Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#15690 - 05/07/03 02:07 PM Re: Contents of my mini-PSK
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
I'll say he did. The notion of so many options, not yet dreamed up. I've fixed more than one thing in the field or on the road with something I brought along for something else.
Biscuits

#15691 - 05/07/03 02:13 PM Re: Contents of my mini-PSK
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
I guess I never thought of fishing to relax because I don't fish, which seems a little odd to me because The first thing I'd do to calm myself would be to build a fire. The fire, is a sort of companion and lets on believe that one is taking charge and doing something about ones situation.
Thanks,
Biscuits

#15692 - 05/07/03 03:27 PM Re: Contents....SIMPLE SOLUTION
Anonymous
Unregistered

prepare the kit for the vent-so one for urban days-ones for hiking ones from hunting climging etc.

That way you carrry what u need for that situation eg-i wouldn';t put cord in if i was going climging \s i already carry 30m or climng assesory cord!

Mark

#15693 - 05/21/03 01:55 PM Open it up occasionally!
Anonymous
Unregistered

While repacking my mini-PSK (again...) I discovered that the plastic worm fishing lure, which was next to my Acme Tornado whistle, had reacted with the whistle's plastic body and was kind of melting it. Very strange. Needless to say, the Crème Lure worm got its very own plastic wrap to keep it away from everything else. All of which goes to show that just because you have a PSK, you shouldn't assume that everything in it is going to be OK six months or a year from now.

#15694 - 05/21/03 02:05 PM Re: Open it up occasionally!
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

checking kits is fun ! you got the chanche to try new things out with your PSK. i do save the idea's for awhile before i rip mine psk open....

#15695 - 05/21/03 03:06 PM Re: Open it up occasionally!
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Soft plastic lures are made soft with a lot of chemicals. Therefore the lures have to be kept in plastic thats intended for this use. Otherwise the softener can destroy plastic utensils and corrode metal. This is why I don´t carry soft plastic lures in my kits.

#15696 - 05/22/03 12:16 AM Re: Open it up occasionally!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I guess that should have been intuitive - it just really surprised me to see the side of a hard plastic whistle all squishy!

#15697 - 05/22/03 01:49 AM Re: Open it up occasionally!
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Maggot,

Even the plastic bag or plastic wrap around the fishing worm is not going to prevent the plasticizers from moving into other plastic items it is touching. Phthalate esters are used in plastics to control the softness. These are not part of the plastic structure, but more like dissolved in the plastic base, so they tend to evaporate or move around. This is why plastic gets brittle with age....the plasticizer has migrated out. Wrapping the worm in foil would be better, but even this will not prevent the plasticizer from evaporating and potentially changing other plastic items in the kit. Like Max said worms have loads of this chemical....excluding them from the kit would be my recommendation. I recommend adding wet, dry, streamer or nymph pattern flies.

BTW phthalate esters plasticizers are detectable in just about every sample of water, soil etc found on earth now.

#15698 - 05/22/03 02:49 PM Re: Open it up occasionally!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good point .... *sound of a loud sigh at the thought of opening the just-sealed kit back up to take that fake worm out* ... but on the flip side, that means another trip to K-mart to ponder the 3,276 artificial lure choices!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.