Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155696 - 11/19/08 03:04 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Eugene]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
anybody need a gas can for their BOV (pickup truck bed)?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/97979/5-gal-UNO-DOT-Justrite-Type-II-Safety-Can

I was surprised to see a Gas Can with a built-in Roll Cage... cool!!!

#155697 - 11/19/08 03:04 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Lon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Metal Jerry Cans, and those seem to be getting really hard to find..."

I see brand new ones from time to time in hardware stores...

#155704 - 11/19/08 05:05 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Lon]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Lon
anybody need a gas can for their BOV (pickup truck bed)?
http://www.gemplers.com/product/97979/5-gal-UNO-DOT-Justrite-Type-II-Safety-Can

I was surprised to see a Gas Can with a built-in Roll Cage... cool!!!

Wow. That's some can. shocked

This Justrite type-II safety can complies with DOT regulations for over-the-road transport of flammable liquids.

I guess the can(s) that I use in my truck aren't DOT approved.

#155713 - 11/19/08 06:45 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: 7point82]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Holy Schnikes!!! That is way too expensive for storing 5 gallons of gas in. Talk about gouging...

#155721 - 11/19/08 09:45 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Desperado]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Desperado

Just post the pictures. I fear that not enough of the folks have seen these kinds of things in real life. Obviously some have, and some need to. It is amazing how the sight, sounds and smell of just one burn victim will adjust someone's cavalier attitude toward the handling and storage of dangerous substances.

Maybe by posting one or two, you can make a difference. Now if only you could post the sounds and smells.

The worst burn case I ever worked was a fuel explosion in a workshop. They were working on a snowmobile, they drained the gas tank - all of 1 gallon or so of gas was all that was in the tank - and they drained it into a milk jug. There was a tiny hole in the milk jug, which for milk is nothing to cry over, but for gasoline is a big deal. Well, as they worked, the gas slowly leaked out, slow enough that they didn't notice the increasing gasoline vapors in the shop. Then the kerosene heater - the ones the look like a jet engine - kicked on. The resulting explosion would have been a big POOF - scary and noisy, and a 2nd degree burn or so - if they hadn't had a gallon of gas in a thin-wall plastic container. The container basically instantly melted, dropped the gasoline, which flowed fire onto the two of them. Their synthetic clothing caught fire, and although they managed to get our of the workshop quickly enough, it was not before they had suffered 3rd degree burns on their face, hands, head and genitals. When we got there to put out the fire, the medics were already on scene doing what they could, but their skin was literally peeling off them and exposing charred muscle tissue. They were screaming like you can't imagine, and prepping for the airlift for them was - without a doubt - the worst call for an adult I ever did. I'd much prefer a call for a fatal wreck to a massive burn victim. The only thing worse is a pediatric major trauma. I've only had one of those, and never a pediatric fatality.

#155722 - 11/19/08 09:46 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: benjammin]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
To be fair, that's a really top of the line gas can, intended for folks subject to hazmat transportation rules, I think you're paying for R&D, a rollbar, and alot of certification. I don't think its intended for home use, or even transportation by the gardener who cuts my grass (at least I don't think so). A standard 5 gallon uno type ii can is available from Gemplers for $80, less when they go on sale. Other brand 5 gallon cans are even less.

#155723 - 11/19/08 09:47 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean!!!!!

#155725 - 11/19/08 10:27 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I was age 16

Oklahoma Highway Patrol ride along. (Dating the troopers daughter in high school)

Multi-Vehicle collision. 45 miles from NOWHERE, but with witnesses. Driver and passenger of 18 Wheeler hauling gasoline trapped in cab. Yep you guessed it, tanker burning and they were both totally cognizant of impending doom. Driver screamed to trooper to please help but couldn't even get close.

Driver and passenger (husband/wife team) begged to be put out of their misery, but witnesses and all trooper could not do it.

Trooper warned me not to try getting the shotgun, because it wouldn't end well for me. I still really think he would have shot me. We could hear the volunteer FD sirens on the way.

I really still can hear their screams, and smell that smell. One of the few smells that have a taste.

Less than a year later, same trooper and I happened onto an accident. Driver DRT. Car fully involved in flame. Burning child crawling out. DOA on scene.

I really hope the potential money saved on cheap gas / containers is worth the risk.

I'm Done

RIP OBG

#155733 - 11/20/08 12:45 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Desperado]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I've been searching for good gas cans. Even the $30 for the 5 gallon ones I see people on expedition portal complain about them so there just don't seem to be any decent ones.

#155740 - 11/20/08 01:58 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Eugene]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Eugene
I've been searching for good gas cans. Even the $30 for the 5 gallon ones I see people on expedition portal complain about them so there just don't seem to be any decent ones.

Confirming there really isn't a great way to store liquid fuels without the aid of professionals.

RIP OBG

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.