Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#157732 - 12/09/08 02:16 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: MichaelJ]
Resqdan Offline
Stranger

Loc: ND
Lots of good ideas on here..
the best thing you can do is not advertise, but if its too late for that be ready to defend it.
For friends and neighbors just keep some small bags pre made for them..
Buy some big bags of rice and break it down using some quart size ziplocks, throw in some chicken and beef bullion as well as some packaged gray mix,
maybe some bags of beans
buy some big bags of hard candy to put a smile on the kids faces
maybe keep some extra hats and mittens or blankets for the kids in the neighbor hood..
you can see where i am going with that.. for very little money you can have a few of these bags set up, if they stop by you can make a big deal about how you didnt prepare as good as you thought and this is all you can spare, and let them know not to tell anyone where u got it from..
Your stash will be safe and they will be happy...

#157757 - 12/09/08 02:54 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Resqdan]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Resqdan
Lots of good ideas on here..
the best thing you can do is not advertise, but if its too late for that be ready to defend it.

+1 on that thought

#157817 - 12/10/08 12:25 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Stu]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Do not advertise.
Do not 'show-off' as if you have more than you need.
Do not stand out.
As previously stated... you have nothing to spare your family needs it all.

#157823 - 12/10/08 01:25 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Todd W]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Do not advertise.
Do not 'show-off' as if you have more than you need.
Do not stand out.
As previously stated... you have nothing to spare your family needs it all.

Till you child needs to see the doctor or you need a plumber
etc.

#158110 - 12/12/08 06:41 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Well, that's more of what the bartering larder is for. Even professionals need to consider upgrading supplies. The bartering larder is not considered spare either, it has its purpose.

#158174 - 12/13/08 05:54 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: benjammin]
sotto Offline
Addict

This is easy. In fact, I practice for just this scenario every year on the night of Oct. 31. The shutters get closed, the deadbolts are thrown, the front porch light gets turned off, as do all the lights in the front of the house, and all the doors and windows on the sides and back of the house are barred (best burglar alarm there is, and there's no monthly fee or pet food needed). I am "not home" for all intents and purposes. Not that I'm a curmudgeon or anything like that. cool

#158328 - 12/14/08 03:59 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Fleetwing Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle
My coworkers and neighbors have exactly the same advance warning of disaster and opportunity to prepare that I have. Warnings to prepare are plastered all over the buses and billboards in our county because we live in earthquake country, and expecting someone else to share their stash is NOT planning. Modern history (Nazi Germany, Rwanda, other places with societal breakdown) is full of stories of how quickly friends and neighbors will victimize others as soon as it is in their best interest to do so. I am not uncharitable, but I am not stupid either. Of course I would probably quietly share with persons I have an established relationship with and whose history with me holds promise of mutual assistance (a couple neighbors are construction professionals, another is just a darned upbeat person to have around).

#158400 - 12/14/08 10:49 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Fleetwing]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Seattle is earthquake country? I lived there for two decades and it was a fleeting concern best. The lone best example in the last 1,000 years being a few years back when a rumbler hit downtown. The larger issue for preparation I believe would be winter storms, power failures and possible flooding.

#158403 - 12/14/08 10:55 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: comms]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Thou shalt study the area thou lives in. Amazing what you can learn. You might want to stop and consider , oh maybe, Volcanos also?

RIP OBG

#158450 - 12/15/08 04:14 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
That is a very good point. I meant to put that in but forgot. The threat of Mt. St. Helens is now highly monitored and the damages estimated no where near May 18, 1980, which I lived through.

Mt. Rainer is the obvious target and the continued city encroachment is concerning. The more people living around it's slopes does not bode well for life lost through seismic activity or God forbid a full eruption. If the winds go northbound or southbound, Seattle or Portland becomes graveyards worse than Katrina.

The true blessing of Mt. St. Helens is that the winds traveled mostly to the east and plume of ash was mostly drawn that direction.

Seattle and the surrounding areas are prone to power outages from winter storms which knock down trees. This can leave homes without power in frigid conditions for several hours to days. Occasionally winter storms will lay ice and snow down and its difficult to get around the steep hills in town and in surrounding areas. The major thorough fares are generally not down for long.

There is also issues with flooding conditions in the spring as snow melt and spring rain over saturate the ground and rivers. Not an issue impacting everyone in the Seattle area but certainly potential victims in those areas at risk need to plan a stay or quick egress to safety.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.