The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155323 - 11/15/08 03:17 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: Nicodemus]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
I have an Army bivy I picked up on e-bay for about $150 with the two sleeping bags that come with it. I also bought a thermarest pad that fits inside. I've camped in Wyoming in November in it and was pretty comfortable. I've slept dry in a down pour in it too. My only complaint is that the head doesn't zip or velcro securely.

I just open the valve on the pad and roll the whole thing up and crush it in the compression sack. Takes about 10 minutes to setup and take down. I'll also carry a poncho or small tarp to protect my gear.

#155330 - 11/15/08 03:40 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: haertig]
Jakam
Unregistered

I use the REI Half Dome w/footprint, I've found a free-standing tent is the quickest and most multi-terrain friendly. The rainfly has a little plastic window so you can see out without getting out. Lots of complaints about condensation, but I haven't had that problem. Kinda heavy at 6 pounds.

Plus you can use just the rainfly, poles, and footprint as a minimalist shelter if need be.

It has a built in attic, vestibule, etc., like most tents do these days.

#155399 - 11/16/08 03:12 AM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
GHB/Vehicle kit (Solo) - Eureka Solitair

BoB/Backpacking (Solo) - The North Face Bullfrog 23

INCH/Car Camping (Duo) - Coleman Sundome 7' x 7'

(Actually my Sundome is silver with a red fly).

I also have a Hennessy Expedition ASYM and an Equinox 10' x 12' siliconized nylon ultra-light tarp that I sometimes use in hot/muggy weather.

The Solitair is a great little tent for the GHB/Vehicle kit, although it doesn't have enough space to keep my backpacking gear inside during regular camping trips. Next summer I plan to use this as my gear garage when I'm camping with the Hennesy or the Equinox.

The Bullfrog is my favorite tent for solo backpacking or car camping. It's similar to the TNF Tadpole, although it's somewhat larger in that it actually sleeps two very comfortably. It's the perfect size for me when I'm out on my own (or camping with others with their own tents) as well as stowing all my gear inside. Even when sleeping two, there is enough space in the vestibule for boots and a couple of packs.

The Sundome is a true 3-person tent, but my hope is to eventually drag my wife and our two small doggies out for the weekend. There should still be enough space to keep all our weekend gear inside as well.

Jim

#155519 - 11/17/08 07:15 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: KenK]
Brosia Offline
Stranger

Loc: Long Island, NY
I am purely a fair-weather, full-utilities campground sort of camper, so my Walmart tent works just fine for me and my 2 kids. With air mattresses.

but when I go camping, I too love to look at the different styles and colors of the tents.

#155521 - 11/17/08 07:50 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: Brosia]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Originally Posted By: Brosia
I am purely a fair-weather, full-utilities campground sort of camper ...

What ... no brush shelters?? Just kidding. Welcome to the Campfire!!!

#155598 - 11/18/08 12:54 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: NightHiker]
GameOver Offline
Journeyman

Loc: VA, USA
We do car camping at established pad sites. For the 6 of us I use 2 Big Agnes Big House 4 tents.
http://www.bigagnes.com/str_tents.php?bid=11

I've never been a big fan of the giant family tent, I prefer a couple quality tents. The BH4 fits 3 people plus gear fairly well. It has kept us dry in some heavy rains.

I have the vestibule for one of the tents. While nice it does add a large footprint.

We have only done 3 trips (2 of which had decent rain, of course) and the tents have stood up well, are fairly easy to set up, and I am happy with them.

All of my younger camping days were in a Eureka Timberline, still one of my favorite tent models.

#155622 - 11/18/08 03:59 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: Brosia]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!!!

#155653 - 11/18/08 11:10 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
I mostly back pack. Here's what I've got:

-Winter, 1 or 2 person - An old North Face tent that I bought used in the late 80's. I'm pretty sure it's from the 70's. I have no idea what model it is, but it's fairly light for a four season tent at about 7.5 lbs. I've taken it through some pretty good storms (in terms of wind velocity), but I've never taken it through a big dump of heavy, wet snow.

-Three season, 2 person - Big Agnes Sunnyslope 2. Big Agnes has a pretty good reputation in the backpacking community. I have to say my tent has lived up to the Big Agnes reputation. I went through a major, sustained thunderstorm in the Rockies, and not one drop got inside. The rain from the thunderstorm was coming down so hard that there were splash marks almost all the way to the top of the tent, and the Sunnyslope 2 is not a low-slung tent.

-Summer, 1 person - Hennesy Hammock. A very comfortable, practical shelter if you're in areas with trees and not a lot of brush and the weather's good. I've frozen my butt off in the fall. I only take the hammock if I'm familiar with the place I intend to camp. In S. Calif, one cannot always count on suitable trees.

-Summer, 1 person - OR Aurora bivy. For when I don't know that I can use my hammock. Very light and compact, but like most bivvies, a bit claustrophobic. I get the sense too that the bivvy compresses my down bag a bit. I've been cold even at temperatures well above the rating of my sleeping bag when using the bivvy whereas I sleep much more warmly in a tent.

Also for summer, I have a 1 person Kelty Dart I. If you're looking for a one person shelter, don't get this one. I've found it has huge condensation problems and is a bit small for a six footer like me.

For car camping, I have a Sierra Designs Omega tent which is a spacious backpacking tent. My (petite) wife and I fit inside with room to spare. My Omega is a bit more comfortable with it's extra space and multiple pockets, but is heavier than my Sunnyslope 2 which is why I tend to use the Omega for car camping.

Lastly, I've got an REI Camp Dome 2 that I picked up at a Used Gear Sale for something like $25.00. It's a bit small for me (short mainly). I use the tent as a loaner for friends who want to camp or backpack but don't have all their own gear (or don't want to take their good gear on a plane when they visit from out of town). For $25.00, it's no big loss if "stuff happens."

#155657 - 11/18/08 11:24 PM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: Hikin_Jim]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

-Summer, 1 person - OR Aurora bivy. For when I don't know that I can use my hammock. Very light and compact, but like most bivvies, a bit claustrophobic. I get the sense too that the bivvy compresses my down bag a bit. I've been cold even at temperatures well above the rating of my sleeping bag when using the bivvy whereas I sleep much more warmly in a tent.

Recent studies shows that some compression of down
INCREASES its r-value or insulation ability, in fact
compressing the down by 25% in loft may be the most
efficient amount.

It works by making the dead air space more dead, kind of
like how thinsulite works.

I always thought I slept warmer in a two bag system when
the down bag was on the inside. Now I may know why.

#155679 - 11/19/08 06:21 AM Re: Tent/Shelter Survey [Re: clearwater]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Interesting! Really interesting. Do you have a link regarding the increased R value effect that occurs when compressing down?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.