Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155776 - 11/20/08 03:39 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...handguns for rifle cartridges and slap scopes on them, but we still hold them in our hands just like Colonel Colt told us to..."

I think that the ATF has a hand in that (no pun intended) too, since putting a shoulder stock on a handgun is kindasorta illegal...

#155804 - 11/20/08 09:16 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
"...handguns for rifle cartridges and slap scopes on them, but we still hold them in our hands just like Colonel Colt told us to..."

I think that the ATF has a hand in that (no pun intended) too, since putting a shoulder stock on a handgun is kindasorta illegal...

I believe that proves the point.
Why is it illegal? A shoulder stock renders a handgun less concealable and maybe more accurate and controllable, which seem like qualities that BATF ought to encourage. But-it is illegal. Why? Because it is just flippin' wrong, that's why. You would never imagine John Wayne drawing his peacemaker, clipping a stock on it, shouldering it and firing at some miscreant. Wouldn't happen.

#155813 - 11/20/08 10:36 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Paul810]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Paul810
Originally Posted By: kc2ixe

Marty,

Where they live on is in the "Modern" Turkey shoot - I go to one every year (West Hurley NY - last Sunday in Sept). We shoot at targets (figure a "High Power" (aka 100 yd match) every time they can sign up 12-16 shooters (about every 15 minutes), plus 50 yd .22, and pistol matches etc. The prise for each match? A nice frozen turkey

Yea, we used to do this as well back when I used to shoot .22lr competitively. Every year we would have a shoot like this right before Thanksgiving. They didn't like me though, because I won it twice in three years. grin

On a side note, our combined entrance fee not only paid for the turkey, but also paid for another turkey or two that would be donated to less fortunate people. Most people that won also wound up donating their winning bird, so it was more or less a charity shoot and everyone treated it more as a fun day out at the range with friends than a true competition.

About what most of our gang does too - Won a couple of Turkeys in 3 years? How about winning 3 in one day, and then doing it again the next year (we have a limit - 3 Turkeys max) - I ened up bringing ONE home each year, and donated the other 2
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#155814 - 11/20/08 10:38 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Jesselp]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jesselp
kc2ixe,

You hit the nail on the head as to why I've only hunted with the shotgun so far. My inlaws have a place upstate - in West Hurley actually (you seem familiar with the town) - and I was thinking about heading out onto some of the city DEP land around the Ashokan Resevior.

Any other suggestions of areas to look into? I know I'm a bit late to the game this year, but with my move things have been a bit hectic, to say the least!

That's home away from Home - if you're in the park, rifles work - I'll contact you via PM

#155816 - 11/20/08 10:44 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Jesselp]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hard to go wrong with a good .30-30. The price is a little high, but not horrific. Is he tossing in ammunition?

And performance is a big jump. For things like a charging bull or an engine block, I'd prefer a 12ga slug, but the .30-30 gives you less recoil, greater range, accuracy, lighter ammo weight, and more cost efficent ammo. Ballistically, .30-30 and 7.62x39mm are nearly identical- a hundred million AK and SKS users can't all be wrong. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#155820 - 11/20/08 11:09 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: OldBaldGuy]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
In rifle calibers, it's considered a short barreled rifle. IIRC they're legal if you've got the right form ($200). They'd have a lot more power than the usual handgun & be more easily concealed than a rifle. Legal lengths are 16/18" (rifle/shotgun) barrel & overall length of 26".

#155822 - 11/20/08 11:13 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: nursemike]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

[quote=nursemike
I believe that proves the point.
Why is it illegal? A shoulder stock renders a handgun less concealable and maybe more accurate and controllable, which seem like qualities that BATF ought to encourage. But-it is illegal. Why? Because it is just flippin' wrong, that's why. You would never imagine John Wayne drawing his peacemaker, clipping a stock on it, shouldering it and firing at some miscreant. Wouldn't happen. [/quote]

Sigh, for the same reason that if you take a Ruger Charger action, and put a barrel from a 10/22 on it, you're legal, but take a 10/22 action, and put a charger barrel on it, you've made an NFA weapon, and it's illegal - the actions are identical except for markings, but put that 10-22 action in a charger stock and barrel, and you've made a "short barrel rifle"

#155826 - 11/20/08 11:32 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: ironraven]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
And most any .30-30 rifle is more accurate than most AK's, at least in my experience...

#155942 - 11/21/08 09:47 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: Jesselp]
MMULLINS Offline
CRUMP

Loc: GREAT FALLS, MT
Jesselp, of course the 30-30 isn't the most "flat shooting" of the available deer rifles, but it will sure do the job well. Will it work better than the shotgun? No, only different. You will have womewhat more range, I feel the practical range of the 30-30 is about 200 yards. Not to say that it won't work a lot farther, it's just that the cartridge, range should be limited for the sake of ensuring you make a KILLING, humane shot on the deer, or black bear or whatever. Not to mention, game animals don't always fall down dead at the first shot. sometimes, they run some ways. Sometimes, not. Look at it like this, if you shoot a deer at 50 yards after either stalking it, or while sitting in a stand waiting on it, and it runs, you have from 50 yards, until 200 or maybe a little bit more to continue to make hits on the deer until it falls down, or dies. If however, you make a shot at that 200 yard initial shot and the deer runs, you have to start shooting again from that 200 yards, on farther out until the animal falls. Which do you want to have to do? I know someone might answer here and say 200 yards is pretty short of a range limitation for the 30-30, and sometimes it is. But the thing is that not everyone is a long range guru, and you said yourself that your a little bit inexperienced. That's ok, I am plenty experienced, yet I limit my shots pretty drastically because I like to make sure I drop the animal quickly, plus I don't see as well as I used to, so seeing the deer and making judgements as to horn size and general maturity is a lot harder for me than it might be for you. It's different for everybody. You might turn out to be a dang fine shot with a rifle, and end up with a 300 Win Mag and a fat scope with the capabilities and experience to take shots out to 400 or even 500 yards.
As for that Marlin for $300, sounds like a good enough deal, and barring the gun looking like a beat up hammer, or having been used like a boat paddle for 80 years, I would pay that. You should look the gun over real well, and take a knowledgeable buddy over to look at it with you. That way, you won't get ripped off. Yes, it can happen! Good luck!
Mark

#156017 - 11/22/08 05:42 PM Re: Advice from the gun guys (or girls) [Re: MMULLINS]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Jessup,
You about summed it up. I sent the OP a PM, as I know the very area he wants to hunt - I've walked the ground during the spring/summer, but hunt a different spot a couple of miles away. Where he's going he'll be LUCKY to see a deer 200 yds out, and it's fairly common that shots are under 20 yds

Like I said, I've been hunting 2-3 miles from where he is talking about for 30 years, and My father hunted there from the 1930s - I made the LONGEST shot any of us ever made - 225 measured yards, and people were amazed I was able to get a shot that long (OLD woods road abandoned since the 19 teens, but still somewhat clear - pure luck to see the deer)

The SHORTEST shot? Somewhere between 3 and 4 yards - I was sitting up against a stone fence when the deer stepped OVER the fence, walked between my legs, and started walking away - I had to wait for her (it was a doe) to get far enough to raise my rifle - think about it - a 3 yd shot, your rifle is a significant portion of the distance

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 45 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
27 minutes 22 seconds ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.