Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#155046 - 11/12/08 06:53 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: dougwalkabout]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
This thread has got me thinking how to introduce a knife to a child or pre-teen so that the right amount of instruction, heritage and respect is given. My son is almost six and while he has been around knives he is still just a kid.

I think whatever knife I decide will be his first, I will carry it with me and find ways to introduce him to the use of the it in daily life at his age. Like scoring an object, widdling a branch, cutting rope or twine, opening a box. This way when he asks for it or I produce it, we can go over the responsibility that a knife demands and I supervise his efforts. Then at a point when I feel he is responsible enough, he will get the knife as his own.

This creates an immediate sense of accomplishment, a sense of reward and learn the valuable lessons we all need in knife ownership.

#155050 - 11/12/08 08:09 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: comms]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Another fun way to introduce knife-handling and safety is to hand the youngster a cake of soap - Ivory works well - and have them carve it with a disposable plastic knife - one with a serrated edge works well since it stings just a little if they "slide" themselves with it.

Have them carve a little figure while practicing safe handling. Cut away from them; think about where the blade will go if it slips, ...

#155075 - 11/12/08 10:54 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: KenK]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
As far as price goes, at this age I doubt he is going to be carrying it anywhere. It would be held onto by the parents, come out when teaching skills, and go back to being held by the parents. With that in mind, I see no reason not to spend whatever amount the adult is willing to spend to get the knife that they feel is appropriate and they are comfortable with.

If anything, I'd want a knife that I know is going to be well made, safe, and can grow with their level of skill up until they are old enough to make their own knife purchasing decisions.

I also wouldn't mind spending a bit extra for something made in the good 'ole USA. We've already seen Schrade and Camillus go under, sending a few bucks towards Case, Schatt & Morgan/Queen, ect could help keep some good american knife makers afloat. That's just me showing my biases though. grin

#155122 - 11/13/08 04:21 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: KenK]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: KenK
Another fun way to introduce knife-handling and safety is to hand the youngster a cake of soap - Ivory works well - and have them carve it with a disposable plastic knife - one with a serrated edge works well since it stings just a little if they "slide" themselves with it.

Have them carve a little figure while practicing safe handling. Cut away from them; think about where the blade will go if it slips, ...

Thanks Ken, that is excellent advice and exactly what I will do.

#155234 - 11/14/08 05:35 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hmm, as I recall, I didn't lose my first knife until my mom took it from me, almost a year after Grandad gave it to me.

If you raise them right, then they will learn responsibility. If not, don't waste your money on them buying anything worth having.

#155248 - 11/14/08 05:45 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: benjammin]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Yeah, if you know they'll lose the knife soon they're probably not mature enough to have one in the first place.

#155274 - 11/14/08 11:32 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: ]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I did not loose my first knife, my cousin borrowed it and lost it for me!

Mike

#155282 - 11/15/08 01:52 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I still have my first knife. I've lost knives since then, but I still have my first. It was important to me enough, even at six, to keep from losing it and do just about anything to get it back the few times I miss placed it.

#155286 - 11/15/08 02:13 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: AROTC]
GeoEarthSensei Offline
Stranger

Knife Update.

I was leaning toward the Victorinox Bantam. It seemed just right in size and features.

Unfortunately, one of my co-workers used to sell Case knives and is still a Case dealer on the side. He brought a Stag Handled (bone) Case Peanut in Tequila Sunrise for me to see.

After reading all the posts of people who still have their first knife, I decided that it was worth the probablity (not possibility) that it will get lost and get him something that is worth passing along to his son if he manages to hang on to it. It is a beautiful little knife. Just the right size with two blades and that's it.

I have also decided not to give it to him for Christmas. I will keep it as "my" knife for the next year or so, as I teach him better how to use it properly and safely. It's what I would have done anyway, but this way he gets to have "Dad's" knife as his first. I think he will appreciate it more that way.

Thanks for all the great advice and for your personal experiences.

Andrew

Edited by GeoEarthSensei (11/15/08 02:14 AM)

#155288 - 11/15/08 02:53 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: GeoEarthSensei]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Either one would have made a great choice. grin I wish you and your son the best of luck with the Peanut. They're nice knives anyone should be proud to own.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.