Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156980 - 12/03/08 07:00 PM $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload?
camerono Offline

I hope someone can help me with a simple answer. I have done some research and even purchased industry magazines. I must say WOW! you can spend more on shooting and reloading toys than you ever could on a firearm.

Can anyone answer this for me?

1) What is the difference between $85 and $25 boxes of rifle ammunition?

2) Assuming there is a difference between $85 and $25 ammo can I improve in the quality of the $85 box of ammo by reloading myself?

Thanks

Cameron

#156985 - 12/03/08 07:40 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: camerono]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands

It depends on the use you need the ammo for and your firearm.

My first rifle that I handloaded for, reduced group size of
3" for 3 shots at 100 yards using Winchester Factory Ammo
to 3/4". And this was from my first attempt. Other rifles
are not so dramatic in the difference and a rare one will like
a certain factory ammo best.

With handloading you can tailer the load to the use.

Take a 308.

Load up 180 grain partition bullets and hunt elk.
Use 115 grain cast lead bullets and hunt grouse (if your state
allows). Carry both at the same time if the seasons overlap.

When I lived in Washington State I harvested a lot of grouse while
deer hunting using a slow velocity cast lead bullet in my 7x57 mauser.
I had to hand load for the cast bullets as no factory
options were available. Also the hand loads
for the deer were more accurate and higher velocity
than the factory loadings that were available (they tend to
underload the 7x57 in this country due to the number of 100
year old guns in this caliber still in use.)

Edited by clearwater (12/03/08 07:43 PM)

#156995 - 12/03/08 09:36 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: clearwater]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
It's likely that the more expensive ammo is more consistent.

Handloading can let you find what your particular rifle shoots best. To find the load you have to invest in the equipment (modest cost) and the time to learn how to load and then the time to experiment with the variables involved. (there are potentially lots of variables.)

I've loaded thousands of rounds of pistol ammo and saved $$ but I found learning rifle ammo loading and the necessary experiments to be tedious and so I really haven't completed them. Milsurp ammo is "good enough" for my rifle shooting. (I'm not a hunter though)

Reloading is interesting though so as a skill or knowlege item it could be another thing to add to your list of capabilities.

#156996 - 12/03/08 09:50 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: camerono]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Not knowing what loads the $85 and $25 rounds are, that is a hard question to answer. My gut feeling is that the high priced stuff has an expanding bullet, Nosler or similar, while the cheaper stuff might be ball.

The best thing about reloading is that you can tailor the rounds to your rifle. Every gun that I have ever owned had one particular load (that I loaded myself) that was more accurate than a similar, but different in some way (probably powder charge) round. I would take my reloading gear to the range, make up some loads, fire them, look at the target, whip up another load with different powder, or different amount, fire that, etc etc etc...

#156997 - 12/03/08 10:01 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: camerono]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Thou shalt remember to follow directions and proceed slowly.
I have been working with reloads from a automated progressive machine, and received on heck of a surprise in the form of half the cylinder and all of the top strap of a S&W 686 into my shooting glasses. This was a professional reloading company that supplied to OHP and many other agencies, not just some schmoe at the gun show. That said, when I had the time, I really prefer custom loads tailored to the firearm in question. Just be careful.

RIP OBG

#156998 - 12/03/08 10:01 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
If your time is free, handloading is cheaper. It takes me about
1 hour to do a nice job of reloading for accuracy for a box of
20 rifle cartridges. Cost of materials is between 1/3 and 1/2
of factory loaded and I can use the best bullets etc.

#157036 - 12/04/08 04:58 AM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: clearwater]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I've been looking into reloading too... I'd like to be able to do a decent amount. I`m looking at the Dillon 650XL and the 1050. The 550 may be a more economical choice but can do a good # per-hour.

My thoughts are I can spend 1hr a week re-loading so I want to be able to do a good amount in that 1 hour, and then each week reload a different caliber that I shoot often.

#157049 - 12/04/08 02:20 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: Todd W]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The $85 box likely uses the most recent component design, some of which may be hype, and usually involves a higher QC claim for release. Performance variance is not proportional to cost variance, so you may be paying over 3 times as much to get maybe a 15% improvement at best in terminal performance and/or durability.

You can always surpass factory ammo by reloading, if you are willing to make the investment and exercise the level of QC and analysis necessary. The basic "O" press, such as an RCBS Rockchucker is adequate for the task. A good set of dies will also be more than enough to improve on factory quality. From there, it is all about consistency; using case gauges, keeping the materials clean and undamaged, accurate metering of charges, concentricity of the bullets, etc. Then there's things like headspace and freebore, which you can take advantage of reloading that is impossible for factory ammo. Then it is range time, working up different combinations of loads, testing them, measuring them (muzzle velocity tells you part of the story), and basically proofing your loads to the firearm you intend to use it in. Semi-automatic firearms especially are sensitive to variations in things like chamber pressure, rise time, barrel dwell, all of which can be greatly influenced by reloading techniques.

All told, I have maybe $1,000 invested in my reloading setup, including half a dozen die sets for various cartridges I use. The offset is that after shooting 10,000 rounds of reloaded ammunition, I've probably amortized the cost of the equipment already. By and large, the best results I get with all my firearms except those chambered for 22 lr (which I don't reload for) are with ammunition I have reloaded based on a fair amount of experimentation and testing. Also, the range of loads I can shoot reliably in my firearms is far more extensive than what is offered by the manufacturers.

#157089 - 12/04/08 06:04 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: Todd W]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: ToddW
I've been looking into reloading too... I'd like to be able to do a decent amount. I`m looking at the Dillon 650XL and the 1050. The 550 may be a more economical choice but can do a good # per-hour.

My thoughts are I can spend 1hr a week re-loading so I want to be able to do a good amount in that 1 hour, and then each week reload a different caliber that I shoot often.

I have a 550. Excellent equipment.Have a friend with a 650. There's more stuff on it to set up and it isn't much faster. Simpler is better as far as I'm concerned.
Dillon makes good equipment though so they'll all work.

#157096 - 12/04/08 06:31 PM Re: $85 or $25 per 20 rounds and why handload? [Re: unimogbert]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If we want to move into a survival mode reloading, one could look for an old Lyman 310 "tong tool," or an old Lee Loader. Small sized, lots more work to crank out a loaded round than a fancy progressive tool, but they work, and work well. Over the years I loaded a jillion rounds of .30-06 and .30-30 with a Lyman. As long as you are using the same rifle you don't have to worry about full length resizing. The loader, a pound of powder, box or two of primers, and a handfull of bullets could keep you in business a lot longer than a similar sized bunch of loaded rounds...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.