Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#158102 - 12/12/08 05:54 PM The Christmas Haul
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
So with the daughters visiting from college for the Christmas break, they both have brought big empty duffle bags in which to pack their boodle back to campus when they leave.

So where do we learn these pack rat skills from that fill our garages and spare bedrooms with gear? I guess I am starting to understand a bit better now. I am teaching it to my girls as well.

The girls are making quite a haul this year. Probably $2k between the two of them. I am giving the younger one my guitar, er, Sierra Nevada mouse trap, which gets it off my hands now. I wasn't playing it much anyways, and she asked for a nice steel string, so I can kill two birds with one stone there, and maybe upgrade to a better mouse trap sometime.

Then there's the usual clothing array to redo their wardrobe with. I get hit with that one at least twice a year.

If they were closer than a plane flight, they'd be going home with a load of surplus foodstuffs to get them by for a couple months. College students can never have enough noodles.

I had the wife wrap up all the items that the youngest left during her stay with me this last summer. She gets to open those before christmas cuz some of it needs to be consumed rather than transported again. Then there are the Lord God Humungous Professional cookbooks I got that she wasn't able to pack with her last time.

I suspect they will leave at least one load of goodies with us to ship to them after they return to school.

Oh yeah, they'll each get a trip to the doctor for a good once over, including eye exams and such. That pretty much kills the rest of the Christmas budget.

So how about the rest of ya.

#158107 - 12/12/08 06:29 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
DD1 (5yr) is getting her very own wristwatch, some personalized stationary with a fairy motiff, and three pretty dresses. DD2 (3yr) is getting "Moon Sand", and a big box of crayons. Grandma and grandpa arrive tomorrow so their haul will be greatly enhanced at that time. Knowing grandpa, there's probably a fishing pole in DD1's future. She'll love that!

I'm getting rain gutters and the movie "House of Flying Daggers". DW hasn't told me yet what I got her, but she's really smiling and has hid the checkbook. eek

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#158108 - 12/12/08 06:32 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, bought Christmas for a Salvation Army single parent family, and some presents from the gift tree at the mall as well. Sure is nice having enough to go around to share with others like this. Does a soul good.

#158113 - 12/12/08 07:06 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Sure is nice having enough to go around to share with others like this. Does a soul good.

+5 on that. We've had many blessing this year and know they aren't all meant just for us.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#158117 - 12/12/08 07:32 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: benjammin]
rescueguru Offline
Wanderer

Loc: Southeastern USA
DW got a new laptop computer, printer, and a boat load of software since she's back to college again. Helped out a couple of "brothers" who are having a rough time due to major illness in the families.

DW takes care of the rest of the extended family, thankfully, because I hate to shop.

I get the rest of the year OFF, starting today. I was caught in the "use it or lose it" mode on annual leave time. I won't give'm any more back. smile As for my Christmas present, probably the same stuff I get every year. Frankly, I'd just as soon have cash. Ya can't send folks to buy gear and expect them to get it right. Going to a major Gun Show tomorrow, who knows what might be found, hehehe. whistle cool grin

#158123 - 12/12/08 08:23 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: benjammin]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Wow.

We aren't buying any gifts this year, for anyone. This is only a slight change from previous years, in which we limited our gift purchasing to $400 in total for the entire Xmas budget, for all gifts purchased, regardless of recipient.

This year we are making ONE (nice) gift per child, and my wife and I are not really sure what we're doing for each other this time, I want a hat and she wants these weight things that hold down fabric when laying out a pattern. I can make those with some lead shot.

I asked that my family not give me any gifts, and instead donate to http://www.mercycorps.org/

We have been working, with some moderate success, at undoing the endless cycle of consume/discard that complicates our lives. Even my "emergency supplies" cache is both comprehensive and trim, if that makes any sense.

I have a long way to go before I can really say I've cleared the packrat mind, I may never do it. But we don't "do" the Christmas buying frenzy, and have not for about 5 years now, and that's working for us.

#158130 - 12/12/08 09:32 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Plus I owe Mr. Blast a solid, so I may end up making him a grab bag of stuff to repay my debt to Lafayette...I mean Blast.

Friend, you already paid back me. Your Getting a youngster started on fishing post will save me a lot of frustration and wasted effort, not to mention make my dad and my girls very, very happy.

-Blast

#158132 - 12/12/08 10:17 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: Blast]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Don't forget 2009 fishing, hunting, and etcetera licenses.

#158134 - 12/12/08 10:58 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The DW has given me a "wish list" that will take at least a year to give her.

Back to a wise hubby's wisdom: I'm going to school next week (taking DW with me) and when I get back, I'm going shopping for DW so I can at least surprise her with a few things that I know that she likes.

(Blast, Librarian, Kmat, and Clarktx--we'll meet y'all next week!!)

Yes, I am smart enough NOT to get her any gifts that I would love but she wouldn't!!!

#158135 - 12/12/08 11:05 PM Re: The Christmas Haul [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My dad, a copy of Munchkin. It's a great game, and I'm taking mine when I get a real place, so he'll need his own copy.

My mother is into explorer and medical biographies, so she's getting bios from antarctic and an everest doc.

Both are getting small kits they can stash in their cars, built into German-pattern mess pots.

My brother is getting flash drives. He needs a couple, and I had a good price on a couple of 8 gigs. I'll preload one with portable applications.

Extended family, donations in their name and chipping in on the family baskets.

Past three months, when I do my weekly shopping, I buy a ten dollar food shelf bag- my grocery store has them prepacked, just put them in your cart go up front. And I bought a small turkey for the food shelf for thanksgiving, and I've pledged a small, uncanned ham for christmas- pay for it next week.

For me, I'm still hemming and hawing. I need a new pack. It is down to the Jansport Carson which I like, and some other gear, or the Northface Crestone 75 which I REALLY(!!) like. I had them put 40 pounds in the Crestone, walked around for twenty minutes, asked for another ten. An hour later, we were up to 70 pounds and it was still comfy.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 609 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.