Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#156887 - 12/02/08 10:01 PM Discover Channel says Fawcett Survived Crash??
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Did anyone else see the shown on the Steve Fawcett's plane crash last night - on the Discover Channel??

At the very end they suggest several key points:

--The body was 3/4 mile from the crash site (I think I heard the distance correctly).

--The large animals (black bear, mountain lion, coyote)that may have consumed parts of his body typically wouldn't drag the body such a long distance - they would have eaten it where it laid - or at most drug it a shorter distance

--The harness used on that plane was a multi-belt system used by stunt/acrobatic pilots and the central latch porton was not connected to the female latch-points.

--An animal would not have been able to unlatch the harness since it requires a rotation movement.

--Though they never said it outright, they suggested that the harness should have survived the crash without coming unlatched.

They indicated that the only real likely scenario is that he somehow survived the crash, unbuckled the harness, and managed to walk/crawl in the direction of the nearest town before dying.

They showed a picture of the female portion of one of the harness straps with no nylon strap attached. I wonder what happened to the strap. The portion was bright and shiny - like new. There weren't any obvious signs of charing. If the strap had burned up in the post-crash fire, I would have thought we'd see charred nylon stuck to the latch. Maybe not.

I can't help wonder what is fact and what is fiction for ratings.

#156892 - 12/02/08 10:18 PM Re: Discover Channel says Fawcett Survived Crash?? [Re: KenK]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I didn't see the show but I believe another possibility was that he didn't have the harness latched when he crashed and was somehow thrown clear. From what I recall seeing of the wreckage in photos, I can't imagine anyone surviving the impact. But stranger things have happened.

#156898 - 12/02/08 11:26 PM Re: Discover Channel says Fawcett Survived Crash?? [Re: KenK]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Lots of things could have happened.

He could have survived the crash, and been able to walk out that far before trauma or a cardiac event took him out.

Only to find out in a sceance (sp).

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#156955 - 12/03/08 12:53 PM Re: Discover Channel says Fawcett Survived Crash?? [Re: KenK]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
The one pilot said "I guarantee you that a wild animal could not open that buckle", so that's pretty much right out there saying that Fossett would have been the only thing capable of manipulating it. Whether he never buckled himself in, or it unlatched it before crashing, will never be known. However, from the pictures shown in the program, the buckle was very close to some major parts of the aircraft. Leading anyone with a basic knowledge of physics to realize that the part had to have been dropped there. Otherwise, it would have been propelled farther away from the crash site.

I was thinking when they were showing the video of buckle, I would have done something more substantial with it that would just scream "I survived". Like, putting it on a tree limb, on what is left of a wing, etc, so that people could see that it was placed there.

#156956 - 12/03/08 01:12 PM Re: Discover Channel says Fawcett Survived Crash?? [Re: ki4buc]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: ki4buc

I was thinking when they were showing the video of buckle, I would have done something more substantial with it that would just scream "I survived". Like, putting it on a tree limb, on what is left of a wing, etc, so that people could see that it was placed there.

I'm pretty sure that would be the last thing on my mind as I was crawling away from the wreckage.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.