Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#158210 - 12/13/08 05:52 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Desperado]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"... The REI are vastly superior to all others I have tested..."

yup...

I switched to REI's due to this board and the inability to light the BCB types worth a flip. BCB's now go inside questionable tinder bundles to help the butane lighter along. What was I doing wrong????

Not sure. How do you strike the match? I have some Pro-Force NATO matches which are very similar to the BCB matches if not just renamed/rebranded. My technique is to drive the match head into and across a friction surface, in my case a piece of wet/dry fine sandpaper. This is the opposite of using paper matches where I press the head onto the friction surface and drag. I'm not even sure if my technique is the overall best way of doing it but I haven't had a missed ignition yet with the NATO matches.

My strike anywhere matches (Canadian Redbird) are another story. Because I believed that a coating of wax waterproofed the matches, they no long strike "anywhere" but a hard friction surface and sometimes I have to rub the wax off first to get a light! When I made them up, I should have put a thinner coat of wax on them. smile

The Coughlans' matches are anaemic by any measure with it's small head and very thin sticks and they will work but they are just not as good as other matches, even kitchen matches. BTW, I was taught that a "real woodsman" can split a paper match and get a fire lit with just a portion! Yes, it is possible (I've done it) but I would rather work with as big a match as I can. wink

#158212 - 12/13/08 06:32 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Roarmeister]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

Not sure. How do you strike the match? I have some Pro-Force NATO matches which are very similar to the BCB matches if not just renamed/rebranded.

The guy at Pro Force used to be the BCB importer and has replicated and/or rebranded much of the product line.

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister

My technique is to drive the match head into and across a friction surface, in my case a piece of wet/dry fine sandpaper. This is the opposite of using paper matches where I press the head onto the friction surface and drag. I'm not even sure if my technique is the overall best way of doing it but I haven't had a missed ignition yet with the NATO matches.

While the technique to push instead of pull is correct for the NATO matches, I am curious as to how the sandpaper works? These matches are safety matches and normally do NOT ignite from friction. They are designed to ignite only from the chemical reaction between the material in the match head and the red phosphorus in the special striking strip.

Here's some information on safety matches and how they work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Match

Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#158213 - 12/13/08 06:34 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Roarmeister]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I am beginning to think the NATO/BCB's were moisture contaminated. When struck they mostly just came apart. However, my one handed SparkLight was able to light one off. Good thing to know if I am short on good tinder. Putting a few of the sub-par matches in with the "OK" tinder bundle helped "get things going".
O yeah, they were OLD issue items from long ago that wound up making it home and were lost/found cleaning the garage.

Edited by Desperado (12/13/08 06:41 PM)
Edit Reason: Minor details

RIP OBG

#158222 - 12/13/08 09:12 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Doug_Ritter]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
It´s good to hear that Pro Force matches belong to the high-end segment. I have got them too. I submerged a burning Pro Force match in the water and once pulled back on air it started burning again. So it worked as advetised.

Desperado: I have read that someone stored matches in that cylindric effervescent vitamin tablets case because the cap contains some stuff that sucks the moisture and keeps the items inside dry.

#158223 - 12/13/08 09:41 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: raptor]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

Do those REI matches degrade over time? I was thinking of buying alot, but if I don't use them for a few years only to find they "got old"...

#158224 - 12/13/08 09:43 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Do those REI matches degrade over time? I was thinking of buying alot, but if I don't use them for a few years only to find they "got old"...

Haven't had them that long. I know BCB/NATO were from 1994 at least.

RIP OBG

#158226 - 12/13/08 10:06 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Desperado]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

I have some BCB from 1994 as well, and I just lit three of them. They all took a few strikes to ignite, although every strike produced a flash. They took a little while to actually burst into flame once lit, and when submerged half-way through their burn, the flame went out but they kept burning at the same pace but only with a small vigorous blue ring at the chemical. They all burned down to the end or very near the end of the chemical, but they all went completely out when there was no chemical, even the one I didn't dunk in water.

I just lit two more:
1. dunked and then lit, the reduced blue burn, but eventually came to flame, back to reduced blue burn when wet to end of chemical.
2. lgnition on first strike (I pushed harder that time), flame all through to end of chemical, not dunked.

So, they still work, but if they get wet before striking, dry them off, and don't let them get wet while burning, as it might be harder to light tinder with only a small blue burning ring. The wood is only a handle. I don't recall if the wood burned when I purchased them in 1994. I also can't recall from back then if the flame was noticably reduced after being dunked, but I don't recall that they weren't either, and because I think I would have remembered that, they probably didn't. I do recall being very impressed with them when I first got them, now not so much. They are probably losing efficacy.

Edited by Troglodyte007 (12/13/08 10:12 PM)

#158235 - 12/13/08 11:24 PM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: Roarmeister]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"..."real woodsman" can split a paper match and get a fire lit with just a portion! Yes, it is possible..."

check this out!

"...prisoners during the war, and many men were able to split a match into six portions, and strike each one of them with certainty..."

#158449 - 12/15/08 04:13 AM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Troglodyte007
Do those REI matches degrade over time?

All matches break down over time, that is half of why I shellac my strike anywheres. These are already coated, but if you want to be really sure, find a very long match case, and put an O2 and dessicant package in with them (easier than a sliver of dry ice), and grease the cap with something like a lithium grease. Then vacuum seal the whole thing.

Problem is that the striker itself has a half life, and as I recall that is based on just the decay of the compounds. It would break down in deep space, stored in the thin stuff.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#158459 - 12/15/08 05:11 AM Re: REI Storm-Proof Matches in a matchsafe... [Re: ironraven]
Jakam
Unregistered

I just leave the REI matches in their original packaging, in a ziploc snack bag. Easier for me to identify things in their original package if it is servicable.

I do the same with my GSI teakettle, in the cardboard box, in my pack, I always figured I could use the cardboard in a pinch and it obviously fits well inside it's original box.

Too low tech?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.