Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#157422 - 12/06/08 11:42 PM Cpr and First Aid courses
Hookpunch Offline

I have signed up for a course over a weekend, the St. John's Ambulance version, something I think is always a good idea if just for your immediate family.

However as a bonus these type of courses would seem critical in a survival situation.

Just wondering how many on this board have taken courses.

Thanks

#157424 - 12/06/08 11:47 PM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Hookpunch]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch

I have signed up for a course over a weekend, the St. John's Ambulance version, something I think is always a good idea if just for your immediate family.

However as a bonus these type of courses would seem critical in a survival situation.

Just wondering how many on this board have taken courses.

Thanks

All four of original family. When "foster" moved in, he had to complete within 2 months.

Foster is in "" "" as it is a LONG story. Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. My son has turned that extra class into a profitable extra job more than once.

RIP OBG

#157432 - 12/07/08 12:03 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Desperado]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Desperado
. . . Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. . . .

That course is a great way to get into better shape, too. Swam my posterior off, often towing a "victim," every day for a solid month.

Also, consider taking a first aid course before CPR, if you've never had any FA training before. Rescue breathing is often included in FA classes, and it is the more important part of CPR, in the sense that rescue breathing is more likely to save a life than CPR.

CPR can and does work, but the sad fact is that only a small percentage of out of hospital cardiac arrest victims survive to walk out of the hospital. Again, CPR does sometimes work, and is a skill well worth learning. It's not that hard to learn, either.

I'm just saying consider taking FA first, since that's slightly more likely to be useful, then take CPR. But do take both, if you can. It's a good idea to take one that includes AED (automatic external defibrillator) instruction, as well. Most do these days, since AEDs are becoming more commonplace.

Jeff

#157440 - 12/07/08 12:30 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
. . . Consider lifeguard if time/money allow. . . .

Rescue breathing is often included in FA classes, and it is the more important part of CPR, in the sense that rescue breathing is more likely to save a life than CPR.

AED (automatic external defibrillator) instruction, as well. Most do these days, since AEDs are becoming more commonplace.

Jeff

On Rescue Breathing: I thought I recently heard something saying rescue breathing was being done away with? Is this true? Seems to me the goes against the "ABC's". I like breathing. If I have stopped doing so, I hope someone will help me.

On AED: I seem to remember that AED's were basically "step by step" follow the directions. Other than at your suit and tie job, is an AED that hard to use? Doesn't it really do all of the thinking for you? You know the "Automatic" part?

RIP OBG

#157446 - 12/07/08 12:46 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Desperado]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

On rescue breathing: Yeah, I think they may be going to "compressions only" CPR for citizen rescuers. Professional rescuers use a slightly different version of CPR. But mouth to mouth is simple to do and it works very well. Consider who you are are around most often, which is usually family, friends, and co-workers. M to M is something I might not want to do on some stranger, but I consider it an essential skill to have.

On AEDs: Yes, most models have very simple, clear, illustrated instructions right on them, and some have voice prompts as well. They are extremely safe and easy for anyone to use, by design. No thinking or advanced knowledge is required. But a little advance familiarization training will reduce stress, doubt and hesitancy, while improving speed and confidence in their use.

AEDs can make a HUGE difference in appropriate cases. Not all CPR cases require a defibrillation "shock," but those who do need it as fast as possible. If they get it even a few moments sooner because a citizen applied an AED before the rescuers arrived, it could make all the difference.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (12/07/08 12:52 AM)

#157451 - 12/07/08 01:06 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

I actually know a healthcare rep that may have some in her line. May just have to ask about that. I was thinking along the AED lines, but after the last wreck I was at during Thanksgiving holiday AND closing my business, I may just go EMT1 all the way to Paramedic on the side. I have a healthy nest egg that will allow no change in lifestyle for 14 years. I just don't want to touch it. Also need insurance. Wife med's $2500/month

RIP OBG

#157452 - 12/07/08 01:08 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Jeff_M]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Additional note: For those of you who carry a "pocket mask" or "CPR shield" device, first - good idea. But be aware that it can be rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it.

Jeff

#157455 - 12/07/08 01:13 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Desperado]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

. . . I may just go EMT1 all the way to Paramedic on the side. I have a healthy nest egg that will allow no change in lifestyle for 14 years. I just don't want to touch it. Also need insurance. Wife med's $2500/month

Great! If I can hook you up with any info or resources, I'd be glad to. Just let me know. And sorry to hear your wife has such medical problems.

Jeff

#157465 - 12/07/08 01:57 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Jeff_M]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
Additional note: For those of you who carry a "pocket mask" or "CPR shield" device, first - good idea. But be aware that it can be rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it.

Jeff

I would even qualify that statement as "rather difficult to obtain an effective seal on the face if you haven't trained and practiced with it, only somewhat difficult even when trained."

The other item up for bids is whether you are using a quality mask/shield or some POS that came with the POS "one size fits none" first aid kit in the break room.

Trained with several, found few I actually really liked. But better than being the recipient of someone's lunch/lung contents etc.
Jeff, PM OTW

Edited by Desperado (12/07/08 02:20 AM)
Edit Reason: PM Message

RIP OBG

#157487 - 12/07/08 04:54 AM Re: Cpr and First Aid courses [Re: Jeff_M]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Jeff your right in some respects, as a CPR Instructor we teach in the Heart Start Program just compressions if 1:1(after checking to see if the patient is breathing),if 2:1 we teach to do rescue breathing with the new protocols of 30:2 and 100 compressions a minute, (five rounds equals 2 mins the American Heart recommends before switching rescuers). American Heart Association recommends more compressions then breaths (see 2005 AHA Guidelines for CPR in Winter Issue Emergency Cardiovascular Care). The 2005 study indicated that keeping blood circulating to the heart for a longer time was more beneficial then stopping after 15 compressions for two breaths.
Any help I can give just ask

Mike

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.