The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158147 - 12/13/08 01:45 AM Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
My preparation Plans and Goals continue!!

For the remainder of this Fall and throughout the winter, my plans and goals are:

1) Get through the holidays on a cash basis as much as possible.

2) Complete planning of backyard garden and be ready to start working on the Garden in March.

3) Complete research and planning, for a Hen House and Rabbit Hutch, gather materials needed, and be ready to construct during the Spring 2009.

4) Finish outfitting one of my bikes in the Stable.

5) Get my garage cleaned out and reorganized (bookshelves, etc). Get garage in condition to be converted to a shelter within 6 hours (again)!!

6) Update my Home Emergency Binder information.

#158253 - 12/14/08 01:12 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
1. Overhaul my gear and trade off or give excess away.

2. Increase my emergency food stores to reach the desired 1 year plus unrefrigerated supply.

3. Increase my Ammo supply.

4. Buy wooded land for a cabin

5. Start planning said cabin

6 come spring - Replace my beloved Yukon with another full size 4x4.

#158254 - 12/14/08 01:17 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
1: get shoulder healed.

2: buy honda 2000 generator

3: head to sunny az then ok for the rest of the winter/spring/summer. then maybe fl...

#158255 - 12/14/08 01:18 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: SBRaider

2. Increase my emergency food stores to reach the desired 1 year plus unrefrigerated supply.

If affordable, NOW is the time to replace the Yukon. The big three can't give the darn things away due to recent high fuel prices. I pass the Arlington, TX GM plant 3 times a week and they have plenty of extras. (Yukon and Suburban are made there)

RIP OBG

#158261 - 12/14/08 01:55 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Desperado]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Desperado

If affordable, NOW is the time to replace the Yukon. The big three can't give the darn things away due to recent high fuel prices. I pass the Arlington, TX GM plant 3 times a week and they have plenty of extras. (Yukon and Suburban are made there)

Won't have the $$ until April. I don't do car loans.

#158262 - 12/14/08 02:01 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: wildman800]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

1.) Finish closing my company and getting a REAL (as DW calls it) job.

2.) Reduce all debt to car payments (2 of 4 cars), mortgage (1) and 5th wheel payment plus "normal" bills.
Son (17) pays his, I pay DW's

3.) Finish BOB storage to increase room in above ground storm shelter.

4.) Improve home emergency binder / portable documents.

5.) Continue "training" kids/wife. Each camping trip includes training on some aspects of the BOB/PSK.

6.) Clean my garage.

7.) Teach my 90 lb German Shepherd that my lap is not her preferred resting place. She is in my lap now and my laptop is on top of her.

8.) Restructure my truck tool box to hold my FAK and GHB or get better bags to fit behind back seat.

9.) LEARN LEARN and LEARN more!

Edited by Desperado (12/14/08 02:10 AM)

RIP OBG

#158263 - 12/14/08 02:14 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Can't say I blame ya' there. Heck, by then the big three may be the big one or two. Or the SUV's may be RREEAALLYY cheap.

RIP OBG

#158271 - 12/14/08 02:55 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I don't do car loans.

Amen. My DW and I took the "no new cars" pledge years ago. At 25K miles/year, it made no sense for me. I pay cash for something nice but used, drive it until it dies or needs a costly repair, and go pick out another, whatever strikes my fancy, or looks like a good deal. It doesn't matter much, since I can easily get something different if I don't like it.

I donate the old one to charity or some needy person who can do repairs, or knows someone who can do repairs for them. I can do the basics and follow a Chilton's, but I don't like doing repairs. My mechanic is probably the most expensive around, and is known for his nationally syndicated radio program, but his work is always right and I trust him implicitly. I'm willing to pay for that, and for the certainty that my wife is driving a safe car.

Not only do I save on car payments and interest, I save on insurance, too, since I carry liability only (albeit with very high policy limits). The secret to this is to put a little aside every month in lieu of car payments.

As a general rule for new cars, I was taught that if you can't put at least 20% down, NOT including any trade-in, and pay it off in 3 years, you are buying too much car, and you'll certainly end up owing more than the car is worth.

Jeff

#158272 - 12/14/08 03:07 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I don't do car loans.

As a general rule for new cars, I was taught that if you can't put at least 20% down, NOT including any trade-in, and pay it off in 3 years, you are buying too much car, and you'll certainly end up owing more than the car is worth.

