Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156826 - 12/02/08 03:42 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: JohnE]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'm curious, what actually happened?

John E.

The accident happened just as we got there.
Rural I35 in this area has the shortest on-ramp / acceleration lanes I have ever seen. Basically when you reach the top of the ramp, you are in traffic.
The end of this ramp was just beyond the apex of a small hill/curve combination and was out of sight to approaching traffic.

A relatively new Chevy Impala SLOWLY entered traffic and was struck by a pick-up truck from behind at highway speed. This truck had just passed me earlier, and I commented on the fact he was going WAY to fast and had occupants in the open bed of the truck.

The back bumper of the Impala was pushed into the front seat passenger area and the two in the rear seat were deceased by the time I could get to the car. One occupant (riding on top of the crossover tool box) of the pick-up was ejected into the roadway and then his legs were run over by an 18 wheeler. Another vehicle then struck the pick-up from behind and had injuries inside it, but not nearly as bad as expected.

When I left the rig crossway blocking the lanes, traffic was already stopped behind me. I told my family to stay put and went to the Impala. When I turned to look back to my vehicle, my son already had the big vehicle FAK (it just keeps getting bigger) out and was headed to the car that hit the pick-up. (+1 for initiative - 1 for not following orders).

I went for the man down in the road and applied my belt as a hasty tourniquet to the one leg that was a total amputation + ABC's then ran back for the FAK. Bandaged the other leg (still don't understand why it wasn't gone also) and then the other wounds. USGI space blanket for shock and moved back to help son. (Honestly, I don't think he would have made it if he had landed in a trauma OR after the ejection, much less the amputation.)

First LEO's arrived about then, and really things get kinda fuzzy.

Distinctly remember wife and daughter had some "non-injured" kids in the trailer to shelter them from the sights. Other drivers helped also, but didn't get many details from them.

After it was all over, son and I decided to shower and change clothes before moving on.

Looking back, I have a small AAR:
1 gloves stored in heat of a vehicle degrade quickly. Buy Black Talon
2 More KERLIX, AB Pads, TONS OF 4x4's
3 Any spare space in your bags should be filled with Blood Stopping type
stuff
4 QuickClot bandages will be joining my FAK's as soon as ups gets them here
5 I really should not have obsessed on the resupply, I now see it makes me look like the horse's posterior that my ex-wife says I am.

And as my hero Forrest Gump said. "That, That's all I have to say... About that."

Edited by Desperado (12/02/08 04:09 AM)

RIP OBG

#156832 - 12/02/08 04:40 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
Thanks for explaining. Good job on helping your fellow travelers and kudos to your son.

John E.

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#156834 - 12/02/08 04:51 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
KR20 Offline
CEP

Loc: Arizona
Desperado

Take a look at Boundtree Chinook Medical EMP and NARescue for supplies.

I would avoid the Black Talon gloves, it is easy to miss blood that has gotten on you and you could contanimate other things. Look at a Nitrate glove ( Microflex ) the synthetic holds up to the heat a lot better than Latex. Do you have gowns, masks, and eye protection in your kit? If not it might be worth looking into.

Edited by KR20 (12/02/08 04:51 AM)

#156838 - 12/02/08 06:29 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: KR20]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Desperado, I agree with KR20 avoid Black Talon gloves it's too easy to miss blood on them, +1 on Microflex (good glove)+++1 on masks and eye protection (I don't know if gowns are worth the trouble but that's me) this guy was very lucky you came by as fast as you did, as far as the "driver" goes good move speaking to his "bosses", Don't sweat about being restocked, Tell DW more 4x4s for xmas (8 or 9 cases should suffice for a while) (snicker snicker)

Mike

#156847 - 12/02/08 12:12 PM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: kd7fqd]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
If there's one thing I've learned from this site, it's that you can never have enough 4x4.

#156855 - 12/02/08 02:39 PM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting crash. Be fun doing the diagram for that one. Great job on your part. Kinda exciting, huh???

#156896 - 12/02/08 11:18 PM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
Interesting crash. Be fun doing the diagram for that one. Great job on your part. Kinda exciting, huh???

Yeah, another reason I am glad I don't do that full time any more. Of course, they use surveyor's equipment now as opposed to that tiny cheap measuring wheel that bounces more than it rolls. It had been a long time since I lost my lunch at something like that. (since the OKC bombing) Lunch was much better the first time. Accident scenes and spicy tex-mex just don't go well together.

The one thing I have never been able to wrap my mind around is why when the blood and gore is splattered everywhere, I usually am not bothered, but just let the discovery health channel come on and I am done.

The only thing this one lacked was fire. I was amazed the gas tank did not fail catastrophically. I just knew there was going to be a fire, but thank god no fire. Son is doing well, we have talked about it at length. May just have to make a USAF PJ out of him yet.

OBG,

I already knew this, but this incident refreshed my memory. An F350 and a 40 foot 5th wheel with 50 gallons of fuel and 100 gallons of fresh water plus all the stuff in it takes a LONG time to stop. Don't forget that next time you hit the road.

Edited by Desperado (12/02/08 11:22 PM)

RIP OBG

#156900 - 12/02/08 11:33 PM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: KR20]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: KR20
Desperado

Take a look at Boundtree Chinook Medical EMP and NARescue for supplies.

I would avoid the Black Talon gloves, it is easy to miss blood that has gotten on you and you could contanimate other things. Look at a Nitrate glove ( Microflex ) the synthetic holds up to the heat a lot better than Latex. Do you have gowns, masks, and eye protection in your kit? If not it might be worth looking into.

Eye protection and masks in the small vehicle GHB, but son and I both wear safety sunglasses all the time. (Look like Oakleys but MUCH less costly)

Gowns I just don't have room for, and probably time for. A little gasoline and a match took care of the laundry this time. I will miss my belt, I made it myself years ago.

I actually use the Microflex in the trailer when doing the sanitary "doodies" at the dump station. Glad to hear they hold up well. They even have them at Wal-Mart here in town.

Thanks

RIP OBG

#156906 - 12/02/08 11:52 PM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Don't forget that next time you hit the road..."

Our home on wheels is only 35 ft, but you are right, they don't stop on a dime...

#159641 - 12/23/08 06:09 AM Re: Attention EMS & First Responders (Three Part) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
idiggHx Offline
Stranger

Loc: USA
... I can't even get my service to replace supplies that I use. Not that I would want their old, cheap, yellowed, crap. But I supply all of my own supplies. Though, I usually don't have a problem replacing supplies of those providing Initial care. May even trade a full O2 cylinder for an empty one, give if it's in date and not defective.

(For Kits and Disposables)
I find Pro Med to be the cheapest, but best quality.
http://www.progressivemed.com/

(for burn/IV solutions)
This one doesn't require a physicians order
http://www.bpmedicalsupplies.com/main.sc

Do NOT.. EVER... Buy from First Aid Only. I was spec'ing a kit, as we saw fit. A 50 Unit (b/c 36 Unit isn't enough) self made kit in a 3 shelf industrial box was my target. When I went to add the splint, I noticed that they sell the SAM Splint for $31 over the retail suggested price. In fact, most of their products, are gouged, at twice or more, their mfg.'s suggested value. So, I made a point, to tell them that their severely over priced splint, was the cause of them losing a $300.23 sale.

Edited by idiggHx (12/23/08 08:29 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.