Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#154865 - 11/11/08 02:14 AM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: ironraven]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
One thing about shorting out batteries is the risk of the battery gassing out and possibly exploding. It is rare, but it can happen, and the last thing you want is a spray of alkaline solution on your hands or maybe even your face out in a remote location. I've popped a couple of portable radio battery packs by inadvertently shorting the contacts for an extended period. Not fun.

#154997 - 11/12/08 04:51 AM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: ]
JRR Offline

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
[quote=benjammin]

Watching Bear's show is like watching a shaved ape let loose into random ecosystems to make a fool out of himself. I don't care if Bear's climbed Mount Everest or that he's a former S.A.S. guy. The guy's a schmuck.

Yeah, the show is crap, but I don't think that's Bear's fault, he has a contract and has to do as told, I'm sure. He could refuse to do the show and be out a couple million bucks, but how many people would take that kind of a moral stand?

#155023 - 11/12/08 03:21 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: ]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
Okay, I'm going to say something that might make me a pariah on this site but then hopefully, I'll explain my way out of it...

I like Bear's show. I like Les' show. I do know that both of these are TV shows that must entertain to stay on the air. That makes TV a less than ideal place learn survival but I still enjoy watching them.

I'm fairly certain that if most people, even very fit folks, tried to do anything that Bear recommended they would die a quick violent death. Climb down a tree to avoid a cliff? Scale a cliff to get a better view? Shoot rapids to rapidly move downstream? All these are just plain silly activities to undertake in a survival situation. But it's vastly entertaining to watch him do it.

#155027 - 11/12/08 03:43 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: Yuccahead]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, maybe schmuck is a bit strong, it just seems that early on Bear's show was touted as another survival demo, and that seems quite misleading given the type of activities he undertakes. Maybe his is a delineator of just how far you can go to survive, assuming you have the constitution and elite training to do the things he does. That's what seems to me to set Les apart. He gets in more realistic scenarios and his examples are much more mundane, focusing more on reasoning your way through and tolerating discomfort rather than extreme risk activities and consuming things that would make the average person seriously ill. Is Bear's show entertaining? Obviously it has a following, and I even prefer to watch him over the usual pablum selection of primetime junk. When I watch him, my mind is usually trying to come up with less risky alternatives to his efforts, or to try and identify all the things wrong with his approach that could spell disaster for the average adventurer.

With this last season of Survivorman shaping up as it is, the contrast between the two grows even more. If Bear's objective is to entertain and amaze, then Les' seems to be more to give people more practical knowledge and demonstrate the difference between what can and can't be tolerated in a survival situation.

#155047 - 11/12/08 07:09 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: benjammin]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Well hopefully this isn't too far off the track, if it is just jump back into the flow of the thread, but comparing Les and Bears shows, of which I watch both, made me think of Josh Bernstein.

If Les is the true outdoorsman and Bear the happy extremist, then Josh is certainly the bonafide adventurer, running a Outdoor living School, (BOSS) and being a member of the Explorers club.

While his shows are not in the same vein as Les and Bear, I want to compare his two shows like I think is being done in this thread. His first series on The History Channel, "Digging for the Truth", I thought was brilliant. His current show on Discovery "Into the Unknown with Josh Bernstein", not so much. Same guy. Almost the same shows with the current series having less archaeological bend to it. However I think the current show is not as good. Its missing something.

My point is that Les and Bear have different shows. I like them both. But it appeals to different extremes in the outdoor world and what we all enjoy is the overlap stuff in the middle.

#155070 - 11/12/08 10:04 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: Yuccahead]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Yuccahead
Climb down a tree to avoid a cliff?

That sounds like a scene from the original Rambo movie. Except Johnny didn't exactly "climb down" in the typical manner. But Rambo was a fun popcorn movie. Maybe Bear's show is the same. I've never seen it, but it now sounds fun, in a Mystery Science Theater 3000 sort of way.

#155071 - 11/12/08 10:12 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: haertig]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I know I'd rather be with Les than with Bear in a real wilderness survival situation. Or maybe Jessica Alba ...

Jeff

#155076 - 11/12/08 10:54 PM Re: Third season of Survivorman [Re: Jeff_M]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
I know I'd rather be with Les than with Bear in a real wilderness survival situation. Or maybe Jessica Alba ...

I'd rather take one of my best friends- short fiesty redhead, who knows her way around most weapons, hunts, fishes, camps, knows survival and bushcraft pretty well, and is a very good mechanic (cars, motorcycles and light aircraft) along with being a paramedic.

*laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.