Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#156593 - 11/29/08 11:32 AM Outfitting my son
marduk Offline

Loc: Mid-Missouri
My DS (age 16) will be attending the Inauguration and the Inaugural Ball in Jan. He has above average situational awareness and skills for his age. I am planning on sending the following with him. I expect security to be high (just short of body cavity search) during portions of his trip, will involve air travel and thus I wish to avoid/minimize metal or “suspicious” items to the extent possible. Please offer comments, suggestions, “local intel”, etc.

Neck Lanyard:
FOX 40 whistle
plastic “dog tag”
AAA LED flashlight

EDC/PSK:
Meds: Motrin, Benadryl, Immodium
Band aids
“small absorbent dressing” wink
Betadine unit dose
Benzalkonium Chloride Wipes
Neosporin unit dose
Nitrile gloves
Heat Sheet
Spark-Lite
Tinder-Quik
Button compass
Credit card with: electrical tape, dental floss, 80# fishing line
Duct tape flat pack
Doug Ritter Survival Instructions

This will be in a DIPLOMAT POCKET ORGANIZER http://countycomm.com/POCKETORGANIZER.htm

Bug-In supplies(will stay in hotel):
MRE entrée x2
Foil bagged tuna
Cliff Bars
1L Platypus
MicroPUR tablets
Crystal Light unit dose
Gatorade unit dose
P-51
Spork
Salt, Pepper, Tabasco

“Sometimes the line between being prepared and being paranoid is thin.”

#156604 - 11/29/08 02:15 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: marduk]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You might also consider a map of the area he'll be in, and a cell phone (though the lines may be overwhelmed with the millions of folks there).

He should also have a detailed plan for exactly what to do if he gets separated from those that he arrived there with - how to reconnect with them.

Is he bringing something to protect him if its raining? That might also act as a shelter if he'll need to be outside for an evening.

#156607 - 11/29/08 02:37 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: KenK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Prepaid phone card, credit card, hideout cash, list of important phone numbers...

#156614 - 11/29/08 04:08 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
An umbrella and a warm coat, hat, gloves etc - DC in January can be cold, wet, snowy, all of the above.

It would be good if you know someone in DC your son could call or call on in case of emergency, or just to connect. Growing up I knew the ex-wife of one of my dad's friends who went into witness protection (long story), she was a well connected DC political society maven who ended up being the highlight of my DC experiences, a real hoot. You don't need to know them well, if they're located in DC proper its a plus because your son will be able to reach them on foot or by subway/taxi.

For maps, the laminated folded walking map of DC is good as it actually covers everywhere he's likely to go, you can get them when you step off the plane in most bookstores and newsstands for $7.95, and they don't wilt in DC rain or snow. AAA will send you free road maps of Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania if you're a member.

I would tell my 16 year old to stick to his group, especially at night, and don't try anything too adventurous, like wandering the darkened streets southwest of the White House after midnight. Its been a few years but Georgetown is still good for teenagers, if they have time to hangout. Load his cell phone with the number for 2-3 DC cab companies (either lookup on DC travel sites ahead of time or note them at the taxi stand at the airport) - when in doubt of your surroundings in DC, call a taxi, get out safely. Stick to public places, for the inauguration there will be lots of them, he'll do fine.

#156618 - 11/29/08 04:36 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Lono]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Get rid of the fire making and sharp objects. TSA and USSS / Capitol Police aren't going to like them.

Remind him texting often works when voice calls don't. (at 16 I am sure he knows)
Make SURE the cell carrier works where he is going.

Stay with the group. Help watch-out for less street wise members of the group.

Pocket hand/foot warmers (disposable air activated) DC area can be COLD when standing around.

COMMON SENSE, (maybe 6th sense). If it looks, walks, and quacks like a duck then it probably is a duck. Some ducks are friendly and some are mean, but they all want something from you.

