Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#137575 - 06/25/08 12:53 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: BillLiptak]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: BillLiptak
My brother has a HiPoint in 9mm, loves it.

Is it just me, or is anyone else always reminded of a Komodo Dragon every time they see this carbine? wink

#155285 - 11/15/08 02:13 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: ]
camerono Offline

Thought I should update on my AR-7 issues. I sent the Henry Survival Rifle back to Henry a month ago. The issues were jamming, not firing and obviously not feeding. When I got it back I took it out and had the exact same problems. I am not being a crybaby about this it only fired about 20% of the time.

Called them again and they have agreed to replace it. Still waiting for the new rifle. Will update when I receive and have a chance to try it out.

I should mention customer service is very accommodating and they sent me free UPS shipping labels both times.

Also as a side note. I was watching I think the Discovery channel and saw a Henry Rifle TV advertisement. First time I have ever seen a gun ad on TV.

Cameron

#155289 - 11/15/08 03:13 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: camerono]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
That's good to know. I've always liked the AR7 design, but I've also always heard they're pretty much hit or miss.

I want to pick up one of the Marlin Papooses. It's slightly more expensive than the Henry AR7, but it's supposed to be more reliable and accurate over all, while still being almost as compact.

I've also seen Taurus makes a nifty little stainless pump action carbine in .22LR that is a take down (it separates into two pieces).

Decisions....decisions...... eek

#155294 - 11/15/08 03:49 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Paul810]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Paul,

I have a Marlin Papoose and have been pleased with it, we had a good discussion on them here

Lately I have been using a Savage .22RF/.20ga Camper Combination gun more with success. My eyes are not as good as they used to be and it is easier to hit a grouse with a load of 6's than with a .22 bullet.

Mike

#155305 - 11/15/08 07:05 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: SwampDonkey]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Can you post up a picture of the .22/20 combo? Can it be broken down? That sounds like a nice piece as well. grin

#155366 - 11/15/08 09:54 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Paul810]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I really like the .22LR rifles but not a fan of the take down AR-7. Not really sure why but I think its something like the same reason I am not a fan of fishing poles that do the same versus my regular poles.

I have a .22LR on a Butler Creek folding stock that is excellent. However I have always wanted to put it on a Bullpup Plus stock that makes the entire length only 26 inches. I may do that rather soon or mount it on a AR-15 type frame with collapsible stock and rails for a aimpoint or EOTech sight and a front hand grip.

#155405 - 11/16/08 07:56 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Paul810]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: Paul810

I want to pick up one of the Marlin Papooses. It's slightly more expensive than the Henry AR7, but it's supposed to be more reliable and accurate over all, while still being almost as compact.

Never has a Failure to fire with my papoose. a Damn fine firearm in my eyes

#155407 - 11/16/08 09:43 AM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: Stu]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Many years ago, Savage (I think it was savage anyway - I can check on brand and model another time) made a break action rifle. Dad had one in 30-30, but what was slick whas that you COULD buy extra barrels, from .410 shotgun, to 12 gauge, to .22 hornet, and I understand even 220 swift - I gather about 10-12 factory calibers

Being a break action, it's LIGHT, small and handy. The dog is that scopes have to be barrel mounted, or use iron sights, and the action was horrible - when I say horrible, as a tean, I could bearly moved the lever to open the action
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#155425 - 11/16/08 07:07 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: KG2V]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have a NEF Handi rifle that does this. Rossi makes em too.

#155606 - 11/18/08 02:12 PM Re: Survival gun redundancy [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I find that the quality of the ammo is the more important factor. I have an AR-7 that I've had for over a decade, and probably put a few bricks through it. I've never had a feed or ejection problem with mine; the exception being that when I was shooting CB caps there wasn't enough energy to cycyle the action, but usually I held my thumb over the bolt to keep the action closed anyways (making it a very, very quiet little shooter, quieter than a pellet gun, but more powerful).

My only problem is that it shoots low, and the sights are adjusted to the max. I'm not worried, though, as I know where the rounds are going and can call my shots within reason.

Most of my problems with 22 lr firearms stem from using low quality cheap ammo, just like with all my other guns. In this case, I tend to avoid shooting lead bullets with a wax coating, which is about as cheap as it comes. Shooting such ammo will gunk up the chamber of my semi-automatics in short order, usually causing a feed failure or preventing the bolt from closing completely, thus causing a misfire. Roughly 80% of the failures I've experienced with 22 lr are due to this or similar from cheap ammo fouling the gun quickly. Even my Ruger 10/22 won't tolerate it. Anymore, the only gun I shoot dirty 22 lr ammo out of is my Ruger Single Six revolver, because everything about it is so manual that it doesn't care really how dirty it gets.

Other problems come from leaving too much lubricant behind in the action with typically similar results. One old 22 lr semi-auto rifle I owned was a Coohey Arms. It was a sweet shooter, but I bought it used, and the firing pin had been peened down from dry firing before I got it to the point that it wouldn't reliably detonate the primer charge, which explains why I got it for cheap. I ended up trading that gun off for a slick little plastic daisy bolt action 22 lr carbine that I used to help train my daughters with. For being a mostly plastic gun, it wasn't a bad shooter in the least. The oldest daughter could snap twigs with it at 50 feet, usually better than I could (I always claim I had too much coffee to drink on those mornings).

As far as the AR-7 goes, I think it is a fine knock-around gun. It is highly transportable, and mine hasn't failed me yet.

As far as 22 ammo goes, it's like any other cartridge, some guns will just prefer a particular type of ammo over another. Other than the fouling issues, I've never had cause to complain about any 22 ammo I ever bought and used. I've probably shot up a couple hundred thousand rounds of various brands, and anymore I favor using plated or jacketed ammo because I don't want to spend so much time cleaning up. The cheap stuff just isn't worth the effort. My top three are CCI Stingers, Remington Yellow Jackets and Remington Vipers.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.