Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#154548 - 11/07/08 02:27 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: Desperado]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Izzy,
Search "Paracord" on youtube. THere are quite a few video there on how to make many types of paracord patterns.

#154556 - 11/07/08 03:28 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Izzy,

if you have Tandy Leather stores in your area, they carry books on braiding. sub 550 cord for learher

RIP OBG

#154644 - 11/08/08 01:42 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: nursemike]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Stuff that you want to have with you even if you lose your pack and pockets.
What kind of scenario do you have in mind, there? I can understand losing your pack, but your pockets?

Anyway, I don't currently have anything around my neck. I occasionally experiment with a couple of magnets on a loop of paracord inner strand. The magnets form a break-away clasp and are strong enough to pick up stuff. I don't want to put magnets in my pockets for fear of damaging my credit cards.

I suspect this is more fun and novelty than useful, though. If I dropped my car keys somewhere inaccessible, I might be better of improvising a hook from a paper clip and using that.

Quote:
Is there an alternative to neck-carry? ankle holsters and wrist-weights might be adapted to serve.
I have some stuff in a money-belt.

#154648 - 11/08/08 02:52 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Red dogtag with my meds on it.
Regular old dogtag for I.D.
Spare key to the door of our home on wheels
ACR whistle.
Little bitty light, brand unknown, that my son got me. It has about four different light levels, and two different flash modes, all in one little package...

#154653 - 11/08/08 04:03 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Izzy, don't have any links, and wouldn't know how to do it anyways....
But the weave you are looking for is either the cobra, or a king cobra depending on size. King cobra is thicker and will yeild more cordage.

-Bill Liptak

#154677 - 11/08/08 11:56 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

My son is 17. One of his friends saw daughter riding in the car with son. H thought she was same age. Stopped by the house to visit with her. When I kindly explained that she was then 12 (now 13 Looks 21) I did so while introducing him to my twin German Shepherd Dogs. They were keeping him company and quiet while I did the talking.

Oddly enough, my son broke his wrist the same day this happened. Said he did it at hockey practice. His coach called the same day to tell me he wasn't AT hockey practice. (Coincidence? who knows>)

Haven't seen that visitor around the house since then.

RIP OBG

#154679 - 11/09/08 12:44 AM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: Desperado]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The horror just from reading that is indescribably. Experiencing it.. *shudders*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154682 - 11/09/08 12:59 AM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: ironraven]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

On a positive note, both of my kids received practical experience in treating a possible broken wrist that afternoon. One from the aspect of first / buddy aid, the other . . . . well that was self aid since it was his arm.
Sam splint, ace wrap, and cold pack. Transport to medical facility.

Luckily one of his teammate's father (Who's family house I built) is an orthopedic surgeon.

I just can't figure out how it happened.......... HMMM?

RIP OBG

#154686 - 11/09/08 01:55 AM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: Brangdon]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: nursemike
Stuff that you want to have with you even if you lose your pack and pockets.
What kind of scenario do you have in mind, there? I can understand losing your pack, but your pockets?

Confusing to me, too-but I cannot imagine another reason for neck-carry. Maybe necessary when your clothing has no pockets? Dunno. But as you can see, lots of smart people do wear stuff around the neck. Moderator Cavanaugh waers the following on occasion :"A folding Myerchin knife, whistle and signal mirror went on a neck lanyard.”
(http://www.equipped.org/0601rescue.htm)

Based upon the discussion, I elected to put the following items around my neck, primarily for solo suburban canoe excursions:

Mirror
Gerber folder
Ferrocerium rod
Cell phone
Compass
Boat reg documents
Whistle
butane lighter

Everything but the whistle goes into the drybag. Phone and lighter go into a ziplock and then in the drybag, 'cuz the sealine disclaimer indicates that all triple fold bags leak.

The final package is bulky but reasonably light. I inserted a breakaway link in the neck cord by tying each end of the cord to a split ring-the cheap kind that dealerships use to attach service tickets to your keys. I put a photo in the Image Forum.

Edited by nursemike (11/09/08 02:02 AM)

#154732 - 11/09/08 10:14 PM Re: Things you carry around your neck [Re: Brangdon]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
I can understand losing your pack, but your pockets?

I recall reading somewhere that people who get their feet swept out from under them by running water often lose their shoes and pants from the current. Or their shirts, if they are going down river head first.

I might not be remembering correctly, or it might just be a myth, but neck carry might stay with you when pocket carry doesn't.

And if you need to actually improvise a floatation device from your pants al a old timey WWII manuals, will you be able to empty your pockets in time?

Keep your pants. Stay out of the water.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.