Alternate plans to get home:

Recently a friends daughter had her group split by the airline. At the new airport, it became a two day SNAFU because the "group leader" then split that sub-group to try and get kids home on time for school. If it all goes bad, have the resources to go get your son available. I had to pay for these folks ticket to get her home. Did so gladly, but what if I hadn't been available.

Oh yeah, avoid Chicago O'Hare (ORD) airport at all costs. It just sucks.

RIP OBG

#156664 - 11/30/08 03:43 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Desperado]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I'd pick up a bic lighter onsite, a more conventional fire starter than the sparklite. Gloves or mittens a must, extreme cold weather clothing for long lines also important.

Just based on the weather and also potential threats like riots, a painters/surgical type face mask for snow, cold, debris could be a good idea or at a minimum a balaclava, Buffwear or bandanna.

Everything else mentioned above, great ideas, especially the map.

#156671 - 11/30/08 04:49 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Desperado]
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
Where is he going to travel to?

#156672 - 11/30/08 04:55 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: SARbound]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Washington DC.

RIP OBG

#156685 - 11/30/08 02:42 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Desperado]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I live in Washington (Capitol Hill) and will be here for the Inaugural. Does he have an Inaugural ticket for the Capitol grounds which will require going through a metal detector and x-ray? Or will he be watching from further down the Mall? (where for the first time ever there may also be security screening)

Where is your son staying? In the city at a nice hotel within walking distance of the Capitol Building? Or in a suburb from which he'll have to take Metro into the city? (Independence and Constitution Avenues, among others, will be closed all day Inaugural Day so anyone thinking they'll be driving anywhere near the Inaugural is deluded.)

This city will be crawling with law enforcement and military -- 4000 additional police officers are being brought in from other jurisdictions to help with the Inaugural. Active duty military personnel are always a big part of putting on the Inaugural so there will be far more soldiers in the city than usual. Because of predictions of unprecedented crowds of 4 or 5 million visitors (I pray these are ludicrous inflated estimates) the security presence will be also be unprecedented.

My neighbors and I marvel at the predictions because we are well acquainted with the July 4 crowds in which a few hundred thousand people on the Mall overwhelms the Metro system and paralyzes traffic.

Where everyday crimes like mugging are concerned, I never feel safer in DC than during the Inaugural. The two most likely threats to your son are: 1) EXTREME COLD + WET WEATHER; 2) crowds.

In normal Inaugurations it is necessary to arrive a few hours early to get through security and to your ticketed place (most of the Capitol tickets are for standing-room only -- each Senator is given only 20 seated tickets to distribute).

Umbrellas are not allowed on the Capitol grounds during the Inaugural. And NO BACKPACKS -- he'd better carry whatever he needs, in his pockets.

So I'd forget the fishing line and fire-making instruments and concentrate on extremely WARM and WATERPROOF attire suitable for standing outside for several hours in the MUD in 20-degree, wet weather.

If very lucky, it will be sunny and 50 degrees. More likely it will be 20s-30s, blustery and wet.

WARM COAT, hat, ear muffs, scarf, insulated boots, ski socks, long underwear, gloves + mittens, EMERGENCY CLEAR RAIN PONCHO that can be stuffed in a pocket (look at the 2001 Inaugural platform photos where Congress and other dignitaries were each provided a cheap clear plastic poncho and they wore them!) I'd also take some chemical hand warmers but security might take those. Still worth trying.

http://www.amazon.com/EMERGENCY-PONCHOs-...9592&sr=8-1

(will continue this in subsequent post)

Edited by Dagny (11/30/08 03:34 PM)

#156687 - 11/30/08 03:07 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

COLD and CROWDS are absolute certainties. EXTREME COLD and EXTREME CROWDS are very possible.

Everything that can be done to guard against horrors that terrorists might conceive will be done and is being done (Inaugural planning, including security, never really stops and organizing for it begins two years in advance). The worst scenarios for DC no individual can survive, no matter the survival kit they may carry. I won't fare well in that regard, in my home, a few blocks from the Capitol. So I must have faith that won't happen or I couldn't live here day to day and certainly wouldn't stay here on Inaugural Day.

