Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#155317 - 11/15/08 02:21 PM PTR-91 and other .308 rifles
Lon Offline

Loc: middle Tennessee
Howdy Folks,
First time poster here!
I want to start by saying that I have been reading this forum for a while now, and I have really picked up a lot of great information here; and I thoroughly enjoy ETS and the ETS forums. So, a big THANKS to all the "regular" posters that I see on the forum.

Now, on to my reason for posting today.
I have been considering the purchase of a quality semi-auto .308 rifle. From all that I read, the H&K 91 seems to be a legendary rifle for quality and reliability. The H&K 91 is no longer available (new); but I see that JLD Enterprises currently makes a "clone" of that rifle... the PTR-91.
I was curious if anyone here on ETS has had any personal experience with the PTR-91?
Or, (if this is not opening up too big of a can of worms) I would appreciate recommendations and opinions of other semi-auto .308 rifles.

#155329 - 11/15/08 03:39 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Lon]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Lon,

I would like to suggest the Springfield Armory M1A (M14). Without question one of the finest rifles known to man. (I may be biased though.)

The M1A is available in more variants than almost any rifle, and is known for accuracy, dependability and can even be used legally for hunting (with 5 round magazine.)

Additionally it doesn't look like an "assault rifle" as much as the HK91. I carried the M21 variant many times prior to being given the M24 and really preferred it.

One thing to remember, If it wasn't good why is the US military taking up all if the standard and match M14's and making sniper rifles (M21, M25, M14DMR, M14EMR and etc)?

Just my $0.02

RIP OBG

#155331 - 11/15/08 03:41 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: ]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I bought my first MBR a couple weeks ago, It's a Enterprise Arms Fal 7.62. Recoil isn't bad at all, I installed a buffer, but have read that they can be a cause of FTE which I have been having trouble with, but considering the rifle is almost new I'll give it a while to decide about the buffer. I'm very satisfied with my decision and would recommend it to anyone. I have shot H&K and as Izzy said the recoil is a little harsh, replacement stocks and buffers might help, they are fine rifles though and I wouldn't kick one out of my gun safe.

+1 for the M1A, A little heavier and more expensive, but a fine rifle, actually I was looking for one around here but couldn't find one used, so settled on the FAL

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#155334 - 11/15/08 03:57 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Shadow,
In previous experience, I learned that the FN/FAL really preferred that you let it kick hard. In other words, go back to a standard issue buffer, springs, etc. Also, while the magazines look indestructible, they are relatively finicky. Oh yeah, no matter how many untrained revolutionaries you see carrying one covered in mud, this weapon likes to be CLEAN. That is unless it is between "broke-in and worn-out".

Good Luck

RIP OBG

#155347 - 11/15/08 05:04 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Desperado]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
M1A is all you need.

#155348 - 11/15/08 05:18 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Lon]
pworks36 Offline
Stranger

Loc: Florida
My two cents worth...
A rifle, or any firearm, is simply a tool to accomplish a purpose. In this case it is usually to precisely deliver a piece of metal to a distant target. I happen to own a PTR-91. I had shot the G-3 at the Silver level with the German Army and felt it was accurate for me. The plus point is that the blinking thing is about as indestructible as you could wish for. A second plus is that it is recoil operated so you don't get as much gunk in the operating parts as with a direct-gas impingement (AR type) system or the dependency on the operating rod arrangement (M-14/FAL type). However, all weapons function better when clean so that may be a moot point for you. Drawbacks: no bolt hold open on last round fired; the iron sights aren't that great, but serviceable; ergonomics are interesting (the non-reciprocating charging handle is on the left side near the front sight and the magazine release is not a simple push button). However, the selector switch for safe to fire is possible the best positioned piece of hardware you could ask for. If you are a reloader, the PTR/HK family is hard on brass and this could be a big minus for you.

Of course the biggest single question after reliability is the rifle's ability to put bullets on target. Over open sights, any of the three (PTR, M1A, FAL) are superb in this regard. As with most things it will come down to personal preference and priorities. My priority was, for this rifle, robustness, so the PTR came home with me. There are lots of aftermarket accessories for all the rifles listed.

One tidbit you may wish to pay attention to is the caliber. These rifles are not truly .308 Winchester, but 7.62 NATO. The differences are small, but potentially important (headspacing being high on my list). Winchester manufactures 7.62 NATO cartridges and you can find bulk purchases of 7.62 NATO ammunition at various times from various dealers. The differences between .308 and 7.62 NATO are basically the specifications to which the cartridges are built. .308 can get pretty hot for a 7.62 rifle so I would recommend a bit of research before plunking down your cash.

Obviously I am a PTR partisan, but frankly any of the three are good, reliable rifles.

#155353 - 11/15/08 07:05 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Lon]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

If I had the money I would probably get a Springfield M1A, or more correctly, the SOCOM version...

#155363 - 11/15/08 09:41 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: OldBaldGuy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I just inherited a M-14. I plan on putting it on a VLTOR modstock. The magazines were crap so going through the process of picking up new ones but have about 8,000 rounds of 7.62 nato to go with it.

I really enjoy the M-14. Depending on the mission I prefer it over the M-16. Of course my mission now is prepared citizen, not warrior so the M-14 fits better into my long term preparedness plan.

I have a couple other rifles as well but I love playing with my Sturm/Ruger .22LR with Butler Creek folding stock. I thought about picking up an M4 but with the economy the way it is I can update the stock with a Bullpup Plus or Tasco T6 (M4 frame) and EOTech sight for less then a half the cost. I already have all the mags I need and a decent 4x scope on it if I decide to stick with that.

#155373 - 11/15/08 10:16 PM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Lon]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Just back from the gun show in Fort Worth. (Dang my feet HURT!).
Took a look at several PTR-91 rifles and saw absolutely nothing to complain about but price. I long ago learned how to make a buffalo scream, so it may just be me.

And yeah, I know I just bought another M1A NM, but as my daughter would say "but that's different".

Enjoy the rifle, and if you find a source for GOOD surplus 7.62 NATO please let me know.

RIP OBG

#155397 - 11/16/08 01:59 AM Re: PTR-91 and other .308 rifles [Re: Desperado]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
the M1A Scout is hard to beat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.