The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#157299 - 12/05/08 11:14 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When push comes to shove, ya gotta watch out for number one...

#157301 - 12/05/08 11:18 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Stu]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Reminds me of Laura Wilder's "Long Cold Winter" Everyone was
slowly starving, some quicker than others. In the end, sticking
together and risking for others, saved them all. There also was a
lot of bartering etc.
One of the things that kept the peace was the promise of the end
of the winter, and those that gouged others during desperate
times would then lose any business when times were better.

If you think that you would be willing to shoot someone who
would take your kid's food, be sure someone would be willing
shoot you to get it for their kids. It would be pretty tough
to be under siege from the neighbors.

A strong community is the best chance of surviving.

#157308 - 12/05/08 11:58 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: clearwater]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
Well put Clearwater. I agree. Cooperation is one of the hallmarks of a civilization. The sooner people get to thinking this way in a crisis, the sooner things get back to "normal".

I believe that when you give, in good times or bad, you get more in return.

#157317 - 12/06/08 01:12 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: clearwater]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
A strong community is the best chance of surviving.

+10

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#157328 - 12/06/08 03:07 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Blast]
MichaelJ Offline

This is exactly the sort of differing opinions I was hoping for. Thanks everyone.

So the question (scenario) still stands. I've prepared food and water for my family of 4 for 6 months (if we're careful), as far as I know the most my neighbors have prepared for is 72 hours. If we all come together, does that mean we go hungry (and starve) together when MY food runs out after a few weeks of feeding all of us?

Here is where I loose my way, ethically speaking. I talk to my neighbors about preparing. I encourage them to stock up. We are already a close community and I imagine a crisis would strengthen that bond, but the fact is they think I'm nuts for stocking up for 6 months.

The best case scenario in the event of something big happening, is they all have been storing food and just didn't tell anyone else about it, then we'll all have everything we need, at least for a while. I don't believe that would be the case.

I know everything is situational and I believe that Andy is correct that we can't really know how we will react before that situation comes along.

I believe this sort of event would qualify as a singularity. We might be able to see it coming, but it's impossible to see beyond it.

#157343 - 12/06/08 05:53 AM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: MichaelJ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
MichaelJ

Evening to all.

In my immediate neighborhood, I built probably 65 to 70 percent of the homes. As such, those that are still occupied by the original owners are a tight group. There is a core group of us that Think Ahead as several call it.

I feel we have benefited from sharing knowledge and we also have a system of shared responsibilities.
Each of us has one of the Texas Tech Safe Rooms that I have described elsewhere, so that reduces my worry of someone banging on my door just as a tornado approaches.

We have doctors (1 GP, 1 Urologist and 1 Trauma Surgeon), Several ER nurses for Medical.
One Dentist
Two H.R. types (Head Hunters) Employment Survival
Multitude of hunters
Multitude of prior service military (pick your branch/job)
Three police officers
Couple of HAM's (commo)
With this group, we feel we can keep the "Think Ahead Group" comfortable for quite some time

This is something we don't advertise, but we do ask around to see if new skills can be added to the group.

We aren't a TEOTWAWKI group of folks, just hope for the best while planning for the worst.

We lack a Chemist / Wild Edibles expert, but nothings perfect.

Notice you can always find a HAM just buy looking at the vehicle antennas and home antennas

Edited by Desperado (12/06/08 01:06 PM)
Edit Reason: Forgot the HAMs at dinner.

RIP OBG

#157352 - 12/06/08 12:17 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Desperado]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Desperado
MichaelJ

Evening to all.

In my immediate neighborhood, I built probably 65 to 70 percent of the homes. As such, those that are still occupied by the original owners are a tight group. There is a core group of us that Think Ahead as several call it.

I feel we have benefited from sharing knowledge and we also have a system of shared responsibilities.
Each of us has one of the Texas Tech Safe Rooms that I have described elsewhere, so that reduces my worry of someone banging on my door just as a tornado approaches.

We have doctors (1 GP, 1 Urologist and 1 Trauma Surgeon), Several ER nurses for Medical.
One Dentist
Two H.R. types (Head Hunters) Employment Survival
Multitude of hunters
Multitude of prior service military (pick your branch/job)
Three police officers
With this group, we feel we can keep the "Think Ahead Group" comfortable for quite some time

This is something we don't advertise, but we do ask around to see if new skills can be added to the group.

We aren't a TEOTWAWKI group of folks, just hope for the best while planning for the worst.

That's awesome.

#157386 - 12/06/08 05:54 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Desperado]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

LOL! I was half-way through your post when I started wondering if they'd want a chemist/edible plants expert in the neighborhood!

I'm not sure my neighbors would let me leave, though.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#157395 - 12/06/08 07:28 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: Blast]
MichaelJ Offline

Thanks a lot all!

I live in Minnesota, and that's usually how I get people to take me seriously. I ask them if they believe that we'll have a big blizzard in the next five years. They always say yes. Then I ask if they remember a few years back when a ice storm followed by high winds knocked out power all over the city (some areas for several weeks). They always say yes; that was a really big deal here. Then I ask if they are prepared to live for a week of more without electricity in the middle of January. Usually this turns a light on. The trouble is keeping it on.

I agree with BigDaddyTX that I start to sound like a TEOTWAWKI guy, but I don't really fell that way. I do believe that a month without any resupply is possible, if not probable. Most likely though, I imagine using my stores as a supplement (as stated above) if my wife or I (or both) were to loose our jobs.

It's amazing to me how much we (as a society) have forgotten. With the passing of Studs Turkel a few weeks ago, I've been hearing and revisiting his interviews with survivors of the Great Depression. People in general seem to think that it's impossible for something like to happen again. Given the current economic news; I think it IS happening.

#157410 - 12/06/08 10:58 PM Re: What about your neighbor? [Re: MichaelJ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

That's the benefit of living in hurricane country. A slightly larger percentage of peopl have some preps stored away...maybe 2.5% rather than 1% shocked

-Blast

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.