The most important "gear" your son can carry will be on his feet. If his shoes/boots are WARM, WATERPROOF and COMFORTABLE then he'll be in fine shape to stand around in the cold mud for hours and also to walk out of the city if need be.

Two incidents in DC history have made me a firm believer in having the capacity to evacuate on foot or by bike: 9/11 and the Air Florida plane crash + Metro fatal crash + snowstorm of January 13, 1982 that paralyzed the city.

http://www.roadstothefuture.com/AirFlorida_SubwayDis.html

If you can walk and stay warm then you are going to be in good shape for whatever Mother Nature or humanity are likely to throw at you during Inaugural week.

If it would make you feel better, PM me and I can be an emergency contact for your son while he is in Washington.

[u][/u]

Edited by Dagny (11/30/08 03:15 PM)

#156689 - 11/30/08 03:25 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

For keeping in his hotel room, the items you list are fine. You might want to Fed Ex that kit directly to the hotel so your son doesn't have to fly with them.

I'd suggest three additional items: cash, maps and Cliff MoJo bars.

On Inaugural day, he should plan for a long gap between between breakfast and lunch. The restaurants that are around the Capitol and downtown are going to be overwhelemed.

Edited by Dagny (11/30/08 03:26 PM)

#156693 - 11/30/08 06:33 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: marduk]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have been trying to remember how/what I equipped my nephew with when he went to DC on a school sponsored field trip. What they were allowed to carry was severely restricted due to their ages: 12-14 years of age.

I had him take the following in a PSK:

55 gal trashbag
a blanket/small pillow
a roll of quarters
a signal whistle
a signal mirror
2 MRE's
a pre-paid VISA card ($50.00, I think)
a map of Washington, DC
cell phone w/chargers (ac&dc)
empty water bottle w/water purification tablets inside

In his wallet:

Insurance card
Military I.D.
Name, address, & phone number of his 3rd cousin who lives in Md

That's to the best of my memory.

#156702 - 11/30/08 11:42 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Dagny

On Inaugural day, he should plan for a long gap between between breakfast and lunch. The restaurants that are around the Capitol and downtown are going to be overwhelemed.

Having spent time on DC's mall for various events, +1 on Dagny's posts.

Regarding the restaurants being overwhelmed, so will the "facilities," e.g. the porta-potties. When you actually do get to one, it is unlikely to be stocked with "paper products," so pack and carry a roll of his own. blush

#156752 - 12/01/08 03:28 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: bws48]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Let me +1 Bws48 on the TP. I do usually carry a dozen baby wipes in my travel kit when I am out and about.

I know on race days when EVERYONE is trying to get into a porta-potty and its freezing out, that if there is TP in a stall its usually very low quality. Usually its gone. Some wipes in a ziplock are a huge bonus.

In Mexico for example, there are multi-stall restrooms throughout each town that have locals stationed outside them. They are generally very clean but have no toilet paper. You have to buy it from the locals at the door. Thank God I was prepared the first time I encountered that scenario.

#156783 - 12/01/08 07:24 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
notebook and writing implements
several small plastic feezer bags
a budget and agreement re souvenirs
a warm hat / head covering that he is willing to wear
a roll or tin of mouth / cough mints
couple bottles of water purchased on site
coat or vest that he is willing to wear to hold everything

a great attitude

#156884 - 12/02/08 09:20 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: dweste]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Important information on the Inaugural, including prohibited items (such as umbrellas and thermoses and anything else a guard deems a threat):

http://inaugural.senate.gov/2009/planyourtrip.cfm?utm

Prohibited Items

Prohibited items include, but are not limited to:

* Firearms and ammunition (either real or simulated)
* Explosives of any kind (including fireworks)
* Knives, blades, or sharp objects (of any length)
* Mace and/or pepper spray
* Sticks or poles
* Pockets or hand tools, such as “Leatherman”
* Packages
* Backpacks
* Large bags
* Duffel bags
* Suitcases
* Thermoses
* Coolers
* Strollers
* Umbrellas
* Laser pointers
* Signs
* Posters
* Animals (other than service animals)
* Alcoholic beverages
* Other items that may pose a threat to the security of the event as determined by and at the discretion of the security screeners

#156971 - 12/03/08 04:43 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Markduk,

My son, 12 is also attending the inauguration. Perhaps it is thru the same organization? (CYLC)

He went to DC last year as well and he was woefully prepared considering what is discussed on this forum. He did fine but nothing unexpected happened.

