The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155736 - 11/20/08 01:23 AM Gasoline stabilizers
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I know there have been discussions about using a gas stabilizer in stored containers, but what about using it right in your vehicle gas tank?

A friend of mine doesn't drive much, and a tank of gas lasts her a long time. Would it be advantageous for her to add one of those stabilizers to her tank? She just filled it up for the winter at today's $2/gal, and it will probably (literally) last her all winter.

If this stuff is suitable, are there any recommended types or brands? Is there something better?

Thanks!

Sue

#155739 - 11/20/08 01:55 AM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
It should be fine. The only thing I have ever noticed is an odd smell from the exhaust when first stating the engine

RIP OBG

#155742 - 11/20/08 03:08 AM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
Jakam
Unregistered

Some claims made here-
http://www.nitro-pak.com/product_info.php?cPath=42_232&products_id=1054

I have never used, but this company has always done me right (nitro-pak).

#155759 - 11/20/08 01:32 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
When out home on wheels was a Class A motorhome (gas powered of course), with us sitting in one place for five or six months at a time, we kept the tank as full as possible, and added Sta-bil to the tank, at the ratio recommended. Started the engine at least once a month and let it idle for 20 minutes or so. Never had a problem...

#155764 - 11/20/08 02:10 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Sta-Bil seems to be the most popular brand out there, and I've used it in my tank with no ill effects. I've heard good things about the Pri-G stabilizer/gas treatment stuff too. It's more expensive, but sounds like it does a bit better than the mainstream.

Basically, you are trying to keep the solvent elements from reacting, keep water out of the system, and keep the whole mess from polymerizing.

Does it make anyone else wonder why these chemicals aren't already added to gasoline by the producers to keep gas from going bad so fast? We add all sorts of chemicals to our food to keep it from going bad, and it doesn't seem to raise any economical issues there, so why not do the same with our fuel? I mean, how much do you suppose it is costing every year for people to have to remedy problems caused by bad/old fuel? Burning cruddy gasoline most certainly creates more pollution, so if for no other reason, mitigating the environmental impacts alone would seem to be worth the effort and cost in this day and age.

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes, except that someone's pockets are getting lined deeper and deeper with my hard earned cash for no other reason than greed.

#155766 - 11/20/08 02:31 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: benjammin]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: benjammin
Sta-Bil seems to be the most popular brand out there, and I've used it in my tank with no ill effects. I've heard good things about the Pri-G stabilizer/gas treatment stuff too. It's more expensive, but sounds like it does a bit better than the mainstream.

Basically, you are trying to keep the solvent elements from reacting, keep water out of the system, and keep the whole mess from polymerizing.

Does it make anyone else wonder why these chemicals aren't already added to gasoline by the producers to keep gas from going bad so fast? We add all sorts of chemicals to our food to keep it from going bad, and it doesn't seem to raise any economical issues there, so why not do the same with our fuel? I mean, how much do you suppose it is costing every year for people to have to remedy problems caused by bad/old fuel? Burning cruddy gasoline most certainly creates more pollution, so if for no other reason, mitigating the environmental impacts alone would seem to be worth the effort and cost in this day and age.

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes, except that someone's pockets are getting lined deeper and deeper with my hard earned cash for no other reason than greed.

Main reason is, most gas is used up within a relatively short amount of time. For example, the gas stations might get a load of new fuel every month, people normally use the fuel in their cars up within two weeks or less, ect. Really no reason to add stabilizer to all gas if very little of it is kept for long term storage, all that would do is jack up the price. Diesel/Fuel-oil on the other hand, does get more additives in the winter to help it last longer and to prevent thickening when cold, as well as growing microbes.

#155768 - 11/20/08 02:53 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Paul810]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Paul810

Main reason is, most gas is used up within a relatively short amount of time. For example, the gas stations might get a load of new fuel every month, people normally use the fuel in their cars up within two weeks or less, ect. Really no reason to add stabilizer to all gas if very little of it is kept for long term storage, all that would do is jack up the price. Diesel/Fuel-oil on the other hand, does get more additives in the winter to help it last longer and to prevent thickening when cold, as well as growing microbes.

Oil companies don't store gas. They make it and sell it. Efficient supply chain would see the gas stored for as little time as possible.

There is also a seasonal blend change as part of the production/use cycle so 6 month old gas is the production & delivery system would be quite old.

#155781 - 11/20/08 04:09 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
There are alot of products out there, Sue. AutoZone, NAPA, Checker, etc have all kinds of gas treatment. ALL have an additive like Sta-Bil to help prolong the life and reduce gumming.

If I were in your friend's situation, I'd use Sta-Bil.

#155782 - 11/20/08 04:22 PM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Stretch]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Stretch
If I were in your friend's situation, I'd use Sta-Bil.

I've used Sta-Bil for many, many years after finding out about old gasoline the hard way. I had parked a snowmobile at the end of winter and failed to drain or treat the remainder of gasoline in the tank. The next winter, on a very cold snowy day, no amount of pulling on that starter rope would start the engine. We drained the old gasoline and filled it with fresh. It started immediately and ran fine thereafter. Once I started using Sta-Bil, I never had a similar problem.

I'm pretty sure that the directions for Sta-Bil include a mix ratio for long term storage and another for everyday use.

Edited by Grouch (11/20/08 04:23 PM)

#155831 - 11/21/08 12:46 AM Re: Gasoline stabilizers [Re: Susan]
learnmore Offline

Loc: Western Michigan
If the gas in your area has 10% ethenol then I would highly recommend Star Brite Star Tron in addition to Stabil. It is very popular boaters because the ethenol and moisture do not mix well. Your friend can purchase it at any marine supply store. Well worth it during the winter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.