Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156588 - 11/29/08 06:36 AM A couple things I've learned
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
So, as many know we purchased a house and are making the transition to fixing it up and moving in. Well, during this transition we've had power on/off at the house and have not had time (priorities) to install outside flood lights. So, a couple observations from someone moving to the middle of no where.

Being able to see is VERY important... so with that said light is everything. When it gets dark, even with a moon it is DARK. The trees cover EVERYTHING. You will not be able to see from your car to your house.

With no light you can't get anything done, it makes it 100x harder to load your vehicle, it makes it harder to even change your shoes outside.

That's for around your house... it can be fixed, add some flood lights (I have many to install), motion sensors, and key fob activated lights... all are being installed to fix this problem.

However, I also learned that light while driving to and from (not in the city) the lights your vehicle shine on the road are important. To low of a beam and your eyes tire and you look down to much. I`ve upgraded lights in one vehicle already to remedy this solution, and fog lights in my other have solved that too.

Flashlights are VERY important. If something goes wrong or you need to look at something outside or make an emergency stop you can not see w/out a light. Also, a 200 lumen flash light does little for reading a manual or looking under your hood... it blinds you, even aimed at your target.

My opinion on lights that go IN a vehicle that routinely sees 1+hr of rural driving. Head lamp, multi-LED. Long lasting, if one burns out you can still see and use it. Lithium batteries to pro-long life and IMHO are built to higher standards. Hand-Held light, again LED, and multi-LEDs incase something goes wrong.

What we use... Zipka Tika Plus (4 LED) w/retractable head strap. Stays in glove box. Easy to use, super bright, and lasts a LONG LONG time on one set of batteries.

My next light WAS the Streamlight Ultra Stinger because it's powerful (INSANE) and rechargeable... but like I said it's WAY to bright to be useful for anything but searching for a prisoner or blinding on coming traffic to stop them (by causing an accident). Not to mention this light dies in ~1hr of usage, not to good for walking through the woods or on a road finding your way along.

I've replaced the Streamlight with an Inova X5. Multi-Led, lasts a VERY long time, well made, and relatively cheap.

What's funny is I've always been a flashlight guy. I have a bunch of streamlights, surefires, and inova's, fenix's, etc... BUT I mainly used them camping or to take the dog out at night.

I never used them over and over, day after day... this is how I learned what kind/type/brightness light I needed. I needed a soft-glow that spread to illuminate my work area, and also something reliable and that would burn a long long time.

Selecting the proper light for the job is VERY important.

I also have an Inova X0 (I believe that's it) it's an LED but is more of a spot-light than the X5 flood, another good choice or 3rd light to add to your car.

I hope what I've learned can help someone.

-Todd

#156600 - 11/29/08 01:18 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Todd W]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
If you're having a problem with your headlights, make sure they are aimed correctly. If you're in the country, feel free to use your brights often, as long as traffic isn't a problem.
Of course, some cars just have crappy headlights. I previously drove a chevy cavalier and had dark thoughts about how much illumination I got even with fancy aftermarket bulbs. Switched to a full size pickup and am very happy now even with OEM bulbs. Haven't figured out if it was the design, shape, size or height difference that is making the grade.

#156610 - 11/29/08 03:23 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Nishnabotna
If you're having a problem with your headlights, make sure they are aimed correctly. If you're in the country, feel free to use your brights often, as long as traffic isn't a problem.
Of course, some cars just have crappy headlights. I previously drove a chevy cavalier and had dark thoughts about how much illumination I got even with fancy aftermarket bulbs. Switched to a full size pickup and am very happy now even with OEM bulbs. Haven't figured out if it was the design, shape, size or height difference that is making the grade.

My truck is actually slightly lifted and so the OEM lights are not powerful enough to shine far enough where I see the ground. With my OEM fog lights on I can see great, the brights don't help to much, not sure why. On our other vehicle (jeep) we replaced the entire assembly and it is SO MUCH nicer smile I also adjusted the aim when I installed them, and it's night and day difference it's amazing.

#156613 - 11/29/08 03:49 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Todd W]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
I've had good luck with a Streamlight Stylus: it fits in the pen slot of my shirt pocket, sits over my ear like a pencil, and points where I look, when I'm trying to write, without blinding me.

#156624 - 11/29/08 05:27 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Todd W]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Originally Posted By: ToddW

My truck is actually slightly lifted and so the OEM lights are not powerful enough to shine far enough where I see the ground. With my OEM fog lights on I can see great, the brights don't help to much, not sure why. On our other vehicle (jeep) we replaced the entire assembly and it is SO MUCH nicer smile I also adjusted the aim when I installed them, and it's night and day difference it's amazing.

Had you adjusted the aim on your truck after you lifted it? That would cause the lights to shine too high up. Wasn't quite sure if you had done that from reading your post.
I thought I'd mention that because a lot of people do not think about stuff like that, though I'd assume the people on this board would.

#156717 - 12/01/08 02:56 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

I haven't touched them. It's not lifted, but 'leveled', came from factory that way. I'd hope they would have adjusted for it like they did for the larger tires. (compensate for the correct speedo gear/setup).

Normal beam is great, brights not so much.

#156731 - 12/01/08 05:14 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Todd W]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I haven't touched them. It's not lifted, but 'leveled', came from factory that way. I'd hope they would have adjusted for it like they did for the larger tires. (compensate for the correct speedo gear/setup).

Normal beam is great, brights not so much.

Check the speedo, you may be surprised to find it has not been compensated for. I run around 3 MPH slower than the speedo reads compared to true calibrated RADAR and LIDAR (laser). And yes, the truck is bone stock in that department.

Watch the "Fog Lights" in a previous life they were called"auxiliary lights, for off road use only". It was not an inexpensive issue either.

RIP OBG

#156734 - 12/01/08 11:24 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Desperado]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

The speedo is never right by the time it gets up to interstate speeds, even with OEM everything. Take your GPS sometime and match it against the speedo.

#156735 - 12/01/08 11:29 AM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Nishnabotna]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've noticed my truck appears to be leveled as well, the front end looks to be the same as the back. Problem is I always seem to be carrying somehting so the back end sits lower. There is a ~1.5" block between the rear axle and springs from the factory, I'm going to see if I can find a 2.5" to put the back up a little and make it have the factory slant forward so I've not adjusted my lights yet.
I upsized my tires and compared to my gps and its right on.

#156788 - 12/01/08 07:41 PM Re: A couple things I've learned [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So, as many know we purchased a house and are making the transition to fixing it up and moving in. Well, during this transition we've had power on/off at the house and have not had time (priorities) to install outside flood lights. So, a couple observations from someone moving to the middle of no where.

Being able to see is VERY important... so with that said light is everything. When it gets dark, even with a moon it is DARK. The trees cover EVERYTHING. You will not be able to see from your car to your house.

-Todd

Nice, practical post. It is always good to hear field notes. I look forward to bringing something to the housewarming potluck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.