The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156946 - 12/03/08 05:17 AM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: ]
aeaas Offline
Stranger

Loc: Boulder, CO
Here's the manufactor, not much info there though, at least a product name though. product page

#156947 - 12/03/08 05:48 AM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: ]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Quote:
Must be one hell of a pain in the a%% trying to boil any significant amount of water in an altoids tin(or similar size)

To prevent dying of thirst while you boil 1 oz of water at a time I hope you have a ziploc bag and some puri-tabs.

Not to mention the chance of burning yourself trying to manipulate such a small tin over a fire. You got more patience than I do. I would stick to the puri-tabs with the foil as a back-up.

Sorry I forgot to mention it, this isn't an altoids tin, it's the tin that came with the proforce survival kit (although I changed pretty much everything that originally came inside it)

It's about 4.75" x 3.5" x 1" and holds approx 1 cup of water (a bit less realistically since it wouldn't be full to the brim)

I also have gerber bags and micropur MP1 in it smile

Edited by Burncycle (12/03/08 05:50 AM)

#156964 - 12/03/08 03:17 PM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: ]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I've NEVER been able to get anything to boil or cook on those esbit stove tablets.

Really? I can boil two cups of water every time, nearly as fast as with an alcohol burner. I use a Ti wing stove, a MSR Titan kettle and a tight-fitting foil windscreen. I've used them for up to 5-day trips on the AT. I've also gotten rolling boils using a canteen stove and cup, and the original Esbit stove with a Sierra cup, as long as I make lids for the cups out of aluminum foil.

Maybe you've got a bad batch of cubes. Did you buy them all at once, or have you tried ones from different purchases?

#156965 - 12/03/08 03:40 PM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: jaywalke]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

Flatten a loaf tin (the sort I get curries in from the take away over here) and pack it down in the kit. Much more robust than using foil, much better capacity than an altoid tin

#157063 - 12/04/08 03:40 PM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: Burncycle]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Did you use a lid?

With the small stoves you really need whatever you are using as a pan to have a lid, to help keep in the heat. A typical PSK tin is wide and shallow, which gives proportionately more area from which to lose the heat so it needs a lid even more.

(But don't cook with an air-tight lid because it will go bang.)

A windshield helps, too, as you are aware. Even without, you probably got it hot enough to kill the germs.

#157204 - 12/05/08 07:05 AM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: Brangdon]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Interestingly enough I thought about that very subject about 3/4ths of the way through the test. It occured to me that there's an awful lot of surface area for it to radiate heat off quickly. I did end up putting the lid on it (slightly off center). The esbit was too far gone for it to boil after that but it may have gotten quite a bit hotter had I had the lid resting on it from the beginning.

#157297 - 12/05/08 11:07 PM Re: Boiling water in the PSK tin [Re: Burncycle]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Well, there may be a way to make a PSK tin that actually works for boiling.

Take a Nalgene bottle cup. Stash your gear in that. Using a side cutting can opener, take the end of a coffee can- it fits great as a lid, at least Maxwell House does. Couple of big rubber bands to keep the lid down, and a quart freezer bag or two to keep it dry. Won't fit in the pants pocket, but a jacket pocket, sure.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.