberry in my BOB - only a cheap phone which uses little power.

I'm sure SparKlites are generally well made but not as reliable as a fire steel or a piece of flint or even bamboo.

#158153 - 12/13/08 02:58 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: BOD]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I'm sure SparKlites are generally well made but not as reliable as a fire steel or a piece of flint or even bamboo.

Kindly break your arm/wrist and then please demonstrate starting a fire with your fire steel. Please post video for us all to watch the fun... crazy

The point being that "reliable" can mean different things, depending upon the circumstances. A piece of survival gear that does not lend itself to one-handed use may not be "reliable" at all if you only have one hand to use.

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#158159 - 12/13/08 03:36 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: BOD]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
not as reliable as a fire steel or a piece of flint or even bamboo.

Unlike Doug, I'll let you keep both arms, but I still say prove it.

And it by any measure more time and weight efficient. Bushcraft is great if you've got the time, but it is technology developed in an era when the average life span was under 40 years old. I'm stacking the deck- I'd have 52 aces if they'd let me bring my own.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#158162 - 12/13/08 04:47 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: ironraven
not as reliable as a fire steel or a piece of flint or even bamboo.

Unlike Doug, I'll let you keep both arms, but I still say prove it.

And it by any measure more time and weight efficient. Bushcraft is great if you've got the time, but it is technology developed in an era when the average life span was under 40 years old. I'm stacking the deck- I'd have 52 aces if they'd let me bring my own.

Speaking as someone who has broken his left arm/wrist 6 times and his right 4, (I raced motocross and three-wheelers when I was a kid and fought a lot) I KNOW how hard it is to do even the most mundane tasks with one hand.
Run to the can and try unzipping, do your business and pack everything back up with your off hand only. (Stay Dry,and don't get caught in the zipper!)
Now you were in a comfy cozy environment. Would you want to try that after having walked in the cold all day? How about after taking an unplanned swim in a near frozen pond?

If the SparkLite can best the BlastMatch, USAF Mg bar, Fire Steel, Lifeboat matches and a Bic in the cold hands of my 12 year old daughter (then, now 13) ON THE FIRST TRY to ever light a survival fire I think the "technology" must be OK.

All I did was hand her the DR PSP and told her "Make Fire". I had to train her on the others.

Go figure, A girl of 12, was able to make a tinder bundle from having watched me, open a PSP and spark up a tinder-quick with no help. Might be the best thing going for that one armed bandit now, huh?

Yes, I do carry multiple fire starters. I carry SparkLite, Doan Mg block, REI Matches in a W/P container, Fire Steel, and since I like to stack the deck also I have a "Torch" lighter and my bad habit forces me to have a Bic. The BlastMatch has been relegated to the survival junk drawer. Yes the SparkLite is rarely used, because I save it for the express purpose of fire when I have issues with all the others. (Or break my arm again)

Edited by Desperado (12/13/08 04:53 AM)
Edit Reason: Can't Spell

RIP OBG

#158258 - 12/14/08 01:33 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Kindly break your arm/wrist and then please demonstrate starting a fire with your fire steel. Please post video for us all to watch the fun... crazy

I am not the user "BOD" but decided to take the challenge.

It is actually quite doable. Since I don´t carry Spark-lite I thought about this and came up with this method. Just anchor the firestarter with your shoe and you are good to go. Video demonstration below.

videos:

.avi (DivX 5.1.1 Codec) video file - Rapidshare:
http://rapidshare.com/files/173143357/ferrocerium-starting_fire_using_1_hand-DivX_5-1-1_Codec.avi

alternative multiplatform .swf video file - Rapidshare (in order to play the video load the .swf file into your browser via File > Open):
http://rapidshare.com/files/173149218/ferrocerium-starting_fire_using_1_hand.swf

#158259 - 12/14/08 01:36 AM Re: Sparklite failure... [Re: raptor]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I congratulate you on your ingenuity. Now I have not yet viewed the video, but how did it work on wet ground (mud) in the rain?

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.