I need to ensure he is prepared for possibilities this time.

#159366 - 12/21/08 04:10 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Dagny]
marduk Offline

Thanks everyone for the response. Sorry to be so slow responding, I've been been doing double overtime at the salt mine (we've been recession-proof so far).

EDC/PSK (modified):
Meds: Motrin, Benadryl, Immodium
Band aids
“small absorbent dressing”
Betadine unit dose
Benzalkonium Chloride Wipes
Neosporin unit dose
Nitrile gloves
Heat Sheet
Spark-Lite - delete
Tinder-Quik - delete
Button compass
Credit card with: electrical tape, dental floss, 80# fishing line
Duct tape flat pack
Doug Ritter Survival Instructions

This will be in a DIPLOMAT POCKET ORGANIZER http://countycomm.com/POCKETORGANIZER.htm

Added:
Maps: one in pocket, one in POCKET ORGANIZER
Pocket pack of Wet Ones
decored partial role of TP
garbage bag
poncho
flat N-95 mask
hand, body, & toe warmers
Bushnell Backtracker

Already carries:
Credit Card for emergencies
hideout cash
calling card
phone number list
cell phone with texting (AT&T)with charger

Clothing:
Underarmour base layer
heavy wool socks
“Hood hat” like this http://frostyfleece.com/Hood_Hat_Fleece_Balaclava.htm
heavy wool greatcoat (nearly ankle length)
hiking boots
fleece glomitts
waterproof, insulated gloves

He will be traveling in a group by bus, with preferred access to the Inauguration. If separated from the group or diverted en-route contingency plans have been discussed. He is a veteran traveler (we have had several “adventurous” trips, he performs well when tested). He is the "mature one" of his group of friends, looking out for the crew. He shouldn't be out and about separate from the larger group( will still put cab co. numbers in his cell - any to recommend?). We have discussed that texting is likely to get through when voice won't. texting is his preferred means of communication.

Questions:

Do handwarmers or Heat Sheets trigger magnetometers?

Any suggestions for b/u cell phone (currently have AT&T), ie other carriers, preferably pay-as-you-go, with good cell coverage in the D.C. Area.

#159369 - 12/21/08 04:31 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
marduk Offline

Yes, he is participating in the Presidential Youth Inaugural Conference (PYIC) which is part of The Congressional Youth Leadership Council (CYLC) . PM me if you wish, maybe the boys can hook up if their groups intersect. DS will be staying in Reston, Va.

#159371 - 12/21/08 04:33 AM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: marduk]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Verizon is a prime carrier in the NE.

Don't know about magnetometers and the items listed.

Tell him the story on the N95 is that he has asthma and it helps in cold air.

RIP OBG

#159379 - 12/21/08 01:05 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: Desperado]
Homer_Simpson Offline

I agree with the idea of sending the items to the hotel via Fed-EX you can send them out a few days ahead and they will be there when he arrives, keep in mind it might be wise to call the hotel ahead of time and let them know the package is going to be delivered, should have no problem with them rejecting it at that point. If I'm going on an extended trip I'll send out a copy of my BOB ahead of my trip so that I have everything I need.

As posted above make sure he understands what he can and can have around these events. Depending on any "Situations" that come up his first movement should be back to his hotel and supplies then make a plan from there, again depending on the situation.

#159382 - 12/21/08 02:58 PM Re: Outfitting my son [Re: marduk]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
It being runny nose season 'bout then, maybe a couple of pocket packs of "kleenex"...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.