Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#153345 - 10/27/08 01:53 AM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: MichaelJ]
SheetBend Offline

Loc: California, U.S.A.
Try the Sawyer water PURIFIER. It is working well with my tests, and the literature statistics are impressive.

#153357 - 10/27/08 07:26 AM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: Nicodemus]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Nicodemus
On another unrelated note, I noticed that the Berkey Filter Elements need to be primed, and they suggest doing this with pressurized water (from a faucet). There is an alternative priming method, but it appears to be much less effective.

This makes me start to consider other methods of water purification such as Slow Sand Filtration.

The priming is easier than it sounds. I'm thinking it could be done using a 1.5L water bottle in place of a sink nozzle but as with anything I'll have to try it to be sure. Basically, you turn the filter element upside down and fill it up with water until it "sweats" beads of water for about 5 seconds.

#153371 - 10/27/08 02:37 PM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: LED]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
We purchased a Royal Berkey, with the black filters, a few months back, and it works great!

We used to buy bottled spring water, in 2.5 liter containers, and go through 2 to 3 of those a week for drinking water.

The Berkey filtered water tastes better, and I believe we've already payed for it, or very close.

I would give anyone a heartfelt endorsement for a Berkey water filter. Easy to use.

Priming was easy, just held them up to the tap for a few minutes. The alternative method is to use a sport bottle, and that worked well as well. I tried each method on of the two filters I had. The tap was a little easier, more pressure, but both work great now.

#153378 - 10/27/08 03:32 PM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: LED]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Ah, maybe by squeezing the bottle to deliver the pressure needed to prime the filter?

Good idea!

If you try it, please post the results.

#153454 - 10/28/08 03:47 AM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: MichaelJ]
BigCityHillbilly Offline
Journeyman

I can't help but wonder what ya'll have to say about the "First Need" water purifier (filter?) by General Ecology. I've seen this particular model on the shelf at REI. It comes with a small bottle of blue dye, and you're supposed to run a drop of dye through the filter prior to drinking the water to make sure that the blue dye gets filtered out. If the dye shows up in the water after the water's been filtered, it means that the filter is "caput." I'm not exactly sold on the "First Need" because it seems like it would be something of a hassle to perform this blue dye test everytime you need to drink some water. "Steripen" sounds like a better deal, but I don't know if I'd be willing to stake my life on it. Has anyone ever tried the steripen? I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to categorize the Steripen because it doesn't really purify the water of toxic chemicals and thus it cannot be called a purifier, but on the other hand, it comes with a solar charger, it's very small and compact, and it doesn't weigh very much, so maybe Steripen is the way to go when it comes to water purification gadgets.

#153575 - 10/29/08 12:49 AM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: BigCityHillbilly]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
Regarding the First Need Purifier, it looks interesting. However, I must admit that I don't know what "Mechanical Chemical Removal" is or whether that's a fancy way of saying "Activated Carbon Chemical Removal".

As for the idea of the First Need Purifier as a long term water purification, at only 125 gallons per filter the whole system seems pricey.

#155213 - 11/14/08 03:11 PM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: Nicodemus]
stretch555 Offline
Stranger

Yea, the Priming was cake. As far the berkey filters go, the hardest part of putting it together was snapping the Lexan top and bottom halves of the Berkey Light together. And by hard I mean it took me about 7 minutes to finally get it to snap. I was a little worried about breaking it even though I know supposedly you really can't.

#155324 - 11/15/08 03:19 PM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: MichaelJ]
snoman Offline

I, too, have a Berkley filter and like it. The one I bought is the stainless steel one with four black filters. I wanted a way to filter water that didn't need power, and the Berkley's reputation was what sold me on it. I use it every day.
I also got the Post Filters for it, mainly for removing fluoride. My city, like many municipalities, adds fluoride to our water to help our teeth. After reading many doctors and dentists warning about fluoride, it bothered me enough to do something about it. I'd recommend doing a search of the health consequences of having fluoride in your drinking water. Quite a few doctors are saying fluoride is more toxic than lead, and slightly less so than arsenic. Read your tubes of toothpaste - the part where is says don't swallow this stuff - and if you do, call your local poison control center. Just what you want to mix into your kids Kool-Aid, right?
I went to one of our city council meetings to bring this to their attention, armed with many notes and petitions from doctor/dentist groups and ask that it be stopped, only to be told by the lady with the ugly glasses that their documentation proves it's safe. She asked me if I was a doctor. I said I wasn't, but that I did know how to read. I, again, tried to show them the petitions I brought, only for her to reiterate how safe fluoridation was. I said to her "So I'm supposed to believe a politician over some thousands of doctors saying just the opposite, huh?" After a few seconds of silence, I just walked out.

We are truly led by idiots!

#155364 - 11/15/08 09:43 PM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: snoman]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"We are truly led by idiots!"

Of course! What intelligent person would get into politics?

From the online American Heritage Dictionary: "2. An official who is rigidly devoted to the details of administrative procedure."

“Some are able and humane men and some are low-grade individuals with the morals of a goat, the artistic integrity of a slot machine, and the manners of a floorwalker with delusions of grandeur.” (Raymond Chandler)

Sue

#155837 - 11/21/08 02:49 AM Re: Long-term water purification [Re: snoman]
stretch555 Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: snoman
I, too, have a Berkley filter and like it. The one I bought is the stainless steel one with four black filters. I wanted a way to filter water that didn't need power, and the Berkley's reputation was what sold me on it. I use it every day.
I also got the Post Filters for it, mainly for removing fluoride. My city, like many municipalities, adds fluoride to our water to help our teeth. After reading many doctors and dentists warning about fluoride, it bothered me enough to do something about it. I'd recommend doing a search of the health consequences of having fluoride in your drinking water. Quite a few doctors are saying fluoride is more toxic than lead, and slightly less so than arsenic. Read your tubes of toothpaste - the part where is says don't swallow this stuff - and if you do, call your local poison control center. Just what you want to mix into your kids Kool-Aid, right?
I went to one of our city council meetings to bring this to their attention, armed with many notes and petitions from doctor/dentist groups and ask that it be stopped, only to be told by the lady with the ugly glasses that their documentation proves it's safe. She asked me if I was a doctor. I said I wasn't, but that I did know how to read. I, again, tried to show them the petitions I brought, only for her to reiterate how safe fluoridation was. I said to her "So I'm supposed to believe a politician over some thousands of doctors saying just the opposite, huh?" After a few seconds of silence, I just walked out.

We are truly led by idiots!

What a shame that's how people react to someones attempt to look out for the greater good. That's bold of you to make that attempt though. good for you!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.