Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#156952 - 12/03/08 10:30 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Desperado]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
It's on Saint-Laurent street. I'll take the subway, in the center car, and watch out for suspicious packages and airborne spray releases...

Frankie

#156959 - 12/03/08 02:03 PM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Frankie]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Taking into account the short span of the complacent human memory, I think a reminder every five years is doing an injustice - it isn't frequent enough.

#156963 - 12/03/08 03:12 PM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Stretch]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
The more things change, the more they stay the same...

#156973 - 12/03/08 05:51 PM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Frankie]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Frankie
It's on Saint-Laurent street. I'll take the subway, in the center car, and watch out for suspicious packages and airborne spray releases...

Frankie

That's funny. Wasn't much for ambiance, but was worth the trip. What I genuinely call a "mom & pop hole in the wall".

Last time in Montreal was educational to say the least. Forgot my winter boots. Getting off the plane in January I expected cold, was 40 deg F. I thought, "no big deal". Next morning leaving Lowe's Vogue to go buy boots it 4 deg. F and there was a 40 MPH wind. I thought I would be a frozen texan before I got to the underground shops. The "Roots" store got all of my $CAN. for hats and scarves in a blink of an eye. My wife laughed at my hat until she stepped outside, then she stole it off my head.

Good luck...

Edited by Desperado (12/03/08 05:54 PM)

RIP OBG

#157008 - 12/03/08 11:56 PM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: steelie]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just posted about this in the long term section....

#157009 - 12/04/08 12:05 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: steelie]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Seems to me that the terrorists achieved what they wanted in Mumbai with a couple of guns, grenades and training. They'd probably get the same result running multiple simple attacks, or something like what happened on 9/11/01 rather as they would with WMDs.

Still, it may happen of course, but I would think smaller attacks and preparing for them first and foremost would be the best course of action for the average person.

That's just my opinion. I could always be wrong.

#157011 - 12/04/08 12:23 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Nicodemus]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I'd guess that the idea would be that a fairly successful attack with a radiological, biological or chemical weapons would have have a disproportionally large psychological impact compared to a conventional attack with guns and explosives causing an equal number of deaths. The object of terrorism is to cause terror; inflicting casualties is merely a convenient means to that end.

A successful bio attack would cause a paradigm shift. Imagine TSA having to search every boarding passenger for possible biological devices.

Jeff

#157012 - 12/04/08 12:26 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Desperado]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If I was an Islamic terrorist I'm not sure I would be seeking to use biological or nuclear weapons. A thumbnail consideration of the majority Muslim nations brings to my attention that all I can think of have high numbers of people concentrated in congested cities with large numbers housed in slums with poor sanitation and few medical resources.

Combine that with the religious demands of the Haj, the journey to Mecca at least once in a life, where Muslims from around the world travel from and then return to their communities and you have a formula for the very communities they ostensibly fight for to be the hardest hit by any contagious biological weapon.

On the nuclear side I would point out that the Muslim holy cites, Mecca, Medina and others, aren't exactly hidden. I don't advocate any such counter attacks and I don't know how the Uma, the Muslim people, would feel about it but I doubt facing in the direction of a smoking radioactive pit and praying would be as attractive as the situation they enjoy now. The unleashing of a deadly contagion that wiped out large numbers of their own population wouldn't make them popular either.

I don't know how terrorists think but IMO they aren't stupid, unaware or unable to think through such things. They may lust to bringing down the western world but not if the destruction primarily lands on their own people.

On the off chance they don't find the above logic convincing I would try to avoid probable targets and large concentrations of people. A goodly supply of appropriate masks, gloves and disinfectants wouldn't hurt either.

#157015 - 12/04/08 12:43 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Nicodemus]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...smaller attacks..."

Possibly a lot of them, all over the country, at approx. the same time...

#157034 - 12/04/08 04:03 AM Re: Bio attack likely in next 5 years [Re: Jeff_M]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
The human condition is to try to overcome trauma. How affected today are most people by what happened on 9/11?

Smaller attacks, on a consistent basis, would cause more psycological damage over a prolonged period of time. I'm no psychologist though, it's merely speculation on my part and I could be wrong.

As mentioned by someone before, speaking in terms of proportional responses, the more damage you do the more damage you can expect to be done to you. Maybe that's what terrorists want, I don't know.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.