Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#155656 - 11/18/08 11:23 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: unimogbert]
Jakam
Unregistered

My gods, first the propane post, then the gas can post, now Coleman fuel!

I am just one big flammable accident waiting to happen!

I'm going out this weekend and building a fuel bunker that would rival Cheyenne Mountain.............

Just kidding. I will say, I bought a Coleman Peak Stove as a backup to propane and RV, and the first one leaked everywhere and scared the dickens out of me, so I exchanged, and have had no problems since, old fuel, new fuel, freezing temps, 100+, maybe it was this particular can of super razmattaz Coleman fuel I have had forever.

#155658 - 11/19/08 12:01 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: ]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

don't forget the alcohol for the pop can stoves..a trench around that bunker to keep the blazing fuel contained would be a good idea...

#155689 - 11/19/08 01:26 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: CANOEDOGS]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
You can do some research of gasoline stabilization on the web.

My recollection is that temps above 80F greatly accelerate deterioration and crystalization. Chances are pretty good that Coleman fuel has a lot more stabilizers in it than pump gas which is what I was looking into when I did that research.

My first Peak 1 scared me too. I finally understood that the tank should not EVER be tip-top FULL and that using pre-heating paste for every startup led to predictable behavior and less time flaring off raw fuel while the generator warmed up. Carrying preheating paste adds a little weight but heck, it's a great fire starting aid even if the stove doesn't work!

#155694 - 11/19/08 02:46 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: unimogbert]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
What is it with Peak 1 stoves. I have one of the early ones ( no little feet) It has earned the nick name of the bomb I am the only one with the courge, stupidty to use it in the winter. It does tend to catch on fire all the way to the top of the tank until the in comming fule warms up. I also use a square of insulation under it to help the tank not be as cold. It does keep things interesting though.

#155701 - 11/19/08 03:53 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: CAP613]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

CAP613..i have a couple of those old Peaks..to avoid the blaze up pre-heat the burner before you try and light it..a blob of gel fire starter,a bit of heat tab,a small splash of fuel under the generator will help vaporize the gas in that tube..it may burn off some raw gas in a yellow flame at the start but should settle down to a nice blue flame quickly..you need to pump up the stove once you get it burning to replace the pressure lost in the start up process..i always direct people to Classic Camp Stoves at spiritburner.com for everything they need to know about camp stoves..for parts and info on Coleman try Yucca Old Town..a Google of that should lead you to a Coleman site..sorry i don't know the link..

#155716 - 11/19/08 06:53 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: CANOEDOGS]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
That's why dad never bothered with white gas. He always used propane stoves.

#155769 - 11/20/08 02:54 PM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
I know and do prim the stove and use fire gel to preheat it. It can still be some what of a beast, I think it was mostly others who are not use to seeing the yellow flams when the stove starts up until it get warmed up all the way. I have never felt that the stove was out of control. On another supject does LP gas store better than Colman fuel ?

#155843 - 11/21/08 03:31 AM Re: Coleman fuel shelf life - reality check [Re: CAP613]
Jakam
Unregistered

I should note, I bought the Peak for multi fuel capability and extreme cold use, but after reading the classic stoves link mentioned above, it sounds like, from their forum, that you need to use small amounts of fuel at a time, which in hindsight makes sense- more air space?

I also have propane two burners and the motor home propane. All bases covered, eh?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.