Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#156412 - 11/26/08 03:33 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
While planning a route from the Slabs near Niland CA to Yuma AZ, my GPS routed me via a road through the Chocolate Mountains. This turned out to be a military "Impact Zone" for artillery and missile target practice.

Fortunately the gate was closed.......

Nomad

#156417 - 11/26/08 03:51 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: dougwalkabout]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
The norwegians were quite lucky. Non annonced visitors aren´t welcome in drug controlled areas.

It is almost impossible to visualy diferentiate a "safe" poor neighborhood from a violent one in the outskirts of Rio.

In this case (and in other big cities in general) a good procedure would be to stay only in the main roads or in known tourist destinations. Don´t trust your map and GPS if it indicates a route througth smaller and smaller streets.

It is important to note that the violence in Rio de Janeiro is very localised. I was born in Rio and have never saw a shootout...

Fabio

#156423 - 11/26/08 07:16 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: NightHiker]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Not to sound patronizing but I would assume going to any "poor" neighborhood in a place like Rio is a lousy idea for a bunch of green foreigners. Poor people are not necessarily bad. I've traveled a bit in third-world countries and it is not a "bad" or dangerous experience if you understand what you are doing. But one of the things I've learned is that urban slums should always be avoided if possible.

Traveling in the countryside is often different because the folks that live there, as poor as they might be, tend to bo friendlier, sometimes surprisingly hospitable and in many parts of the world they will actively protect any foreigners as long as they're not "dumb Americans" flashing their money and driving huge SUVs. There is always a chance of running into bad guys but as long as you're not ignorantly passing through a war zone or getting mixed up in a guerilla uprising you should be reasonably safe.

In big cities and slums though moral principles are often nonexistent, pretty much everything goes. You could literally get killed on the spot for a few dollars or just a pair of sneakers. But any reasonably experienced traveller should be able to identify such danger zones easily enough if only you pay attention to what is going on around you. One fairly reliable sign is the sudden lack of police presence. In many places bordering on dangerous slums you will see lots of heavily armed police protecting the safe areas, usually where decent (or at least rich) people live. A few blocks further down the road and you might end up in a hellhole where not even a police patrol would dare to enter.

Of course, if you happen to be too busy to maintain some basic situational awareness and prefer to take directions from the GPS you might as well find yourself in a really bad spot.

#156440 - 11/26/08 09:22 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: dougwalkabout]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
know before you go.

if you think it looks bad, it is.

#156443 - 11/26/08 10:41 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: Fabio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Thanks, Fabio.

What's the best way to learn about the danger spots?

Ask the hotel? Ask the local police? Hire a taxi?

I would appreciate your thoughts.

#156625 - 11/29/08 05:44 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...Slauson and Crenshaw..."

Oh no! Glad you made it out in one piece...

OBG,

Wasn't that bad. It was 9am on a Monday. Everyone was sleeping. However, I really liked the gas station attendant down the road. " Your lost right? Get $5.00 gas (was 1998) and get the hell out of here. LAX is that way!"

Of course he was peering out of a window with bars larger than any jail cell I had ever seen before. I did notice the few folks around were watching me closely. Nothing like a Ford Taurus station wagon full of luggage with a Budget Rental Car bumper sticker to attract attention.

Could have been worse.

Edited by Desperado (11/29/08 05:51 PM)

RIP OBG

#156639 - 11/29/08 09:14 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Nothing like a Ford Taurus station wagon full of luggage..."

Makes me think of National Lampoon's Vacation!!!

I used to work graveyard in that area, I thought it was fun back then...

#156641 - 11/29/08 10:51 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I was solo. Headed from one town to the next for work. The GPS linked to laptop that resulted was nice to have though.

RIP OBG

#156695 - 11/30/08 06:59 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: ]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
+1 on only going to Rio de Janeiro when you have local knowledge. Even then, it's probably not very safe either. I look American, and I was always keeping an eye on everyone. That, and the fact I always traveled in a medium sized group with people that looked local, probably helped me avoid issues.

Edited by ki4buc (11/30/08 06:59 PM)

#156958 - 12/03/08 01:57 PM Re: GPS - no substitute for local knowledge [Re: dougwalkabout]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil
Hello Doug,

If you want information about Rio, I’m going to be there next week. I can get some intel for you.

Fabio

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 465 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.