Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#157104 - 12/04/08 07:36 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Hookpunch]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Proof positive that there as many opinions regarding the "right" knife as there is opinions on the "right" gun, car, camper, mythical beasts come to rule one's TSHTF nightmares. To each his / her own.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

RIP OBG

#157108 - 12/04/08 08:13 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Desperado]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Don't know, as far as a practical utility knife goes I would feel very comfortable with a simple Scandinavian knife without a guard. If you ask the Russians, they treat the Finnish puukko as a helluva stabbing weapon at close quarters (The Finns taught them first hand during the Winter War 1939-40) and I guess you could try dig a landmine with it as well if you really had to. Your insurance probably doesn't cover that though so I wouldn't do it if I were you. wink

Still, out in the woods having a somewhat bigger blade is an advantage if you can afford the bulk. I like to wear a Kabar on my belt and a folder for smaller tasks. A Kabar is just effective enough as a hacking tool to cut shelter poles and the like without having to resort to an axe. Besides, I admit it's just a damn macho knife that I wouldn't feel bad about holding in my hand if SHTF. Which is just a little more than I could say for a Mora. smile

#157157 - 12/05/08 12:35 AM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Tom_L]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I don't think anybody is going to recommend just one knife, certainly not anybody on this forum.

I think I have managed to cut myself [nothing major - yet] either using or sharpening every knife I own, guard or no guard. I tell myself it is part of a process of learning to respect limits: mine and those of the sharps.

Edited by dweste (12/05/08 12:42 AM)

#157186 - 12/05/08 02:27 AM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Hand a bunch of 440A Indian made fantasy swords to the greeks at Troy.
You would be elevated to God status.

These 2800 year old swords and spearheads were dug up a few miles away. Even today they are pretty impressive and elegantly designed swords and spearheads up close. They just need new edges worked so as to bring them back to a useful sword or spearhead.

Replicas and a workshop course to manufacture your own bronze sword is available at http://www.bronze-age-craft.com/

#157229 - 12/05/08 03:12 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
RSK Mk3 vs Rant Drop-point ...

--Though I don't own one (I have the Mk3 instead) I see the newer style BM Rant drop-point as a very nice knife for survival. It does have the features I'd look for, but ...

--I much prefer the exposed tang on the Mk3. It gives me a sense of confidence that the handle is REALLY full tang.

--I much prefer the G10 handle on the Mk3. I don't carr for the rubbery handled knives.

--I prefer the screws on the handle - so I can swap it out with the orange G10 slabs ... if DR ever can get those out. I'm waiting patiently, just like I did for the Mk3.

--I prefer the metal half-guard for strength - and I do prefer having some kind of guard.

--I've liked the deep blade shape on the Mk1's & Mk3. That feature is actually what made me buy my first Mk1 years ago.

--I'm glad that DR didn't thin the spine of the blade just behind the drop-point - like the Rant has. I suppose the thinning would improve stabbing efficiency, but that is not what my knife is used for. OK, I might have stabbed a watermelon to start slicing it, but that's about it.

--I really like the stonewashed finish on the Mk3. Doug says it offers extra corrosion protection - maybe, but I think it also just looks really nice.

--I may be one of the few that actually likes the Mk3 sheath over other possibilities. I like the attachment options it provides. But then again, I don't typically carry the knife on-belt, but rather in or on pack.

#157233 - 12/05/08 03:33 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: KenK]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Nice discussion of the MK3.

#157394 - 12/06/08 07:18 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: KenK]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: KenK
RSK Mk3 vs Rant Drop-point ...

--Though I don't own one (I have the Mk3 instead) I see the newer style BM Rant drop-point as a very nice knife for survival. It does have the features I'd look for, but ...

--I much prefer the exposed tang on the Mk3. It gives me a sense of confidence that the handle is REALLY full tang.

--I much prefer the G10 handle on the Mk3. I don't carr for the rubbery handled knives.

--I prefer the screws on the handle - so I can swap it out with the orange G10 slabs ... if DR ever can get those out. I'm waiting patiently, just like I did for the Mk3.

--I prefer the metal half-guard for strength - and I do prefer having some kind of guard.

--I've liked the deep blade shape on the Mk1's & Mk3. That feature is actually what made me buy my first Mk1 years ago.

--I'm glad that DR didn't thin the spine of the blade just behind the drop-point - like the Rant has. I suppose the thinning would improve stabbing efficiency, but that is not what my knife is used for. OK, I might have stabbed a watermelon to start slicing it, but that's about it.

--I really like the stonewashed finish on the Mk3. Doug says it offers extra corrosion protection - maybe, but I think it also just looks really nice.

--I may be one of the few that actually likes the Mk3 sheath over other possibilities. I like the attachment options it provides. But then again, I don't typically carry the knife on-belt, but rather in or on pack.

Ok fair comment. My absolute preferred knife in a TSTF situation is a Fallkniven F1. I have certain concerns regarding what I want the knife to do. No least of whom is the ability to dig, pry under bark etc and being able to stab with it. In situations where bodging up a spear to deal with large predators may be nessesary.

#157399 - 12/06/08 08:00 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
'Less good' than what?
Less good as a bushcraft knife/survival than the same knife would be without the guard. Sorry, I thought what I meant would be obvious from the context.

Quote:
MK3 is lousy for cutting grass and vines, bettter buy a cheap Tramontina.
Is it the guard that makes it so?

I don't really see what the drawback of the guard is, nor do I think the MK3 is a fighting knife because it has one. it seems more like it helps with any kind of pushing motion towards the point.

#157408 - 12/06/08 10:43 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada

"Knives with guards are often used by Scouts and other children in Scandinavia..."

Don't get to concerned about dribble like this unless you are into carving. If your fundamental reason for having the knife is for a "Wilderness Survival Situation" then you want a Knife that will help you Survive. If the guard helps you or does not hinder you in anyway then leave it on. Silly quotes about the likes and dislikes of Scandinavian Scouts are particularly irrelevant when concerned with what makes a good usable survival knife to the average person.

boreal.net

#157413 - 12/06/08 11:11 PM Re: why no handguard on a bushcraft knife [Re: Brangdon]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Brangdon

I don't really see what the drawback of the guard is, nor do I think the MK3 is a fighting knife because it has one. it seems more like it helps with any kind of pushing motion towards the point.

The RSK Mk3 has a half guard for the same reason I prefer a half guard of some sort on all my knives, safety. EOD

I have never found a well-designed half-guard to create any problems using the knife.

Whether one believes a guard of any sort is a good thing, a bad thing, right or wrong, or simply irrelevant, is a personal choice. For survival use *I* prefer to err on the side of caution and safety. YMMV

The following comment is not directed at you, but in regard to some of the posts in this thread, and much of the discussion on the forum. Whatever you believe does NOT make you right or others wrong. Arguing for your point of view is good. Implying or suggesting others are wrong, stupid or otherwise ill-equipped if they disagree, is not appropriate. A wee bit of tolerance and adherence to our Rules and Courtesies and participating in civil discourse in this regard would be appreciated. Let your arguments be persuasive in and of themselves.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 364 Guests and 37 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.