Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#156976 - 12/03/08 06:12 PM Night at the Cannery
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Those of you interested in stocking up on foods should track down their nearest LDS cannery. I went to the Houston one last night, had a great time helping package the stuff, and left with forty-five #10 cans of assorted rice, beans, wheat, sugar, macaroni, powdered milk and more for $178.

The process is simple, just call the local cannery and ask when you can come. The Houston cannery runs two shifts a day, one starting at 9am and the second starts at 7pm. When you arrive for the shift you hand them this form with your choices. Everyone else also hands the person in charge their forms and it all gets totalled up. Then the bulk packages are brought over from the wharehouse and you split into teams to fill, label, and seal the cans. As they are sealed others sort them into boxes according to the form you submitted. Once a bulk bag has been opened its entire contents need to be canned. This results in some overstock of stuff. Once all the shift's orders are filled you can pick stuff from this overstock to add to your order. You do have to pay regular price for it, but the prices are so low it's hard not to throw in a few extras (I grabbed three extra #10 cans of flour for $2.90 each).

The labels are all preprinted with nutritional data, storage lengths, and in the case of dehydrated stuff directions on rehydration. I had the smallest order of the 10-12 people there but even so we finished canning everything up in less than three hours. The people were all really nice and there was no issue with me not being a Morman and there were no attempts to convert me. A very non-denominational prayer was said at the beginning, but I couldn't tell any difference bewtween it and the prayers at my church.

Technically non-Mormans are only allowed one trip to the cannery, but this rule isn't always enforced, especially if you work hard and pleasently.

Anyway, I thought a few people might be interested in this so there ya' go.

-Blast

Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#156984 - 12/03/08 07:27 PM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: Blast]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> Technically non-Mormans are only allowed one trip to the cannery

For life?

#156991 - 12/03/08 08:15 PM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: philip]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

It's mainly up to the person in charge of the cannery. Back at Y2K people were coming in repeatedly, buying tons of stuff and then reselling it. This caused tax issues for the church and so they put the one-time-only clause in for non-members. The lady in charge of the Houston cannery seemed pretty mellow on this rule, basically if she liked you you could come back. She mentioned one non-member that had been back many times and was even allowed to borrow equipment to can stuff at home.

-Blast
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#156993 - 12/03/08 09:09 PM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: Blast]
texasboots Offline

Thanks Blast! Good Info.

#157007 - 12/03/08 11:52 PM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: texasboots]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Very nice idea... and worth looking into

#157010 - 12/04/08 12:10 AM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: Blast]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Wow. That's very cool.

Thanks for the info, Blast!

#157014 - 12/04/08 12:42 AM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: Nicodemus]
CDVXF7 Offline

If I visit the cannery, what are the chances I might exit the cannery in a #10 can labeled Soylent Green?

#157017 - 12/04/08 12:53 AM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Will they let you bring stuff, such as ammo or survival gear, and seal them into cans???

#157022 - 12/04/08 01:19 AM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Will they let you bring stuff, such as ammo or survival gear, and seal them into cans???

That is an exceptional idea!

Are the folks in the Houston cannery familiar with the people in Carrolton (Dallas)?

RIP OBG

#157024 - 12/04/08 02:08 AM Re: Night at the Cannery [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

At one time they did, I don't know if they still do. Now days you might just be limited to the bulk dry foods they carry. Call and ask, though maybe you don't want to mention ammo. Ask if there's anything you aren't allowed to bring in and put in a can.

You can buy heavy-duty mylar bags and oxygen absorber packets from them to seal stuff up at home. The mylar bags can be heat-sealed with a regular iron, there are directions on the internet.

-Blast, always trying something new.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.