Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#155145 - 11/13/08 07:05 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (lon [Re: UTAlumnus]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Also look at when you go to the grocery. Go at the off times/off days.

I don't recall seeing self-check-out kiosks at markets when I moved away from NYC, but I prefer self-check-out unless I have too much stuff to fit on that small shelf at the kiosk. Theoretically, you could walk in, pick up all your groceries, pay, and go without ever coming near another person.

Actually, what am I thinking? I'm living in the land of valet parking. I laughed to see valet parking at the airport and shopping malls and certain supermarkets around here the first time. Anyway, we love our convenience, so probably delivered groceries would probably become the norm around here during a pandemic, like how you can get practically anything delivered in NYC.

#155147 - 11/13/08 07:24 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (lon [Re: Arney]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Arney
...like how you can get practically anything delivered in NYC.

Yeah, you could have the pandemic germs delivered straight to your doorstep and save the trouble of getting them the old fashioned way. wink

#155153 - 11/13/08 08:39 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (long) [Re: Jesselp]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
In short, no you can't do much about it. If you're caught, you're caught.

#155165 - 11/13/08 10:38 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (long) [Re: MartinFocazio]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Everything starts as flu symptoms.

There was a post somewhere by an ER doctor saying if you're young and healthy, don't come to the ER ( this was assuming you just had the normal flu ). They were worried you'd pass your flu to those who had compromised immune systems, children, the elderly, and most importantly them. A sick doctor is one that cannot help anyone.

+1 on the avoid people.

#155166 - 11/13/08 11:27 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (lon [Re: Grouch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Grouch
Yeah, you could have the pandemic germs delivered straight to your doorstep and save the trouble of getting them the old fashioned way. wink

One of the groups that will get the limited stock of medical supplies is truckers who move food. I don't see the pizza delivery guy getting the same treatment, but I would not be surprised if someone was able to wrangle whatever pre-treat that would be available for the delivery crew of a large "to your door" grocery company.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#155176 - 11/14/08 01:09 AM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (lon [Re: Hike4Fun]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Hike4Fun
Imagine that a bunch of city people have relocated to rural areas, camping out, and are tolerated by local people.

That is part of why they won't be tolerated. They'll be shown the road with directions on how to get to the nearest treatment/refugee center. At least in my area.

I know several people involved in Vermont's contingency planning. I can't go into details, but from what they've bounced off me and by reading between the lines, there is an expectation that a lot of city people will try to become backpack survivalists with maybe a week of supplies and your firewood and water. It is anticipated that some of them aren't going to being to given more than one order to move along.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#155208 - 11/14/08 02:08 PM Re: Is it possible to prepare for a pandemic? (lon [Re: ironraven]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
The Coast Guard (and I imagine all the armed services) now make pandemic planning required training. This DHS phamphlet outlines it pretty well. Kind of long, but section 3 answers most of the questions/speculation voiced in this thread.

http://www.pandemicflu.gov/plan/pdf/CIKRpandemicInfluenzaGuide.pdf

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 183 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.