Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#155374 - 11/15/08 10:22 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Fyi, there is a new film coming out soon on the Bielski partisans . It's called Defiance. Looks like it's been given the typical hollywood action flick treatment. Not necessarily a bad thing, but most always it is bad.

#155379 - 11/15/08 11:15 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: ]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
I didn't know about the executions, I did catch the Ray Mears episode about it. There wasn't any mention of that. It mostly focused on how they hid & survived. Like you said, they did what they had to do to survive. They also had to contend with the so called "fog of war", not any easy task I'm sure....

#155393 - 11/16/08 01:07 AM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: ]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think the Jew's experience inside of Germany is proof that once the gates out of the country have closed, you're stuck!!!!!

The next best thing would be to "make like an Apache", the greatest guerrilla fighter ever known.

Of course, that's easier said than done. Laying low at first, while one learns to survive, would be the first priority.

Any offensive actions must be thoroughly planned out first and would require a shifting of location immediately following any such action.

#155465 - 11/17/08 01:53 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Wolverines!!!

#155488 - 11/17/08 04:20 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Hmm, I have to think that if things got bad here in this country, they'd be downright appalling most other places, especially those nearby. Anything big enough to make the US a tough place to live would almost certainly spill over globally, and not in a small way. I gotta think that for most cases, staying and resisting would be better than fleeing.

#155611 - 11/18/08 02:44 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: NightHiker]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

If you are already fairly rural, then you may be at an advantage and able to capitalize on the isolation. For most, relocation would probably mean passing through obstacles that would compromise security too much. I gotta think that for most Americans, leaving the country is just not going to be a viable option.

#155789 - 11/20/08 06:02 PM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: benjammin]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

Chances are that if the situation is bad enough in the US to flee the borders will be shut down and heavily patrolled and crossing them will be quite difficult. In theory I could easily canoe across the border from Minnesota to Canada. However, if that ever becomes something I would attempt, there is a very likely chance border patrols would catch me. I think realistically the only way to get out of a country with a family is before the shtf. It would be much easier to do this on an individual basis than with a family of four, two of which are not yet teenagers. There are plenty of places I could simply walk across the border from Minnesota to Canada, but again I'd have to be able to avoid getting caught and my kids would have to be able to hike a very long way. As a practical matter fleeing is a lot harder to pull off than it seems.

#155850 - 11/21/08 05:44 AM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: justmeagain]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Oh..... my.....!

I had never heard of The 14 Defining Characteristics Of PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER.. I just looked them up. http://www.rense.com/general37/PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER..htm

Is it just me, or do an awful lot of those look awfully familiar?

Sue

#155853 - 11/21/08 06:54 AM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: Susan]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I agree with you Susan, and yes, I recognize most of these steps are being followed/executed at the present time.

#155857 - 11/21/08 09:43 AM Re: An Historical Escape Scenario Worth Discussing [Re: justmeagain]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: justmeagain
Chances are that if the situation is bad enough in the US to flee the borders will be shut down and heavily patrolled and crossing them will be quite difficult. In theory I could easily canoe across the border from Minnesota to Canada. However, if that ever becomes something I would attempt, there is a very likely chance border patrols would catch me. I think realistically the only way to get out of a country with a family is before the shtf. It would be much easier to do this on an individual basis than with a family of four, two of which are not yet teenagers. There are plenty of places I could simply walk across the border from Minnesota to Canada, but again I'd have to be able to avoid getting caught and my kids would have to be able to hike a very long way. As a practical matter fleeing is a lot harder to pull off than it seems.

Very true. Also keep in mind that during a major crisis the armed forces and law enforcement will be authorized to carry out much more drastic measures (including lethal force) than usual. Which could mean anything from a shoot-on-sight policy to mine fields, road blocks, mobile patrols, aerial observation etc. When that happens the civilian population at large is more likely to panic and do foolish things. Add some paranoid survivalists armed to the teeth and the mix becomes even more volatile.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 342 Guests and 83 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.