Jeff

You are dead on with that one!

I wish I could get down to 25K miles per year. Currently I am in the high 60K's per year.

I do buy new, but only finance for 3 years max. Then drive it for at least 5 years. During the "non-payment" years the previous payment amount is stocked back for the next down payment. I do follow ALL maintenance in the books from the factory. The vehicles would probably last longer, but I really don't want to risk it.

RIP OBG

#158312 - 12/14/08 01:22 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Desperado]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whats new? We finally got to where we could buy something about a year old. If you buy something decent it will last longer than 5 years, wife's Impala is a 2001 and is still good for many more.

#158315 - 12/14/08 01:30 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Eugene]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

I've never owned a new vehicle, often with careful shopping a 1yr old vehicle can be as nice as a new one.

#158319 - 12/14/08 01:51 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A few months ago I was looking at new trucks and didn't see anything better than what I had, but the engine was showing signs of wear, so I replaced the engine. Went to Ford and they ordered up a New (not remanufactured) long block. Much less than the cost of a new truck, no issues with someone else's problems and it came with 100K mile warranty. It cost more than a rebuild, but it's a new engine. Runs great BTW. Another thousand miles and I switch to pure synthetic oil.

#158323 - 12/14/08 03:34 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Russ]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only reason I had to replace my 200,000 mile chevy was because it didn't have room for child seats, I had to get an extended cab.

#158325 - 12/14/08 03:46 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Stu]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I've never owned a new vehicle, often with careful shopping a 1yr old vehicle can be as nice as a new one.

I had three reasons for previously buying new:
1 I usually waited too late to start looking (driven till the wheels fall off)
2 Warranty and extended warranty
3 Business tax write off.

Prior to owning my own business, I always bought used after long searches. Also always had company vehicles that were replaced at 100K miles regardless of age. As part of my compensation they were take home vehicles. I just needed wheels for personal stuff. Number two son is still driving my old 1996 Chevy 4x4 extended cab I bought in 1997. Honestly it is probably the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Wife grew up always wanting a jeep. When she finally got one she realized 5 full size folks don't fit. Now my F350 4 door has become the family car and the 5th Wheel pulling machine.

In three years or so, I will have to see what's available. I sure do like not having a payment though.

RIP OBG

#158333 - 12/14/08 04:11 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Wish I still had the old toyota farm truck I grew up with. I would just gift it to you. When I had it in 1987 it was OLD, but reliable and 4x4. Rolled it more than once in the pastures. Grab a tractor, roll it back over, lay in the seat and kick the dents out of the roof and your good to go! My relative/boss painted it safety orange as a joke so he could see us coming.

RIP OBG

#158337 - 12/14/08 04:38 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Careful with the old Land Cruisers. The metal wasn't treated to resist corrosion. If you notice the unrestored L/C's often let as much light through the metal as the glass. Lots of money to rust away.

RIP OBG

#158346 - 12/14/08 05:27 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

There was a company out there that made treated replacement body parts for them, but then you're back to the $75,000.00 thing again. Steer clear of the Land Rovers, unless you are an electrical / electronics genius. The things will go anywhere, but should come with an electrical repair kit instead of a spare tire and jack.

Edited by Desperado (12/14/08 05:27 PM)

RIP OBG

#158415 - 12/15/08 01:05 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: wildman800]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Implied in this post is a general fear of economic collapse/loss of food security/nuclear or bio Armageddon.

I'll suggest that if you haven't been raising up at least some of your own food for the last five years, a summer of trying just ain't going to cut it.

If you can't live "cash only now" it's not going to get any better soon.

This is the worst possible time to be pulling back from your network of family, friends, and yes, government.

No binder is going to help you keep food on the table if you don't have either the skills someone will pay for or the ability to grow your own - and sell enough extra to pay for the tools and taxes that go with it.

There is nowhere in the USA where you'll find a truly "self sufficient" compound. Nowhere. You need ammo? You need a shovel? You need a knife?

All of the fish are contaminated with toxins and you can't live off of freshwater fish for any length of time. The majority of the farms are growing genetically modified grains that can't be saved as seeds (they commit "suicide" unless they are treated with a proprietary gene modification process to allow them to sprout.

My point is that the world today is irrevocably entwined. Even Ted Kaczynski lived in a PLYWOOD shack, not one made of found materials.

