Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147035 - 09/02/08 02:22 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...the tank's valve open cause we used it so often..."

Major no-no. It only takes seconds to turn the tank on or off...

#147036 - 09/02/08 02:27 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Microage97 Offline
Pack Rat

Loc: St. Paul MN
Ya my mom made that mistake once and we found out right before grill time that the tank was completely mt. :-) No Problems, just shut it off after each use.

D

#147051 - 09/02/08 05:00 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: ]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Maybe it's the storage circumstances. I have a couple cans in the garage of my cabin. The garage is under the building so under ground level. It never gets quite cold enough to freeze in winter, around 35F at the coldest and never gets warmer than the average basement. I know for a fact the one can is no less than 25 years old and it still burned fine in a lantern when the power was out in July.

#147094 - 09/02/08 04:06 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: unimogbert]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
I can't even think how old my can of Coleman fuel is. I bought it back when I actually backpacked, so that is on the order of 14+ years. The can was opened when I bought it to fill the aluminum bottle for my old whisperlite stove.

I was recently given an old Coleman lantern my Mom found at an auction in her neck of the woods. The carrying case for the lantern is steel - the thing is built like a battleship.

Filled with the fuel from the (now rusty, but not rusted through) can. Had to dismantle the pump and wipe some gunk off the leather, then was able to fire it up without any trouble.

#147192 - 09/03/08 03:36 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: GameOver]
Tarzan Offline

Loc: Washington
I can offer up my experience with a 25 year old can that I inherited from my father. Seems no one else in the family is interested in camping and this can, which was purchased in the early 70s lived on a shelf in my folks garage for almost two decades.
When my father passed away, I inherited it. In the mid 90s I bought a Whisperlite Internationale to replace an old butane cartridge stove I had. In less time than it takes to talk about it, the stove was completely gummed up and burning very badly. I got sporadic flames. Lucky for me I had an Esbit stove as a backup lest it would have been a very cold and miserable wet night in the Pacific Northwest.
I don't know for sure how long the stuff lasts, but having a can around for four or five years hasn't caused any issues. I do tend to buy smaller cans these days, knowing they will eventually deteriorate after opening.

#148624 - 09/12/08 01:50 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: unimogbert]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
In our rough hunting camp we keep a 2-burner Coleman stove as back-up to the propane kitchen stove. One year we had to cook on the Coleman stove for a week as we had problems with the propane.

I do not know how old the Coleman fuel was (it was both in the tank and an open can), I would say over 5 years but less than 10 years. The stove burned poorly, it produced a yellow flame and smoked a lot. After we filled the tank with new fuel the stove ran great, with an efficient blue flame and little smoke.

Mike

#155630 - 11/18/08 05:27 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: SwampDonkey]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Interesting experiences. Some people have had problems with old fuel, but many have not. I wonder if it's climate related? I live in Southern Calif. It's pretty dry here. I bought a one gallon can of Coleman Fuel (white gas) in about 1987. I'm still using it today, and I've had nary a problem. It's been stored in the back of my bedroom closet. Not sure that's the safest storage place, but as an apartment dweller, I don't have a lot of choices. I've had no problems in twenty years, so I suppose it isn't too unsafe.

I use the fuel for my old Whisperlite stove, also purchased in 1987. I don't use the stove a lot anymore which explains why I can go so long on one gallon of gas; I bought a Jet Boil relatively recently which is a lot easier to set up and use. I keep the Whisperlite for winter hikes. I also use the fuel for my two burner Coleman stove, but I don't car camp a lot. I mostly back pack.

#155637 - 11/18/08 07:15 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Interesting experiences. Some people have had problems with old fuel, but many have not. I wonder if it's climate related?

I'd guess that it has to do with temperature changes. Your fuel is in a climate controlled environment. Many people store it in garages or sheds where temps can vary from -20 to 100 degrees F.

#155649 - 11/18/08 10:44 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: Grouch]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Well, actually, I live in the San Fernando Valley, which is a pretty hot place, and I don't run the air conditioner during the day while I'm at work. If it's in the 90's F in downtown Los Angeles, it'll often be over 100 F here in "The Valley." This fuel has been through years of high temperatures.

However, I do live in S. Calif, and I doubt very much that temperatures have been below 32 F (freezing in other words). I wonder if freezing temperatures would be more of an issue.

If nothing else, the S. Calif. dryness prevents the can from rusting.

#155655 - 11/18/08 11:13 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: Hikin_Jim]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...the San Fernando Valley...I doubt very much that temperatures have been below 32 F..."

Not always. Dec/Jan of 1973 we had N/B I-5 closed at Roxford due to SNOW. Lots snow right there!!!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.