Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#154870 - 11/11/08 03:22 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: GeoEarthSensei]
LED Offline
Veteran

Maybe a SAK Trekker? I love mine. Has a locking blade (screwdriver also locks).

#154876 - 11/11/08 03:59 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: SaucyRose]
Jakam
Unregistered

I would go for the SAK, as well, but at 6, perhaps the Bantam (seems appropriate, eh? <$20) with a solitare flashlight or squeeze lite attached so harder to lose, or a Swisslite (>$30)- small led, small blade, and a couple classic SAK gizmos.

#154885 - 11/11/08 06:18 AM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: GeoEarthSensei]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
Highly recommend the SAK Bantam and Tinker. I like the bantam because its so basic. It has a blade and a screwdriver, bottle/can opener. Kids need screwdrivers because taking things apart is fun. They can also be used for very light prying in a way a blade never should. Very versatile and fits very comfortably in your pocket. Get the Alox version and you can have his initials engraved on it to make it more personal. The Tinker is a slightly souped up version of the Bantam, but still pretty compact. I wouldn't worry about getting too big of a Swiss Army knife though. Kids will carry knives no matter how big, because they're knives. My first one was the huntsman and it was in my pocket constantly. I got it when I was eight or nine.

I also wouldn't worry about a locking blade. While I cut myself constantly with my pocket knife as a kid, I don't think it was ever because of a blade closing prematurely. I was taught over and over that blades can close on your fingers and never had an issue. Cutting yourself with your pocket knife is a right of passage and a learning experience. As long as you're taught safe knife handling, none of them should ever be too serious.

I'll also disagree with the statement, "pocket sized saws are useless". The saw on my huntsman was used for all kinds of things as a kid. I cut through branches over an inch in diameter much safer then using the knife blade. Great for making spears and forts.

Remember to look at this purchase from your kids point of view as much as your own. How much he likes his knife will determine by and large how well he keeps it.

PS Don't forget to get a sharpening stone along with the knife. If its his, it'll make sharpening that much easier.

Edited by AROTC (11/11/08 06:32 AM)

#154891 - 11/11/08 12:26 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: AROTC]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
I must agree with everyone that recommended a SAK as a first knife. I like the Alox scales and prefer them in a bright colour so they are more visible and look less threatening in public.

There is a SAK called "My First Victorinox Plus" seen here The biggest difference of this model is that the main blade has a rounded point.

I also agree that a locking blade would be preferred but as it has already been said, we all used non-locking blades as kids and learned the limitations of them.

Concerning small pocketknife sized saws. I have had great success using a SAK or Leatherman saw in the field for cutting trees and branches 1 to 3 inches in dia. Last week I cut through the leg bones of a deer with a Leatherman TTi saw, it took about 30 seconds per leg.

Good topic, I think that at the right time the gift of a knife can develop responsibility and show trust in a growing child. My 3 kids all recieved there first knife around 10 years old, after careful instruction on use and safety.

Mike

#154898 - 11/11/08 02:30 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: SwampDonkey]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I had a large boy scout knife, but didn't like carrying it
cause it was so big, and i didn't need the tools.

This is one I like, fits in a pocket well and still can open
a can or bottle or take apart an MSR stove for cleaning.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Swiss-Bantam-Pocket-Knife/dp/B0007QCO4M

#154899 - 11/11/08 03:03 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: clearwater]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Or how about the British Army Locking Clasp Knife,

http://www.denverdiscountmart.com/KNIVES/KNIVES---FOLDERS/MOSH71830.html

2" Sheffield Stainless-Steel Blade, lambfoot (safer than SAK blade)
Closed length of 3.75"
Stainless-Steel handle
Includes useful accessories: Tin-opener, Phillips flat-head screwdriver, and keyring for safe attachment.

Only problem I can see with this knife is if you get it you may decide to keep it for yourself. Just like the very best train sets. laugh

#154909 - 11/11/08 03:50 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: ]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Yup, that one is truly a proven design. Almost identical clasp knives have been around since the 19th c. at least, very practical and well thought out. Mostly used by sailors, travellers and soldiers. I'm not sure what kind of steel they use these days. But I'd imagine the modern stainless steel versions are pretty good, too.

Well yeah, I guess it would be a good first pocket knife. Especially for a boy who is into the military stuff. The blade is pretty safe, too.

#154911 - 11/11/08 03:53 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: Tom_L]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

anyone know why they used the sheeps foot blade??..so it could work better as a rope knife or it could not be used as a weapon ?

#154916 - 11/11/08 04:17 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Many of those clasp knives (especially the navy version) have a big Marlin spike as well, which was often preferred to the knife blade in fights or brawls according to some of the older folks and veterans I've talked to.

The sheepsfoot blade is supposed to be shaving sharp, at least the older versions were pretty well made. It's too short for a stabbing weapon (under 3") and it's meant primarily for utility purposes. If kept sharp it's still a wicked cutter, though.

During WWII the British actually taught some hand-to-hand techniques with the clasp knife as well. It was only considered a last resort weapon - firearms or the Fairbairn-Sykes dagger being preferable in all situations. But in an emergency the British soldiers were trained to use the clasp knife as a cutting weapon, a bit like a straight razor. Look into the combatives system developed by Fairbairn and Sykes for more information.

Edited by Tom_L (11/11/08 04:18 PM)

#154925 - 11/11/08 05:55 PM Re: Recommendations for Boy's First Pocket Knife? [Re: ]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
At an advertised discounted price of $33, that British knife is pretty pricey.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.