Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#157050 - 12/04/08 02:27 PM Fireworks as emergency signalling devices
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Anyone here (besides me) consider this? I would think a cheap box of sparklers would be practical, conveniently sized, and cheap. Or how about a piccolo pete as a whistling signal, or a pack of firecrackers as a percussion signal, or a fountain cone, or a smoke ball?

Maybe I will have to reconsider what I will be putting in my PSK. There's some easy ways to make a lot of cheap fireworks more rugged and weatherproof.

Yeah, there's an associated risk of starting a fire when deploying some of these things. It should be managable if you know what you are doing.

#157053 - 12/04/08 02:30 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Probably work. As I recall, sparklers take a lot of flame to get going, so that flame might work almost as well. Some of the fireworks that really spew sparks would probably get someones attention...

#157056 - 12/04/08 02:51 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: OldBaldGuy]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

As an inducer for sparklers, we used to wrap the tip with a couple winds of cannon fuse. Worked like a champ.

One of them little boxes of saturn rockets (50 rounds that go off like whistling bottle rockets then end in a report) would be great for SAR once they got within a mile or so of ya.

It's a thought. It might not be worth the effort in some cases.

#157057 - 12/04/08 02:55 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I suspect that durability would be an issue. A few years back our squad club ran a fireworks booth, and of course I had to take my turn working in it. We found all kinds of CA legal fireworks that were leaking powder while still in the factory boxes, and some that would start leaking as you removed them from the box to hand to a buyer. It would be a real bummer to carry something around in your pack for emergency signalling, get into a jam, dig your made in China gizmo out of your pack only to find that it has leaked itself to death...

#157061 - 12/04/08 03:30 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
You'd have to be careful that you didn't start another california wildfire.

#157062 - 12/04/08 03:36 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

OR--someone would just write off your SOS as a jerk playing with fireworks-- "ya we were up on the mountain yesterday and some meatball was shooting off bottle rockets"

#157065 - 12/04/08 03:50 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: benjammin]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
benjammin.
During my desert days I would carry 2 full sized rockets in a 1 in. pipe attached to my jeep. Never had to use them for help but they made me feel good. once a year (4th of July) I would fire the old ones and put in new ones.

#157066 - 12/04/08 03:51 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
OR--someone would just write off your SOS as a jerk playing with fireworks-- "ya we were up on the mountain yesterday and some meatball was shooting off bottle rockets"

My thoughts exactly.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#157070 - 12/04/08 04:02 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, I can see where if you were lost and no one was actively looking for you it might be mistaken for goofing off. I was thinking more if you were definitely overdue and knew they'd be looking by now, it would be more effective then.

As for making them more durable, we found that judicious use of elmer's glue, spar varnish, and now gorilla glue will go a long ways to improving on longevity of these items. We were able to improve the shelf life on some of our fireworks by a factor of 10 or so.

Just looking for inexpensive alternatives. The best bang for my buck, you know.

#157071 - 12/04/08 04:10 PM Re: Fireworks as emergency signalling devices [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
As I recall, sparklers take a lot of flame to get going
Some modern ones have a tip that is designed to be easily lit. You can do it with a match or lighter.

They burn with magnesium brightness, but only for about 5 seconds which doesn't seem very useful to me. They are also quite crumbly if you bend them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 281 Guests and 31 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.