The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155564 - 11/18/08 03:27 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
This is not intended as an attack, so please do not take it that way.

I always have told my soldiers, employees and children the following:

"There are thousands of ways to die out there, just don't let stupid be one of them."

What I have always meant by that is pay attention. If someone says use special containers for combustibles, it didn't happen because they were thinking ahead. Rather, it is because someone blew/burned their butt to pieces in the past.

Remember, safety rules are created AFTER the need for them has arisen. Usually right after the funeral.

Also do ya really think storing a miniscule amount of cheap fuel is going to make up for the cost of the containers.

One last thing, I have to have a permit to store my 5th wheel travel trailer in my own shop inside city limits because it has 50 gal. on board fuel for gen set and fuel station. I also had to agree to store it completely full to reduce vapor explosion risk in event of fire.

While I agree times are tight,(I just added 50gal AUX Diesel tank to my truck to get cheap fuel and get to move farther between stops) I just don't see the benefit outweighing the risk inside a home.

RIP OBG

#155566 - 11/18/08 03:42 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Desperado]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I don't store much more than 10 gallons of gas at home (diesel fuel is a different story though). 5 gallons in the shed, and 5 gallons in the garage. With that said, the can in the shed is mixed fuel (premium gas and synthetic two-stroke oil) that has been treated with sta-bil, and I've had no problems running it in my two stroke engines even when very old. Last time I used it it had to be well over a year old and it ran just fine.

#155583 - 11/18/08 05:01 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: snoman]
Jakam
Unregistered

I keep about 20 gallons, I don't know of any local ordinances (I just went on the local city website and checked). In plastic gas jugs, unvented, that I bought from Auto Zone or Pep Boys or somewhere.

I had 20 gallons that sat for about a year, last year, put it in the motor home before moving north from Southern Cal, worked fine. I didn't test the mileage since I was driving with a loaded trailer anyway.

I do keep it away from my water supply, in case of some leeching (leaching?)and check it during hot spells to make sure no pressure build up.

But now, between the propane post and this one, you guys have got me nervous!

#155597 - 11/18/08 12:51 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
1. It's illegal to put gasoline in anything that's not a GAS CONTAINER.

2. As a firefighter, I can assure you that if there's a fire and I see a rack of what I think is bleach - and it turns out to be gasoline - there will be hell to pay in court for you, your homeowner's insurance won't talk to you and you'll be paying fines until the numbers wear off your credit cards.

3. If you must store gasoline, you need to do it in a safe manner. Up to about 20 gallons in 5 gallon containers intended for gasoline is allowed where I live, if stored away from any occupied structure.

In your area, the legality in your area of storing more than 5 gallons of gas without a permit or special tanks is unknown to me, it might not be permitted. In New York City FC2204.4.1.1 requires that portable containers storing gasoline and diesel fuel not be greater than 2½ gallons in capacity. FC2204.4.1 prohibits the dispensing of liquid motor fuels into containers that do not have a tight closure with a screw-type or spring loaded cover. There are more rules than that. Each location is different.

You might want to look into transfer tanks.

4. Use a fuel stabilizer and you can use your stored gas up to 6 months after purchase, if kept tightly sealed.

5. Small engines are more picky about gas quality than most vehicles. I routinely use older/questionable gas in my Jeep with no problem, just don't let the sludge at the bottom of the can get into the tank or you'll be replacing a fuel filter before you know it.

Storing fuels is one of those topics that comes up here several times a year, and all I can say is that I've seen what a shed fire looks like with 100 gallons of gas in it, and you don't want that to happen.

#155629 - 11/18/08 05:03 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

before I sent my old truck off to the junk yard I was thinking of cutting the frame off to make a truck bed trailer. I wondered about keeping he gas tank for a 20 gallon gas storage contriner. Seems like it would be the safest place.

#155639 - 11/18/08 07:38 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Eugene]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Eugene
before I sent my old truck off to the junk yard I was thinking of cutting the frame off to make a truck bed trailer. I wondered about keeping he gas tank for a 20 gallon gas storage contriner. Seems like it would be the safest place.

Maybe. Remember that the gas tank in a vehicle is designed to be in a vehicle - surrounded by metal and the frame.

If you'd like, I can PM you some images of burn victims from people messing with improvised gasoline storage. It's worth the money to buy a proper gas can or at least a metal 55 gallon drum.

#155642 - 11/18/08 08:23 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
ditto on the 6-gallon Wal-Mart plastic gas cans being convenient and cost-effective; and I think I even saw those at the Sam's Club (if you're a member) for a dollar or two less than at Wal-Mart.

I have been looking for (new) Metal Jerry Cans, and those seem to be getting really hard to find. I had ordered some from the Garrett-Wade web site about a month ago, only to be sent a notice from them that they had sold out, and would not have any more. Round metal gas cans seem to be plentiful, but the "Rectangle shaped" (what I would consider the classic design)Jerry Cans seem to be going away.
It seems I recall seeing a reference to a "California EPA standard" or something along that line; so I wonder if the Jerry Cans are being legislated out of existence for some reason?

#155644 - 11/18/08 09:12 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: Lon]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I think the California EPA reference is to the CARB device found on alot of plastic gas cans, its a doohickey that controls the amount of gas vapor that can come out and along the way also makes it easlier to pour from the can - easier to fill a chainsaw without spilling. I haven't seen them on metal Type II gas cans though.

I have found three good gas cans at garage and estate sales for about $5 each, and I have a couple rough looking Jerry Cans I might touch up with some rust treatment and renew the gasket seals, then repaint. I don't consider the brand new metal gas cans from Gemplers or other places to be a bad deal, they are made in the USA and really well built - just an upfront cost, think of it as an investment of sorts in your family's safety. I just don't have a very good opinion on those Chinese $5 plastic gas cans, I'd go upmarket a bit and get a version with the CARB device on it, thicker plastic at least.

#155645 - 11/18/08 09:40 PM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Originally Posted By: Eugene

Maybe. Remember that the gas tank in a vehicle is designed to be in a vehicle - surrounded by metal and the frame.

If you'd like, I can PM you some images of burn victims from people messing with improvised gasoline storage. It's worth the money to buy a proper gas can or at least a metal 55 gallon drum.

Just post the pictures. I fear that not enough of the folks have seen these kinds of things in real life. Obviously some have, and some need to. It is amazing how the sight, sounds and smell of just one burn victim will adjust someone's cavalier attitude toward the handling and storage of dangerous substances.

Maybe by posting one or two, you can make a difference. Now if only you could post the sounds and smells.

Folks, I don't even store fuels at my home in the main structure. It just isn't worth the risk. As I said before, There are a thousand ways to die, don't let stupid be the one that gets ya'. PLEASE

Edited by Desperado (11/18/08 10:04 PM)

RIP OBG

#155664 - 11/19/08 01:17 AM Re: Cheap Gasoline storage? [Re: MartinFocazio]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was meaning keeping it in the frame/bed combination so it would still be contained in the vehicle pretty much.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.