Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155730 - 11/19/08 11:46 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: nursemike]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Dear lynch mob, PM me if you want Nursemike's address.

Sorry NM, I've always wanted a Browning!

laugh
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#155734 - 11/20/08 12:55 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Blast

laugh
-Blast

It's kind of old-has little waffenamt acceptance marks on it. An ancestor brought it back from the war. I had run a couple of boxes through it before I read about the sabotage of weapons at the FN factory in Herstal, so I guess it's okay. Has the 500 meter tangent sight-which seems pretty optimistic to me.

#155737 - 11/20/08 01:52 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: nursemike]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas

Originally Posted By: nursemike
Originally Posted By: Blast

laugh
-Blast

It's kind of old-has little waffenamt acceptance marks on it. An ancestor brought it back from the war. I had run a couple of boxes through it before I read about the sabotage of weapons at the FN factory in Herstal, so I guess it's okay. Has the 500 meter tangent sight-which seems pretty optimistic to me.

I believe that was commonly known as the "Artillery Browning".

As I understand it, the moniker was given because when one set the sight to 500 meters, the barrel was elevated like a howitzer.

Maybe also because it was issued to artillery troops?

RIP OBG

#155738 - 11/20/08 01:54 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Jesselp]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Let me tell you about the good old tirdy/tirdy. I own 3 of them 1 Marlin 336C 1 Winchester 94 (pre 72) and one Stevens/Savage 326-c bolt action. I also reload for 30-30, You can get most of the stuff to reload for around $40.00 I load some of my 30-30 with M1 Carbine bullets that way I can hunt rabbits on up. A little history on the 30-30. There is NO north American animal that has not been taken with the 30-30, Like others have said RANGE AND SHOT PLACEMENT The only modification I made to my 94 was to put a peep sight on it due to my aging eyes. The other two rifles have good open sight that I can see threw. If you like the rifle go for it, When used with a little common seance it will never let you down smile

Edited by big_al (11/20/08 02:10 AM)

#155746 - 11/20/08 05:10 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: big_al]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
My question for you - I see you are in NYC (ditto here). Where do you intend to hunt? The southern and western zones of NY State are "shotgun" counties, EXCEPT for the Catskill State Park area, where rifles are allowed. In other words, be careful where you intend to use the 30-30, which by itself is a fine shorter range (say 125 yds and down) deer cartridge - the only reason I don't say longer than that is the trajectory gets a bit "loopy" after that
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#155747 - 11/20/08 05:28 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: nursemike]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: nursemike
...snip...Lever action rifles are nostalgic and convenient to carry, but tend to give up some accuracy and reliability to the turnbolts-probably why one doesn't see the marine snipers zeroing in their savage 99's (my nominee for the prettiest long arm).
...snip...

A man of taste - I inherrited Dad's M-99 in .300 Sav when he passed on, and it has become MY deer rifle for most uses, despite owning a heavy barrel (Hart varmint weight stainless) tricked out Ruger M-77 that is a heck of a lot more accurate (like one ragged - well very ragged - hole, say 1/2) at 100 yds off the bench)

Why? Easier to carry, good enough for ranges under 200 yds, and most because Dad carried that rifle every year from the time he got it in the early 1950s. With Dad gone, it's partly my way of remembering some real GOOD times with him (why is monitor suddenly getting blurry?)

Dad and his 2 LONG time hunting buddies, Frank and Norman ALL used M-99s in 300 Sav - Dad's was the regular 99, Frank's was the M-99 with the fancy foreend (99r?) and Norman's was in between. Frank and my Father hunted together from before WWII, till Frank passed on about 11 years ago. Dad only started hunting with Norman in the 1940s or 50s, and stopped when Norman died in 2005 - Dad's last year in the woods was 2006.

Those three M-99s took a HECK of a lot of deer over the years - All three men used the OLD 180 grain round nosed "Core-lok" load - and when Remington discontinued the 180gr round nosed bullet, I bought EVERY one I could find - about 700 bullets, and reloaded for all 3 men after that

(mental picture - Dad in the old Red and Black Woolrich pants and jacket, orange knit cap, Red Ball rubber boots, a pair of gloves, holding the M-99 by the receiver, walking through Norman's garden to get to where we used to hunt)

My leg is such that I didn't get out last year or this - aarrgghh - can't walk

RIP Frank, Norman and Dad

#155748 - 11/20/08 05:32 AM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
...snip... I went to a Turkey shoot. ...snip...

Marty,
You're right, live turkey Turkey Shoots have gone the way of, I don't know - but they are gone...

Where they live on is in the "Modern" Turkey shoot - I go to one every year (West Hurley NY - last Sunday in Sept). We shoot at targets (figure a "High Power" (aka 100 yd match) every time they can sign up 12-16 shooters (about every 15 minutes), plus 50 yd .22, and pistol matches etc. The prise for each match? A nice frozen turkey

And RE - practicing with the rifle that matters? "Beware the man with one rifle, he probably knows how to use it"

Edited by kc2ixe (11/20/08 05:33 AM)

#155756 - 11/20/08 01:11 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: KG2V]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
kc2ixe,

You hit the nail on the head as to why I've only hunted with the shotgun so far. My inlaws have a place upstate - in West Hurley actually (you seem familiar with the town) - and I was thinking about heading out onto some of the city DEP land around the Ashokan Resevior.

Any other suggestions of areas to look into? I know I'm a bit late to the game this year, but with my move things have been a bit hectic, to say the least!

#155763 - 11/20/08 02:01 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: KG2V]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe

Marty,

Where they live on is in the "Modern" Turkey shoot - I go to one every year (West Hurley NY - last Sunday in Sept). We shoot at targets (figure a "High Power" (aka 100 yd match) every time they can sign up 12-16 shooters (about every 15 minutes), plus 50 yd .22, and pistol matches etc. The prise for each match? A nice frozen turkey

Yea, we used to do this as well back when I used to shoot .22lr competitively. Every year we would have a shoot like this right before Thanksgiving. They didn't like me though, because I won it twice in three years. grin

On a side note, our combined entrance fee not only paid for the turkey, but also paid for another turkey or two that would be donated to less fortunate people. Most people that won also wound up donating their winning bird, so it was more or less a charity shoot and everyone treated it more as a fun day out at the range with friends than a true competition.

#155770 - 11/20/08 03:03 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Desperado]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Maybe also because it was issued to artillery troops?

I think it is the product of European handgun thinking. They used to mill grooves in the grip strap and fit shoulder stocks to lugers, broomstick mausers, and the HK VP70. sort of carbinizing of the handgun. Only a short step from there to putting rear sights on them that take up 1/3 of the slide. Odd folk. Here in the new world we chamber handguns for rifle cartridges and slap scopes on them, but we still hold them in our hands just like Colonel Colt told us to.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 240 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.