Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#154704 - 11/09/08 01:55 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: MDinana]
Jakam
Unregistered

I used to store Ensure, or Nutren, or similar enteral nutrition products as part of my long term food plan. But they expire too quickly (in my mind) for the cost.

But they do offer a full nutritional spectrum, and you can buy Glucerna or other products specific to your condition (diabetic, pediatric, etc) if necessary.

Carnation Instant Breakfast is essentially a powdered version of the Nestle enteral products, and gives you 5 grams of protien if not using milk, 13 grams with milk used (according to their website).

The other upside to liqid nutrition is the ease in consumption.

#154721 - 11/09/08 06:41 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
If you're looking for "complete" nutrition, I'd just suggest some sort of power bar. While liquid based can be good, they can spill, freeze, etc. And if it's powder based, you of course need more water to "spend" on it.

#154755 - 11/10/08 02:32 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
sotto Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
untapped local resources ( any fellow californian's ever tried Miner's lettuce?)including those rats with wings aka pigeons that a young Eanest Hemingway shot with a slingshot in Paris when they were "young and poor but happy."

Speaking of rats with wings, here is almost the single most useful Youtube video I have seen since it's inception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DaQv1quZMs&feature=related

#154847 - 11/10/08 11:13 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: philip]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: philip
This article is on getting enough protein in a vegetarian diet.

In the 2-3 weeks it will take to get supplies going in< I'm not really concerned about "healthy", I'm concerned about getting people basic calories. Carbs, fats, whatever, just so long as it can prime their metabolism to burn what they've got stored. I'd be more worried about getting them water.

And I know this makes me sound cold, and mean, and nasty, and a bully, but if I put a steak or lightly carbonized squirrel in front of a vegan who hasn't eaten for two weeks, I'm pretty sure they'll eat it.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154852 - 11/11/08 12:14 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: ironraven]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Nobody's having my dog for dinner!

Least of all me!

Americans ought to be able to live off their excess girth, spam and canned tuna for sometime.

Then squirrels, maybe.

Blech. Tomorrow I'm buying a couple cases of MoJo bars.

#154858 - 11/11/08 12:56 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: TS_Shawn]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Ironraven,
Have you ever talked diet with a Vegan?
For many it is a deeply held belief system based on personal moral issues.
America, and for that matter many places in the world are becoming multicultural.
Even a standard market will have a few shelves at least dedicated to kosher, asian or latin food specialties.
Organic foods is one of the fastest growing sectors.
Would you accept a filipino balut in an emergency?
How about sweet meats or fish sauce?
Several cultures eat partially digested foods, some ( including western cattlemen) from slaughtered animals, others after picking it up after defecation.
And one might be invited to a funeral feast in some cultures where the meal isn't Aunt Hermione's bunt cake.
To think, people find a can of sardines, Mainstay bars and a jar of tobasco sauce roughing it.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (11/11/08 12:59 AM)

#154862 - 11/11/08 01:50 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
Have you ever talked diet with a Vegan?

Dated two ovo-lacto vegitarians, and have a friend who is a vegan. Yeah, I've had the conversation. But I'll also point out that no small number of Jews survived the Ghetto because they were willing to eat pork and rat- all scavangers are off limits. Those who wouldn't generally didn't have to worry about the camps.

I'll respect the beliefs of anyone who holds their theo-ethical beliefs higher than their own life. But I won't respect their lack of common sense. And I will have no respect for them if they let their kids die for those lofty principles.

Oh, and Chris, the only reason why there isn't a BBQ sauce recipe in my will is because no one is willing to serve me after I'm dead. To me it makes sense.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154879 - 11/11/08 04:18 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: ironraven]
Jakam
Unregistered

I was full on vegan for 2 years, not for any belief system in my case, but to try it out and to lose weight.

I lost weight. The metabolic change, I'm sure, plus the lack of animals fats (I didn't even eat cheese), and I was more physically active in my youth.

When I was done, I think I lived on beef for the next 2 years. I actually craved it. And I found every pound I lost and then some.

I guess the moral for me was, I could live without meat, but I sure missed it.

My wife is from another land, and the stuff her and her family eats sometimes just amazes me, both in composition and source. I consider myself a squeamish food experimenter, but I would definitely empty her sister's fridge if no alternative.

And, if any Filipino neighbors offer, eat that balut, selamat, very much. But not now, neither on a dare nor to be neighborly- ecch.

#155439 - 11/16/08 11:22 PM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: ]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
If you look around any city, even, NYC, there is plenty of protein to be found among the critters that live there, if you are willing to consider them a fod source. Strangled rat is not my ideal meal, and I'd need to be real hungry to eat it. However, I like knowing it's there, available, in case.

Pigeon is something that I'd prefer over rat, and I think one might be able to capture pigeons and treat them as one might other domesticated birds. Maybe, you'd rather have pigeon eggs than no eggs.

Any of these would need to be for very long term scenarios. I don't see such events in the U.S.'s near future. It could be a choice for someone low on other resources, out of work, no money, etc., but as far as a resource for a community, I think food will be brought in within a week, nevermind the 3 weeks over which most of us can survive.

As far as a resource to store to ensure you have a pretty healthy diet, as in one that provides the minimum amount of protein, calories, vitamins and minerals, it is tough to beat things like Mainstay bars. They were designed to be a person's sole source of nutrition for a pretty long period of time, because they were desiigned to be the food you put in a ship's lifeboat.

#155447 - 11/17/08 12:55 AM Re: Getting a healthy diet after The Big One [Re: Dan_McI]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I am curious. Some of you are from NYC, and I've never been there. Wikipedia says it has over eight million people (all five boroughs) and an area of 305 sq. miles.

If some major calamity hit there that didn't kill a heavy percentage of people, but cut off most access, how long do you think it would take for food and water (etc) to be distributed to most of the population there?

To me, it seems an almost insurmountable situation.

Thoughts?

Sue

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.