Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#155676 - 11/19/08 05:53 AM Re: What’s communication about risks called? [Re: rescueguru]
Jakam
Unregistered

Didn't Homeland Security take on some of that? Disaster Recovery, FEMA, Civil Defense, even parts of CDC? At least from a reporting structure or command tree?

So if it's threat level, versus emergency preparedness, versus risk gap analysis, versus disaster mitigation- so many ways to slice and dice such a topic........

I guess it would help to know what specific risks you are in need of being informed of, just natural disasters, or human threats, or environmental, and if the info is meant for consumers/regular folks, or for academics, or government types...........

#155683 - 11/19/08 07:24 AM Re: What’s communication about risks called? [Re: ]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

thanks guys. I'm not actually looking for information on risks or prepardness, i'm fairly formiliar with those in both mine educational background and mine professional carreer.

I was looking for proper scientific papers about the diffrent methodes and ways a organisation can inform civilians about risks. Most scnientific papers i have found are about medical or food related risk communication, but not much about disaster related risk communication.

I will try some of the suggestions when í'm one a diffrent computer, this one doesn't have as much clearance and google scholar isn't giving me any luck.

#155688 - 11/19/08 01:21 PM Re: What’s communication about risks called? [Re: Tjin]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I don't have a good answer myself to the original question, but I was just thinking about the issue of trying to educate the public about various risks.

It is certainly a challenge. Whether you are a San Francisco emergency management official trying to educate the public about the dangers of earthquakes and the need to prepare, to a financial expert trying to educate and warn people about the need to save and invest money for retirement, to a scientist trying to communicate the risks of a long-running drought or global warming, to a doctor trying to warn a patient that they need to try and control their blood pressure, people just have a hard to time comprehending such important topics. We humans generally tend not to mentally deal well with events which are "large" or far in the future. Or sometimes things are too painful to want to deal with so we just ignore the problem and simply hope that we won't have to eventually deal with it.

#155731 - 11/19/08 11:49 PM Re: What’s communication about risks called? [Re: Tjin]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
PC2K: Not my book but:
http://archone.tamu.edu/hrrc/Publications/books/FEMA%20book/FEMA%20book%20in%20PDF/FEMACh%201Intro(3).pdf

"... risk communication explains specifically what are the personal risks associated with risk area occupancy and also the hazard adjustments that can be taken to reduce hazard vulnerability."

This is the topic you're looking for.

I suggest you look for papers by Michael K. Lindell, Carla Prater, or Ronald W. Perry. These are the 3 authors of "Introduction to Emergency Management".

Book student companion site:
http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=0471772607&bcsId=3495

Check out the "Additional Emergency Management Resources" link on the left. There is a PDF titled "Risk_Communication_MultiEthnic.PDF". This paper may be too theoretical, but their papers tend to bury specifics in the middle. Also, there is an extensive bibliography at the end. Hope this helps.

Edited by ki4buc (11/19/08 11:52 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 302 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.