Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#156827 - 12/02/08 03:58 AM Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
No, a picnic style salt & pepper shaker will not do. I have been checking these out and they are flimsy and let really fine powder escape even when closed. Preferably a Nalgin container.

I am looking to take plaster of paris, baking soda, etc. on my travels and do not want to involuntarily dust the inside of everything. Quantities from a few ounces up to maybe 8 ounces.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

#156830 - 12/02/08 04:17 AM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I looked around the nalgene site but saw no shaker tops. I emailed the company.

I should add that another reason the picnic-type shakers will not work is their volume is too small.

#156851 - 12/02/08 01:16 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: dweste]
paramedicpete Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Frederick, Maryland
Why not make your own. Get a spare lid for the size(s) Nalgene bottle(s) that will meet your need(s). For the spare lid take a hot needle and poke enough holes in the lid to accomplish whatever task for which you need the shaker style lid and use the solid lid for transport.

Pete

#156853 - 12/02/08 02:02 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: paramedicpete]
Jakam
Unregistered

dweste, I use an empty container from another spice- the 1 ounce Schilling nutmeg or cinnamon screw top plastic with a shaker top and a pour tab. Already meant to hold the finest powder without leaking. Stackable, thick enough walls, lightweight.

I just wrap them in tape or and/or use a sharpie to mark their contents- surgical tape for salt, electrical tape for pepper (white and black for easy identification)

Why re-invent the wheel, and one less thing in the landfill (used to drive my wife nuts, empty spice jars everywhere, now she uses the larger and larger holed versions to store and shake out beads for jewelry making, they stack easy and are airtight for silver beads and such).

#156854 - 12/02/08 02:35 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I was going to recomment an empty dried onion container. Made of nalgene type stuff, and a shaker top (with really big holes) and a screw-on cover...

#156858 - 12/02/08 02:59 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: paramedicpete]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: paramedicpete
Why not make your own. Get a spare lid for the size(s) Nalgene bottle(s) that will meet your need(s). For the spare lid take a hot needle and poke enough holes in the lid to accomplish whatever task for which you need the shaker style lid and use the solid lid for transport.

Pete

Thanks, Pete. I am doing that now with an old non-Nalgene bottle. Two things: (1) some of the stuff sticks to the shaker top and then I have stuff transferring everywhere from that source - also requires a freezeer baggy to store the shaker top which then becomes coated inside and out encouraging more inadvertent transfer- I would like to eliminate the transfer and the extra freezer baggy, and (2) in any breeze when the bottle is uncapped during the exchange of lids bad things happen (powder goes everywhere) - yes, I try to avoid this - and the annoyance of any unfortunate downwind companions - but it is a field reality I would again like to eliminate.

#156859 - 12/02/08 03:02 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Jakam and OBG - If I had these types of containers that were empty or almost so, then I would try them. I like the recycle aspect. I do not buy or use such volumes of spices or dried onions that this is a likely source, nor can I quite bring myself to buy such containers and dump out / give away the contents. I have spoken to a few friends to let me know if we can work a deal. I am concerned the material these things are made of is not very durable.

Edited by dweste (12/02/08 03:05 PM)

#156863 - 12/02/08 03:29 PM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You can probably find a spice type jar, full of course, at a "dollar store." Having only a buck invested, it won't hurt much to just dump it. Or you could put the contents in a ziplock bag and keep it for use in the kitchen...

#156938 - 12/03/08 03:50 AM Re: Looking for a well-secured / sealed shaker top [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jakam
Unregistered

That's exactly the scenario- I bought a bottle of "Italian Seasoning" at Big Lots, tried it once, it was old and had lost it's edge, so dumped it, cleaned the container well, and gave it a second life for coarse sea salt carry. I think it cost 69 cents. Should have known better, which is what inspired me to try and get something for the trouble.

Subsequently, as a spice container becomes empty, I save them. The glass ones for my wifee's beads, the plastic ones for our bug out/RV use. The cheap one was cheaper plastic and eventually cracked, but the Schilling containers are made from a thicker pliable plastic that seals well. And they're small enough to be portable and still have volume.

FYI- I carry, besides salt and pepper, ground cayenne (it can make the sorriest groundhog palatable-kidding, nothing does), sage, and oregano. My wife carries white pepper and has even kept soy sauce and sesame oil in them, although we have seen some seepage on occasion with the liquids.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.