Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#156263 - 11/24/08 10:06 PM Pics of my BOC and BOB
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

This is my Bug Out Cart. It's a Cabela's Super Mag Hauler. Top left is my tent. The ginormous brown thing next to it is my Slumberjack sleeping bag rated at -30F. Underneath that is a tub full of ammo, food, and assorted odds and ends. And at the very bottom is my sea bag holding clothes.

Side view.

This is my large ALICE pack. All my critical gear goes inside here, so that if for some reason I have to abandone the cart I won't be totally screwed. I'll take picks of the contents later.

Back view. I took this one so you can see that I've attached a canteen on either side. I stuck a solar flashlight in one of the loops so that it can be exposed to sunlight while I'm on the move.

#156264 - 11/24/08 10:20 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
What's your total weight, pack included???

#156268 - 11/24/08 10:42 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Uh, I am going to assume you plan on long term trips huh?

I have previously moved one of those ALICE large packs unwillingly, so I hope you are familiar with that thing and its weight. Either that or I could see getting an ATV like a MULE to cary that with.

RIP OBG

#156271 - 11/24/08 11:13 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
*whispers* It's sexy.....

My big concern about how it is packed is that the sleep system is exposed to the elements- I'd find a great big dry bag for it. Don't store in it, but stuff it in when needed, so it is protected and more compact. That, and no ground pad.

My other thought is the use of the ALICE- not a bad pack, but we can do better. Or were you planning on attaching the cart to it like a pulk harness?

Now that I've seen what it looks like, if I ever get the space to store such a thing, I will be building something simiiar.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#156274 - 11/24/08 11:26 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: Desperado]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"... previously moved one of those ALICE large packs unwillingly..."

Yup. I hate those things! Most uncomfortable pack I have ever lugged around...

#156276 - 11/24/08 11:45 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Man, you just don't know what pain is until your ALICE Large weighs almost as much as you, plus an M24 and a CAR-15 (now known as M4) is dangling with you under a Huey/Blackhawk. Nothing like having to hump two weapon systems with dissimilar ammo + el pistola.

The eagle on the 101 patch wasn't screaming, he was groaning from the pain of all that was carried.

Too much weight and all the sudden you are inverted and that is where the story of dislocated shoulders began for me.

OBG PM on the way re RV Surge Suppressor.

RIP OBG

#156277 - 11/24/08 11:55 PM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: Desperado]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I don't know what the total weight is. I never weighed it. The pack is fairly heavy, and you'll know why when I post pics of what's inside it. The cart feels virtually weightless when I pull it. It's built for hauling deer, and what I have packed on it is much lighter than a deer. It looks heavier than it is because it's so bulky.

I'm aware of the issues with ALICE packs. I humped many a mile in bootcamp. But there's one thing about ALICE that no one can deny... she's tough. Throw that sucker off a cliff and when you find it at the bottom I bet it won't have a single tear.

I've always said plan for the worst, and the worst means you're out longer than you expected. I'm not one to count on someone else rescuing my ass because I only brought 3 days worth of supplies and they still can't find me after a month.

#156278 - 11/25/08 12:06 AM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Good for you man. ALICE is tough, but I really would look into a way to modularize what's in ALICE. I've been preaching that to the folks I am helping build BOB's and they now understand. They each took my BOB and went for a two mile stroll on paved streets. Had to go get them in the truck.

You are probably also much more rural than I, as the cart would have LEO's on my tail ASAP here.

Nice thinking on the cart. Looks like a good way to haul wood from cut tree to truck in the hard to reach places.

RIP OBG

#156292 - 11/25/08 01:53 AM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: Desperado]
Jakam
Unregistered

I related on another site about the ingenious carts I saw homeless folks make, to hook to their bicycles or haul around cans/bottles on foot. Made out of old bread trays and bike parts they found, I was always amazed at their perserverance.

I applaud the effort, and the dual wheels look like a good idea. I'm guessing, 50 pounds unloaded?

I know Cabela's uses puncture proof- Are the tires standard and easy to find? Since it's designed to hold 700 pounds, I would think tire wear may be an issue down the line.... At least if the axle is standard diameter you can find after market wheels, I presume.....

You get the game bag with it? It is canvas but could be waterproofed.......

I use a 2 wheel cart to move my kayak and everything needed for a beach trip, the problem with it is the tires and tubes can be difficult to find. But it can carry >150 lbs. if needed......

#156312 - 11/25/08 03:24 AM Re: Pics of my BOC and BOB [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have the same type of cart, but with one set of wheels. I carry a sleeping bag, two person tent, ground pad, sleeping pad, duffle with clothes & personal items and food. I also have a Camelbak BFM with more important gear. Pulls and pushes nice, when I posted about my set up I was asked to try it over really rough ground, I didn't around the yard going over rail road ties rocks etc. Have you tried pulling it through the woods over down trees, large rocks or across a stream etc???

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.