Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Course' it would give you that Aura of Clint, ready to bivy on the
Eiger, before beginning his "wetwork".

#157023 - 12/04/08 01:20 AM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: clearwater]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Yeah, I cannot think of a more appropriate piece of clothing for an Eiger Sanction grin

Somewhere in one of Colin Fletcher's books he discusses "new tech" warm vs "old tech" warm clothing. I will see if I can find the quote as it really is a good one. Old wool sweaters fall into that comfort warm category that the lightest highest tech plastic fleece seems never able to fill.

A Dachstein sweater is one of those sweaters that is near perfect for sitting in a duck blind or crouched in a snowy field taking photographs of animals. Not always perfect in the pack, but a damn fine "warm" when the time is right.

#157030 - 12/04/08 02:46 AM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: Schwert]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
If I may quote from Complete Walker III (my dog-eared, edge-clipped, much loved, thrice re-stitched-with-a-sewing-awl copy from 1983): [and I'm quoting excessively because to do less would do violence to a damned good writer]:

'Quality of warmth. Both VB [vapour barrier] and three-layer systems, though they can keep you comfortably warm and may even at times make you too hot, never seem to generate the the "toastiness" that you often experience, even sitting still, when wearing a wool or cotton shirt and down jacket. Almost anyone who has tried both new and old systems will know about the difference. I recently confirmed it by ringing the changes on all three systems within a few minutes one windless evening when the thermometer registered 32 F. Yet I have never seen the difference mentioned in print, let alone described. The closest I can come is to say that "plastic warmth" rarely if ever seems to move beyond a mere absence of coldness, while "old-fashioned warmth" can and commonly does become a positive, glowing radiance -- a luxurious sense of well-being, a sensual pleasure.'

'It's interesting, I find, that at least some textile researchers recognize the difference. But although they like hell want to understand what goes on, so that they can do something about it with improved synthetics, the causes remain unknown. Naturally, the researchers will not admit, officially, that old-fashioned warmth is necessarily "better" than plastic warmth. And I guess it could turn out that the latter is more calorie-efficient or something. Still, sensual pleasure is sensual pleasure. And you presumably go backpacking for pleasure. But pleasure can be measured in many ways, and one one or them -- as TBs always remind you -- is by the lightness of your load.'

'So the future remains sweetly uncertain. ... I only hope you now know enough to go out and make up your own cotton- or polyester-pickin' mind.'

Well, Fletch is The Man, and a hero of mine. And I know exactly what he means. I personally suspect it's about holding water vapour close to the body. A mini-sauna is delectable -- ask any Finn -- but in my experience there's a nasty payback later in the day. So I've gone totally synthetic for long walks. But I wouldn't turn down a down vest around camp either.

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/04/08 02:55 AM)

#157058 - 12/04/08 02:58 PM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: dougwalkabout]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Thanks for the quote, excellent piece of writing and Fletcher hits the nail on the head.

Schwert, the army surplus is the real deal and a whale of a bargain. I have an orignal Dachstein sweater (cardigan not the pullover) and I have a surplus sweater and the wool and the knitting is exactly the same. I bought mine from an ebay seller, Northdoorway, who also operates a web site. Also try Swiss Link. The sweaters are sometimes sold as Austian Commando Sweaters. I want to find a zip front version, just because I think I need one somehow.

The company making Dachstein sweaters is still around, I'm not aware of any US companies importing the products anymore. Climb High used to be the US importer in the 1980's.
http://www.lackner-wolle.at/pulover.htm

The Dachstein sweater weighs a ton and packs down to the size of a VW Bug, but it I were out and the SHTF I can't think of any garment I'd rather be wearing.

#157068 - 12/04/08 03:54 PM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: justmeagain]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I am always looking for wool clothing in retail places on sale. I went to the Eddie Bauer Outlet store last month and found a $100 merino wool sweater on sale for $14. This summer I went to JC Penny and found a whole rack of clothes on clearance, and acquired two wool sweaters for $6 each. I also went to Old Navy and found a Cashmere blend for $6 and a wool blend for $4. The plus to finding these retail store blowouts is that my wardrobe is not all olive drab or navy blue solids. Functional doesn't always mean doing without a little fashion.

In the past, I've found used Pendletons and Woolrich wool shirts at thrift stores for as low as $5, but usually they price them up around the $15 to $20 range. Even at that price those shirts are much cheaper than new, and usually not much worse for wear.

I've also bought yards of wool fabric on sale and had my wife make various items, like a nice Pendleton wool anorak she made for me that cost me about $20. Unfortunately, I have been unable to break her of the habit of throwing my wool clothes in with the rest of the laundry; the result being my wool clothes eventually end up belonging to my daughters.

Wool was not at all practical in Florida. I got half my wardrobe back in circulation just by moving back to Denver. Wool has it's place, but is not the end all/be all for cold weather. Lucky for me, wool against my bare flesh is not itchy or irritating.

This morning it was about 12 degrees up on the train platform, with the wind chill putting it about 3. I had on my poly HD thermal pants under my black synthetic slacks, I was wearing my Thor-Lo hunting socks inside my oxfords, and I had on a short sleeve poly tee under my Eddie Bauer Merino wool sweater, with my London Fog rain coat with light wool liner atop that. Some lined leather gloves, a wool blend scarf, and a decent watch cap to finish the ensemble, and I have been nice and comfortable all morning. I may have to remove the poly thermal pants soon, as the office is too warm for all this clothing.

#157097 - 12/04/08 06:34 PM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: dougwalkabout]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for digging that quote out....really is a fine piece of writing. I mostly agree with it too. I do find that a merino baselayer gives me an excellent start on that toastiness that Colin finds even if outerlayers are plastic.

I have 3 or 4 pairs of Dauchstein mitts...all from the 70's and early 80's and would not trade them for anything. One of those surplus sweaters will be coming my way next year.

#157296 - 12/05/08 11:05 PM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: Schwert]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Damn, those Austrian sweaters are sold out already.

I tried to order last night and got tossed out of the order pages and by the time I got back today they were all sold.

Great find though.

#157646 - 12/08/08 03:10 PM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: Schwert]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Keep looking for the sweaters, they turn up from time to time at various surplus stores. I'm still on the hunt for a zip front version if I can score one cheap enough.

#157850 - 12/10/08 05:50 AM Re: buying wool clothing cheap? [Re: MichaelJ07]
Arjay Offline
Stranger

Loc: Kaua'i
Searching out the military surplus is worth the effort. Different countries use different kinds of wool. Some itches, some doesn't. With polypro or some such underneath, makes little difference.
My favorite wool pants of all time are the old U.S. Navy pants, especially the zip-up variety. Same wool as the ones with all the buttons on front. Very soft.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (7point82), 595 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.