Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#156161 - 11/23/08 09:45 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Brangdon]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
Under those circumstances a decent fishing kit becomes desirable.
How easy would it be to improvise one? I would rather have more safety pins than hooks, on the theory that they could be cut and bent into hooks if necessary, but some of the other fishing items are even smaller and would be harder to improvise.

A lot more difficult than most people realise. Bushcraft experts not withstanding that is. The RS kit is space limited, which is why I have only added half a dozen extra hooks. All of my larger kits have 20 plus hooks. The intention being to set long lines etc baited with whatever happens to be under a rock.

#182429 - 09/17/09 02:30 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Is there a good way to pack hook(s) so the point doesn't work its way out -- for long term carry ?

#182435 - 09/17/09 03:35 PM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: TeacherRO]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Teacher, one way I was shown is to take a piece of tape (either duct, or electrical, depending on the size of your kit), jay the hooks on it, and put another piece over it. It will lay flat, and, thinking about it, I suppose you could put safety pins & split shot in there too. You may have to clean gunk off the hooks, but thats one way to do it.

#182498 - 09/18/09 01:05 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: oldsoldier]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Oldsoldier is correct, most of the fish hooks in this mini-kit I laid on a piece of electrical tape with the smaller ones gradually fitting inside the gap of the larger hooks, they take up little space.

I have been carrying this kit for about a year know and am still pleased with it. I use the Gerber STL 2.0 knife frequently throughout the day, the Bic lighter and diamond sharpener I use occasionally. The only thing I used of the mini-survival kit was some of the outside wrapped black tape and cordage, it was months ago and I do not even remember what I needed them for?

I tried to purchase a couple more of the pouches in case I ever damaged this one, but Nite-eze has changed the design and removed many of the functional pockets. If you like something you should always buy a spare before the change it!

I like having the mini-kit with me as part of my larger EDC, it just makes me feel more prepared.

Mike

#182508 - 09/18/09 03:49 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
RoverOver Offline

Loc: Kali4nya
Don't forget,should you be stranded Away from a Fishing source,those fish hooks work real well on Snares/Traps!Carry as many,Assorted sizes as,is feasable!Ideally,set many Traps&Trot lines,if possible.

#182518 - 09/18/09 11:04 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: RoverOver]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Thats the beauty of laying them out on tape: they all stay where they are, they all fit, and they dont take up a lot of space. Laying flat is MUCH better than a tube!

#182813 - 09/22/09 02:34 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: oldsoldier]
EdD270 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: White Mountains of Arizona
Fishhooks are standard in a PSK, and have many uses other than fishing, such as sewing to repair packs or clothing, stitching up large cuts, making traps and snares, etc.
I agree that their use for fishing in a survival situation is questionable, as it is not likely that you will catch more fish then than you normally do when fishing, maybe fewer. That's why I learned to make fish traps, trot lines, jug fishing rigs, wiers, etc. so if opportunity presents itself I can fish and still have time and hands free to do more productive things. The knowledge may save you when stuff lets you down. Be sure to check local game and fish laws before practicing though as trot lines, fish traps, etc. are illegal in many places.
Some heavy weight, say 35- to 50-lb., braided fishing line is very good for tying out tarp shelters, lashing support poles, making traps, setting trot lines, and so on. It's much lighter and more compact than paracord, too, for a small EDC pouch like you have.

#182818 - 09/22/09 03:12 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: SwampDonkey]
EchoingLaugh Offline

Loc: MO, On the Mississippi
i like bics, but if i was going to bet on a disposable lighter inho djeep is a much better brand. they are shaped squat like a zippo. they are regular butane, their claim to fame is over 4000 lights. i have had three, and i think that they blow bics away. better flint, adjustable flame, and the new ones come with a child proof thing that locks the gas release up, and usually have some silly sticker around it. i peel the darn thing off. i just picked up a few more on sale at a gas station, 99cents! they are kinda hard to find.

Djeep
I have an extra.

#182888 - 09/23/09 02:17 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: EchoingLaugh]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks EL, I have never seen a djeep lighter here in Northern Ontario but I will watch for them.

Mike

#182891 - 09/23/09 10:22 AM Re: Mini EDC Personal Survival Kit - (Pic Heavy) [Re: EchoingLaugh]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: EchoingLaugh
i like bics, but if i was going to bet on a disposable lighter inho djeep is a much better brand. they are shaped squat like a zippo. they are regular butane, their claim to fame is over 4000 lights. i have had three, and i think that they blow bics away. better flint, adjustable flame, and the new ones come with a child proof thing that locks the gas release up, and usually have some silly sticker around it. i peel the darn thing off. i just picked up a few more on sale at a gas station, 99cents! they are kinda hard to find.

Djeep

Those look rather promising. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Since I rarely venture into convenience stores; are there particluar chains of stores that seem to carry them?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.