Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156789 - 12/01/08 08:24 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: dweste]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
All of the farmers around here have what they call a yard light. Not a yard light like you put on your garage, but comparable to a streetlight. Only taller and brighter. It's not bright enough that you could read, but you couldn't walk across the yard and not be seen, man or animal. I guess a lot of them don't even have switches on then, just a light sensor so they come on automagically. A real security conscious person would still need to illuminate the various dark nooks and crannies though.
I'm guessing you probably have more trees where you are.

#156805 - 12/02/08 01:14 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
My speedo is correct I have used a GPS (or two heh) to verify smile

Eugene- Good point, I do normally have something back there that may elevate the front a bit, shouldn't be that much but it may be... I`m just glad my normal lights are fine and brights not really needed.

Fog lights help a bunch, and they work great with normal brightness on my truck.

dweste- Thanks! I hope we can be 100% moved in by the new year smile Maybe a spring potluck smile smile

Nishnabotna- I have a couple of those, I forget their name but that's what I plan to install. They are like street lamps (large), bright, and I got the CFL version to use less energy. I`ll have to post some pics when I get them installed.

I did update my blog though with new pictures of the house... all before pictures right now, the after/work ones coming soon. Lots has changed.

#156841 - 12/02/08 11:44 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
All of the farmers around here have what they call a yard light. Not a yard light like you put on your garage, but comparable to a streetlight. Only taller and brighter. It's not bright enough that you could read, but you couldn't walk across the yard and not be seen, man or animal. I guess a lot of them don't even have switches on then, just a light sensor so they come on automagically. A real security conscious person would still need to illuminate the various dark nooks and crannies though.

Those are called NEMA "Barn lights" - if you do put one up, please, please put on a "full cutoff" shade on them. It prevents light from angles above 180 degs from exiting the fixture - aka you don't light above the fixture - this is good for 2 reasons - you actually get more light on the ground where you need it, and it doesn't mess up the night sky for miles around

BTW, if you can SEE the lit fixture, you are getting "glare" (it's the definition of glare). The problem at that point is that your pupil constricts, and it actually makes the dimmer parts of your yard darker! If you properly put in "full cut off" lighting, you will not have glare, and you will see better, even though the are might seem dimmer, because you can't see the bulb.

If you decide to put in a "Barn light" look at putting a Hubbel Sky Cap or GE Skyguard shield (if you get a hubble or GE fixture), or a RAB "Sky shade", which is generic

The RAB Shy Shade fits Screw On “Barn Lights” from: RAB, Lumark, American, Heath-Zenith, Regent/NCI, Electripak, Designer’s Edge. Additionally, it fits Clip-On “Barn Lights” from Hubbell and GE.

There is a lot of info at darksky.org (although in some ways they are a bit crazy)

http://starrynightlights.com/blog/2007/06/

Edited by kc2ixe (12/02/08 11:51 AM)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#156845 - 12/02/08 12:07 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: KG2V]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe
Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna

Those are called NEMA "Barn lights" - if you do put one up, please, please put on a "full cutoff" shade on them. It prevents light from angles above 180 degs from exiting the fixture - aka you don't light above the fixture - this is good for 2 reasons - you actually get more light on the ground where you need it, and it doesn't mess up the night sky for miles around

BTW, if you can SEE the lit fixture, you are getting "glare" (it's the definition of glare). The problem at that point is that your pupil constricts, and it actually makes the dimmer parts of your yard darker! If you properly put in "full cut off" lighting, you will not have glare, and you will see better, even though the are might seem dimmer, because you can't see the bulb.

If you decide to put in a "Barn light" look at putting a Hubbel Sky Cap or GE Skyguard shield (if you get a hubble or GE fixture), or a RAB "Sky shade", which is generic

The RAB Shy Shade fits Screw On “Barn Lights” from: RAB, Lumark, American, Heath-Zenith, Regent/NCI, Electripak, Designer’s Edge. Additionally, it fits Clip-On “Barn Lights” from Hubbell and GE.

There is a lot of info at darksky.org (although in some ways they are a bit crazy)

http://starrynightlights.com/blog/2007/06/

Preaching to the choir wink

#156852 - 12/02/08 01:33 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
now, picture I'm into dark skys, have fco lamps and I live in NYC
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.