Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#158077 - 12/12/08 01:14 PM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: Stu]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Hey guys, I think the idea may be being missed on what is meant about an Arctic Survival Suit / Immersion Suit.

I suspect this suit is the kind needed for the region's environment. I am not a pilot, but have ridden in more small aircraft than I care to count and have done one drill in this style suit. I don't think there would be "room" to operate the aircraft in one.

RIP OBG

#158080 - 12/12/08 01:22 PM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: armageddon_aviator]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: armageddon_aviator
Dress for Egress !

P.S. I have attached a link to a picture of yours truly wearing the SRU-21P survival vest over the Judean desert.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alon.smolarski/FlightToLLMZ#5150765701379907026

Just curious, what is the hard grey object on your left shoulder on your vest? Almost looks like a large pager or is it a PLB?

RIP OBG

#158089 - 12/12/08 03:04 PM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: Desperado]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Desperado
Hey guys, I think the idea may be being missed on what is meant about an Arctic Survival Suit / Immersion Suit.

I suspect this suit is the kind needed for the region's environment. I am not a pilot, but have ridden in more small aircraft than I care to count and have done one drill in this style suit. I don't think there would be "room" to operate the aircraft in one.

That is what is typically referred to as a Gumby style suit. It is constructed of neoprene foam which provides both insulation and inherent buoyancy. It's traditionally what is worn by pilots flying the North Atlantic route, easily rented from numerous sources at a modest rate, and is rolled down to the waist during flight. Yes, it is awkward to fly in and has significant drawbacks. There's lots of variations of this suit by numerous manufacturers.

Another alternative is the "rubber" suit which is worn with included insulation. The Mustang Survival Ocean Commander is an example of this style. Somewhat better, but still inherently buoyant in some designs and still typically worn rolled down at the waist. Depending upon how it is configured and the insulation chosen, may also require a separate vest for enough buoyancy in the water

The latest technology are Gore-Tex based suits worn with insulation under and a inflatable vest over as they are not inherently buoyant. You can adjust the insulation for the expected conditions. These are the type suits worn by the military and Coast Guard aviation and rescue swimmers.

Some examples are the Switlik U-Zip-It Aircrew Anti-Exposure Flight Suit (this is a PDF file) or the Mutltifabs Aircrew Survival Suits. These are also made by a number of manufacturers with various features. These are worn just like a regular flightsuit (and are very similar in many respects to suits used for kayaking and sailing). These are what I recommend (and what I own), but they are much more expensive than the Gumby suits.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (12/12/08 03:07 PM)
Edit Reason: typo
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#158106 - 12/12/08 06:25 PM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: Doug_Ritter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
How about attaching a $5 strobe to the shoulder of a survival suit, maybe if they could've done something a little more sensible to signal the rescuers besides waving their arms and shouting in the pitch black they might've only spent an hour or so on the ice instead of the whole night.

Doug, you're right, they were HMs on the Darwin awards list.

#158176 - 12/13/08 06:38 AM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: Desperado]
armageddon_aviator Offline

Loc: Israel
[/quote]

Just curious, what is the hard grey object on your left shoulder on your vest? Almost looks like a large pager or is it a PLB? [/quote]

Hi Desperado

The "pager" is a CO detector.

I stopped wearing it. I realized I wouldn't be able to hear the alarm when the engine is on...

#158193 - 12/13/08 02:51 PM Pilots Survive Ditching Despite Mistakes [Re: aardwolfe]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I have compiled a few of my comments from this thread on my blog:

Pilots Survive Ditching Despite Mistakes: www.equipped.org/blog/?p=101
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#158208 - 12/13/08 05:16 PM Re: Survival in the Arctic - 18 hours on an ice fl [Re: armageddon_aviator]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: armageddon_aviator

Just curious, what is the hard grey object on your left shoulder on your vest? Almost looks like a large pager or is it a PLB? [/quote]

Hi Desperado

The "pager" is a CO detector.

I stopped wearing it. I realized I wouldn't be able to hear the alarm when the engine is on...

[/quote]

I figured it was something like that. I just remember having a two-way alpha-numeric pager that looked almost exactly like it. If it was a PLB I was interested due to size. Obviously, I am not a pilot.

RIP OBG

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.