Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156531 - 11/28/08 03:42 PM Are you prepared if you lose your job?
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
It is fun to talk about the best folder or alcohol stove. What about talking about a real, and potentially likely, disaster such as losing your job?

What have you done to prepare if you lose your job?

Edited by GarlyDog (11/28/08 08:10 PM)

#156533 - 11/28/08 04:20 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: GarlyDog]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
My workplace suffered from some lay offs last year for the first time in the 30 some years they've been in business. You see they had just had their first change of management. This was a wake up call to us here and we naturally started making preperations.

The first and most obvious update your resume.

Second, learn how to use the modern day tools for finding work, if you don't already know.

Then start looking! Don't wait till your out of work to start this part that's like reading the Survival Book while the ship is going down. Know whats out there. Just don't commit yourself to anything yet, unless of course you happen to find something better. Ya never know.

And as an additional note, don't be picky. If i lost my job today i'd be working again tomorrow. I might be flipping burgers but i'd be looking for something better while having at least some income.

I hope this helps and i'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. It will be interesting to read more on this topic.

#156543 - 11/28/08 06:33 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: Stoney]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Just lost my job. We sold the mobile pet grooming business that we have been operating for five years. My preps included making sure that I had current copies pf professional licenses, activating the
old girl network, and getting a resume up on some websites. I am planning some down time before I start the new gig. I have also had to adjust my aspirations a bit. The job that I love-emergency nursing-carries with it the expectation that the employee can work 12-16 hour shifts, lift 300 pound patients, and restrain fragrant yet abusive drunks. My aging body can no longer do this. Like an old fighter, I still have the moves, but no longer have the wind. That means that I need to redefine myself in terms of what I can do, rather than what I want to do. I know too well that it is perfectly possible to love things that are bad for you, but losing them still hurts. The good part is that health care continues to offer lots of jobs. That is a thought I would share with folks looking for work. Nursing is a good 'second career'; education is available at local community colleges and online through Empire College. The work is plentiful and fulfilling. Pace University in Westchester County, NY, ran a weekend/evening program that tended to fill up with retiring NYC police and firemen. Upon graduation, these folks hit hospitals which were used to new grads who were 20 years old, sorta shy and diffident. These folks were neither shy nor diffident, and had quite a remarkable and positive effect on the profession of nursing in the lower hudson valley.

#156554 - 11/28/08 07:45 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: nursemike]
Stoney Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Michigan
That's another good point. Skill up! In survival we learn how to start fire by different methods, how to make shelter from various natural materials and different ways of making water safe to drink. The same principals can apply to many facets of every day life. I know someone who's been out of work for a long time now and has gone back to living at home with her parents. Its very unfortunate but when you graduate college and the job skills you gained consist of speaking Russian, German and Italian you severely limit your employment opportunities. You at least need to have some backup skills.

Its never too late to gain them either.

#156555 - 11/28/08 07:57 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: Stoney]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm also getting jobless soon. Mine fire department can't afford me because they didn't sign a agreement with the minister.

Not entirely a bad thing. I was planning on working less, because the combination of working life and studying for a master degree is really hard. I have build a financial buffer, i can use to finish mine study. At the same time I'm looking for a part-time job to supplement mine buffer. Getting jobless i also a good time to reflect on your working life and plan for the future again.

I'm thinking of joining the national reserve (army reserve), which at least isn't as boring as most desk jobs and i hope too hone some leadership skills. I'm also planning to get involved in virtual training for emergency services. If both doesn't work out, i will probably just get anything i can. The unemployment rate is actually really low in mine country, so if i really want i job i can get one.

#156576 - 11/29/08 03:37 AM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: GarlyDog]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Having been laid off a few times, I don't think can ever really prepare for it, any more than you can prepare for a sucking chest wound.

That being said, there is a reason why I'm not complaining about being underemployeed. I'm working for a company that does property management software, and I specialize in the affordable side of things. My only concern is that as an engineer my skills have a shelf life, but for right now, I'm in no danger. They tried outsourcing to India- my customers are often (and I'm quite serious here) illiterate and speaking English as a second or third langauge, so the added language barriers kinda blew up.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#156586 - 11/29/08 05:40 AM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: ]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
I got laid off last November. However, the company has been laying off for the past 7 years (from 95k people to 33k people), so it wasn't a surprise. I paid off the truck and a couple of credit cards before the axe fell, and built up a bit larger bank account.

After the axe, I took the company supplied career counselling very seriously, and have used that to get a series of contract jobs.

General ideas:
1. In a stressed environment, don't take being laid off personally. It probably wasn't your fault.
1. Figure out your health insurance, see if you can do without Cobra.
2. If you have credit cards, see if you are signed up for the credit protection insurance that pays your minimum while you are out of work.
3. If you have a mortgage, you might have this option also.

Career planning hints from career counseling:
1. Anytime a job is advertised, the HR people will be flooded with resumes. You have 2 seconds to capture their attention. All summaries, keyword lists, etc. need to be in the first half of the first page.
2. Most jobs are filled by networking rather than by cold contacts. LinkedIn.com helps you hook up with people, and find contacts inside of companies you want to hit. Example: http://www.linkedin.com/in/jbeadles
3. Your community probably has local volunteer career counselling groups. Use them!

Edited by beadles (11/29/08 05:51 AM)

#156594 - 11/29/08 12:02 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: beadles]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
I have been preparing for job loss for a long time now. Here are some things that I have done that have really paid off for me. Not only do they prepare you for job loss, but for advancement as well!
1-Put a little money away every week with the goal of having 6 months in reserve.
2-Take on varied responsibility with your current employer. Do as many different jobs as possible so that you have a cross functional background.
3-Keep your resume current at all times.
4-Take a college class every once in a while for self development, your employer may pay for it.
5-Pay close attention to the industry that you are in and the current trends. Project out what will happen in the next 6-12 months.
6-Network, network, network! Maintain relationships with friends that have moved on to other companies.
7-Don't burn any bridges no matter how badly you may want to!
8-Stay one step ahead of your company and look for a new job before things get too bad.
9-Be open to relocation for the right opportunity.
10-Stay upbeat and positive no matter how bad things get. Keep that "survival mind set"

#156616 - 11/29/08 04:20 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: learnmore]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Well said!

#156620 - 11/29/08 04:52 PM Re: Are you prepared if you lose your job? [Re: dougwalkabout]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Having been layed off myself, I have learned from past experience. I have made sure that I have several "on tap" job back ups - I have and maintain a CDL. I can weld or do finish / cabinet woodwork.

I also have been getting my nursing degree as nurse mike was saying (been a cop and firefighter) and everything he said is true. Excelent advise Mike!

Having been in school, we are living off one income (it is tight) but we are doing it. We are going to maintain this current debt ratio, and hopefull we will not be concurrently out of work.

We also try to stay 3-4 months ahead on the morgage. It is a nice buffer to have "just in case!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.