I don't deny that being more self-reliant is a good thing, to an extent, but ultimately, it's a fools errand to really think that you're ever going to make things better without a network of people and institutions.

#158419 - 12/15/08 01:17 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I never saw it that way. I may have actually hijacked it into auto talk on the first page, which I really never intended.

I can tell ya' this much, if it is going to come down to "growing your own" (food, don't go there) then the problems are on the way to Mr. Darwin.

Sorry for the "auto talk" hijack.

Everyone have a nice evening

RIP OBG

#158803 - 12/17/08 08:23 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Desperado]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
* replenish food supplies (add more rice, pasta, and canned veggies)
* keep drinking water supply at above 1/2 full at all times. I have a bad habit of letting it get too low.
* get a checkup at the doctor. I havent been to a doctor in 20 years. Turning 40 is a great time to get everything checked out. (insert "bend over and cough" jokes here) I do however go to the dentist twice a year and am very glad I do.
* replenish stored gas now that prices are lower.

#158806 - 12/17/08 08:51 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: el_diabl0]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...insert "bend over and cough" jokes here)..."

i'll wait ten years, then do a black snake joke. (ps, blk snake is muchomore better than the prior silver stallion)...

#158868 - 12/18/08 04:56 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jakam
Unregistered

I suggest if you see a doctor that makes you bend over and cough you change physicians.

Now turn your head and cough.

Just Kidding.

#159098 - 12/19/08 06:05 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Trying to buy 5 cords of almond for a good deal smile [we got almost 2ft/snow in the last week and a half] and make the house livable w/out going into more debt. Then once completed pay-off student loans and work on the car payment (1). We have an `06 F250 that I use the crap out of hauling stuff, and a `94 Wrangler. Next car will be another 4x4 maybe a mini-SUV or Subaru.

Did I mention yet that you can just empty $ in a house.. L O L!!

Edited by ToddW (12/19/08 06:06 AM)

#159622 - 12/23/08 02:42 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: ]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jakam
I suggest if you see a doctor that makes you bend over and cough you change physicians.

Now turn your head and cough.

Just Kidding.

I knew it was something like that...like I said, it's been a while since my last visit to the doc.

Edited by el_diabl0 (12/23/08 02:45 AM)

#159629 - 12/23/08 04:26 AM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: ToddW
Trying to buy 5 cords of almond for a good deal smile [we got almost 2ft/snow in the last week and a half] and make the house livable w/out going into more debt. Then once completed pay-off student loans and work on the car payment (1). We have an `06 F250 that I use the crap out of hauling stuff, and a `94 Wrangler. Next car will be another 4x4 maybe a mini-SUV or Subaru.

Did I mention yet that you can just empty $ in a house.. L O L!!

Having been the child of auto parts store owners and worked parts on the side in a Subaru dealer trying to put myself thru college, all I can say is NNNNOOOOOOO Subaru. Unless of course you like paying thru the nose for a car comperable to a Kia AND then having to pay thru another orifice to repair the darn thing. If you are going import 4x4 then Honda or Toyota.

Edited by Desperado (12/23/08 04:26 AM)

RIP OBG

#159659 - 12/23/08 01:45 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Desperado]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've always liked the look and feel of a Sequoia. Unfortunately I don't have a spare $50k lying around.

#159661 - 12/23/08 01:55 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: benjammin]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

They break down too. Look at the 4x4/expedition/overlanding forums, there are those that spend twice as much as a Chevy/Ford/Dodge on a Toyota and break it just as much and cost twice as much to fix.

#159662 - 12/23/08 02:05 PM Re: Fall/Winter Plans Towards Preparation [Re: Eugene]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

On the Subaru I am not talking about breaking one, I am talking about the car not lasting on normal city street driving day to day. This is the only vehicle I know of that leaks more oil than an old Harley Davidson.

Any time one pulled in, it was GUARANTEED to be leaking oil if it had more than 10k miles. If I think long and hard enough I can probably remember the part numbers for the seals and gaskets to "fix" it. (for another 10k miles tops)

And don't let the salesman tell you that it was only the Loyale and early Legacy cars. The new one's do it too. The service tech's used to say the day Subaru fixes oil leaks will be the day they quit.

I swear the oil companies and gasket/seal manufactures got together and designed the engine for Subaru for free.

RIP OBG

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.