Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#157941 - 12/11/08 01:24 AM Group asks states to track citizens' ammo
camerono Offline

#157949 - 12/11/08 02:43 AM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: camerono]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Any forensic ballistics experts out there? I have pulled many .45 ACP hollow points from different media. I seem to remember the tail of the bullet being somewhat distorted / damaged as well as the HP. Are these even going to be legible after impact?

This sounds like a "solution looking for a problem" type situation. The inventor built it and they wouldn't come.

RIP OBG

#157951 - 12/11/08 02:47 AM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: Desperado]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Someone just trying to make money by a new law/requirement by the gov. This won't PREVENT anything. If anyone does do this what will happen to all imported ammo? Illegal? hmm...

Edited by ToddW (12/11/08 02:47 AM)

#157953 - 12/11/08 03:12 AM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: Todd W]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

People- firearms are a legitimate topic of survival equpment.
The politics of firearm politics is not.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (12/11/08 03:13 AM)

#157954 - 12/11/08 05:29 AM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
camerono Offline

Sorry Chris.

Don't know if you are making reference to the post or comments.

I can delete if you like or please delete if you feel it is necessary.

I just thought it was an interesting article to kick around the campfire.

Thanks

Cameron

#157962 - 12/11/08 12:06 PM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: camerono]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I agree with ToddW....
Someone who is "concerned" about gun safety invented a new process that would "effectivley" track fired casings and/or recovered bullets to the purchaser. By the article statement alone the cost to the consumer would be a dollar for a box of 20, pretty much standard for rifle rounds. And 2.50 for a box of 50 pistol cartriges. That's for maintaining the data bases alone! This doesn't include the labor and machine set up or outsourcing to have the bullets encoded. It will pretty much "kill" all ammunition imports, unless foriegn ammo makers are willing to comply and will utterly destroy the hand reloading industry.
Not a good idea at all, financially for the firearms market. Also, seeing as how statisticlly most crimes commited with a firarm are stolen, the chances of the ammo for said firearm will be too.....
SNAFU just waiting to happen.

-Bill Liptak

#157964 - 12/11/08 02:27 PM Re: Group asks states to track citizens' ammo [Re: camerono]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Actually, this sounds like an excellent idea to catch those criminals who have left a bullet in their victim or victims. Surely this is a small price to pay to catch criminals who are involved in what could be the murder of some innocent victim.

Over time when the system of registration becomes effective there will be traceability of the ammunition to the source of production and then a paper or electronic trail to the perpetrator or legitimate owner of the ammunition. If the ammunition is either stolen or obtained through nefarious methods then this will at least give the police authourities a starting point to provide further information in an investigation.

With so many folks dying from gun shot wounding this can only be a good idea. It is a small price to pay surely if it saves the lives of even just an handful of Innocent victims and puts away the perpetrators. It will of course take many years to start working until the old ammunition held is exhausted. There are of course work arounds if the system or ammunition registration is implemented, but then again your average perpetrator probably isn't the sharpest tool in the box. Just remember to collect all your cartridges at the range so as to insure your not framed for 1st degree murder though. whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (12/11/08 02:31 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 287 Guests and 46 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.